[BBC News] Motorists urged to be responsible

Newsbot

Was somebody stopped on Victoria Road in Douglas?

Did they then say "Sorry occifer, I thought I'd turned up a farm track onto private land as the surface was that bad - I didn't think I needed tax etc on private land"

Or insert crumbling highway of your choice.

If you are going to drive without the relevant documentation then do so when it's raining. The police don't come out in the rain - not the traffic bods anyway. Actually, until I moved over here I hadn't realised how dangerous it was to drive on a straight piece of road in the dry, especially when the road is on a slight downhill and in a 30 limit.

I mean, last year I drove through St Johns in bright sunshine and the nice man was out with his hairdryer waving at people. When I returned an hour later in pouring rain he was gone, danger over. So now I make sure I drive very carefully on the straight bits and make the time up on the twisty stuff..

On a serious note, I suppose we should we should be grateful for what road policing we do have. I don't think a Gatso would be able to post intelligent comment on this forum for example..

This story also reminds of an incident on the track that runs from Archallagan down to the old Marown School a couple of years ago. It's a greenway road, and I've often met bikers - always courteous & slow down and even the odd real 4x4 on these tracks but imagine my surprise when I had to make way for a metallic blue Renault Clio! I didn't look to see if it was taxed..

On a serious note, I suppose we should we should be grateful for what road policing we do have. I don't think a Gatso would be able to post intelligent comment on this forum for example..

Pot, kettle and black on the above point Spartacus... :D

Might have known a thread on "Responsible Motorists" would send you off on a rant Victor Meldrew would be proud of! :cool:

Pot, kettle and black on the above point Spartacus... :D

Might have known a thread on "Responsible Motorists" would send you off on a rant Victor Meldrew would be proud of! :cool:

Sorry not got the hang of this!

Hello everyone. After being entertained by the forum for over a year I thought it was time to take the bull by the horns and contribute my tuppence worth.

This is probably the best thread in which to raise this issue given I can't yet start a new one.

Does anyone else find it a bit mawkish that Isle of Man Online are publishing readers pictures of road crashes (eg recent Richmond Hill incident)?

What if there were to be fatalities involved? Would they still invite such submissions?

Just seems a bit Princess Diana-ish to me

Sorry not got the hang of this!

Hello everyone. After being entertained by the forum for over a year I thought it was time to take the bull by the horns and contribute my tuppence worth.

This is probably the best thread in which to raise this issue given I can't yet start a new one.

Does anyone else find it a bit mawkish that Isle of Man Online are publishing readers pictures of road crashes (eg recent Richmond Hill incident)?

What if there were to be fatalities involved? Would they still invite such submissions?

Just seems a bit Princess Diana-ish to me

Princess Diana took pictures of road crashes? :o

No. Who else is going to publish them? It's about time people realised that car crashes didn't result in a bit of a dent in the car and people wearing a plaster by their eyebrow. Maybe then they'll think twice about driving twattishly.

No. Who else is going to publish them? It's about time people realised that car crashes didn't result in a bit of a dent in the car and people wearing a plaster by their eyebrow. Maybe then they'll think twice about driving twattishly.

I agree the point about photos showing the true reality of car accidents. I have my doubts that these members of the public are taking the photos in the interest of road safety though, more like digital rubbernecking.

If the newspapers and indeed the police are serious about getting the road safety message across, surely they could use a press or police photographer, rather than relying on members of the public.

After all the publics photos could be circulated before any of the families are notified in the case of a serious accident.

I know if I was involved in an accident however caused, I wouldn't want a dozen members of the public at the scene with their mobile phone cameras! Remember for every twat involved in an accident there is usually an innocent party too.

Unfortunately I fear the people who do drive dangerously are the ones less likely to take any notice of such photos, because they think they are good drivers!

Archived