Biometric Fingerprinting - Pag Talk

Charles Flynn

The data use has been suspended the collected data hasn't been destroyed! It will be interesting to see what our MHK's actually think of the proposals.

and the great thing is that it is now for the MHK's, voted for by us, to decide what the policy is - not over zealous heads or school IT managers. Its a good result in my book.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ahh, so you trust the government now? Make your m ind up!

At least I vote for them and they can claim to represent me which is more than you can say for the average school IT manager who seems to have thought he can do as he likes. Sorry but those who thought that they could just do what they wanted with our private data will now have to lobby government to see if they can continue.

It sounds like a result to me.

Have you got school age children then?

Yes - two. Which is why it bothers me and why I'm glad that sense has prevailed.

Not that it makes any difference to the principles at stake. Why should it matter whether you have school age children or not in a debate over how private data is stored and whether proper consent needs to be given for the holding of that data?

• 2 months later...

Like this idea:

http://openid.net/

Basically it's an effort to reduce the number of passwords and identities you have online. You specify one of your accounts as your master, and other sites will then authenticate you against this account. Also makes it fairly trivial for you to set up different levels of ID, you can have one for blog comments, forums, that sort of thing, and another for things you like to be more careful with.

Of course, it does mean if you're compromised, it's easier to get at more of your stuff.

Nice idea though, particularly if in the future you can pick something fairly strong as your central ID, like a two factor authenticator then you wont have to carry a bunch of devices around.

Have you got school age children then?

Yes - two. Which is why it bothers me and why I'm glad that sense has prevailed.

Not that it makes any difference to the principles at stake. Why should it matter whether you have school age children or not in a debate over how private data is stored and whether proper consent needs to be given for the holding of that data?

But if the government ran their investigation and said all was good about the fingerprinting scheme would you be happy to let you children be fingerprinted, even if you disagreed with the outcome of an investigation?

Archived