Crappy News

homarus

Bride commisioners were horrified this week, at plans to dump 400 tons of sewage pellets a year at Wrights pit north.

Chairman Jimmy Kneen described the situation as farcical. He said "Despite spending millions of pounds of taxpayers money producing this potentially valuable resource,government is now proposing that it be disposed of at no benefit to farmers or local residents.

We understand that they have been stockpiled at the sewage works and are due to be shipped to the north and thrown into a hole in the ground.

Once the pellets are exposed to rainwater they will break down into slurry and leach into the sea,once more destroying our environment and polluting the beaches.

D.O.T. Director of drainage Peter Winstanley explained that 35tons of pellets a week were produced as a by-product at the sewage plant at Meary veg.(alledgedly 33tons coming straight from the wedding cake )

Personally I can't see what all the fuss is about? .

Up untill about the16th century ,man would cr*p in a hole in the ground , untill the waste disposal system as we know it started to evolve and we ended up with a state of the art , waste disposal facility.

Now the D.O.T. ( after spending millions ) propose to throw it back into holes in the ground.

Natural progression I say ? the wheel has to come full circle at some stage.

Bride commisioners were horrified this week, at plans to dump 400 tons of sewage pellets a year at Wrights pit north.

Chairman Jimmy Kneen described the situation as farcical. He said "Despite spending millions of pounds of taxpayers money producing this potentially valuable resource,government is now proposing that it be disposed of at no benefit to farmers or local residents.

We understand that they have been stockpiled at the sewage works and are due to be shipped to the north and thrown into a hole in the ground.

Once the pellets are exposed to rainwater they will break down into slurry and leach into the sea,once more destroying our environment and polluting the beaches.

D.O.T. Director of drainage Peter Winstanley explained that 35tons of pellets a week were produced as a by-product at the sewage plant at Meary veg.(alledgedly 33tons coming straight from the wedding cake )

Up untill about the16th century ,man would cr*p in a hole in the ground , untill the waste disposal system as we know it started to evolve and we ended up with a state of the art , waste disposal facility.

Now the D.O.T. ( after spending millions ) propose to throw it back into holes in the ground.

I can't wait to hear David Quirk 'spinning' this one and saying how marvellous IRIS is.

Ever since they put him in charge he has been a real convert to this mad scheme.

Does the government Strategic Plan mention trucking muck for miles and wasting energy drying sewage before you put in it a hole in the ground?

Well why are the local golf clubs, football clubs and the like not getting this free of charge ?

This could be used on grassed areas all over the Isle of Man.

The actually sell this in the UK and the farmers get it for free also.

Instead of dumping it just use it.

I understand much of the problem comes from local farmers not wanting the pellets. But that doesn't explain why they can't be spread on Govt owned land or even what the DOT has done/said to persuade farmers to accept the pellets.

Maybe this is being paid for out of the "several million pounds in capital expenditure" they're saving by building the new regional plants instead of continuing to construct the single treatment works at meary Veg. Oh, bugger, that's built isn't it. Hmmm....where're the savings coming from then. Ah, must be the reduced fuel costs in not delivering the pellets to farmers around the Island. Capital thinking there team, well done.

tbh, if it is dry, why cant it be burnt in the incinerator for energy?

It can.

So we come full circle.Use masses of energy to dry the sludge so we can use the sludge to create electricity.

According to a very Knowledgable friend of mine , the gov'mt accounts for 2006 show a sum of nearly £500,000 in electricity charges just to pump the shit uphill to the "Meary Veg" treatment plant.

That's not including the cost of processing it , add on to that the estimated £2500000 it's going to cost to rehouse the owners affected by the turbine on the old Castletown road .

It just goes to prove the old adage , "Where there's muck there's brass."

Especially where the manx Gov is concerned!

tbh, if it is dry, why cant it be burnt in the incinerator for energy?

It can.

So we come full circle.Use masses of energy to dry the sludge so we can use the sludge to create electricity.

It is good thinking from the Goverment's point of view.

Who pays for the electricity bill for the site? We do

Who then pays for the electricty that is made from burning the product? We do

Win win.

I can't wait to hear David Quirk 'spinning' this one and saying how marvellous IRIS is.

Ever since they put him in charge he has been a real convert to this mad scheme.

Does the government Strategic Plan mention trucking muck for miles and wasting energy drying sewage before you put in it a hole in the ground?

Has the Meary Veg facility actually been handed over by the contractor to the Gov't yet? Last I heard they were still struggling drying the pellets!

Archived