A Run-down Market Town?

Lonan3

The resurfacing has been degraded by the Corpy using its toy hydraulic platform repeatedly up and down ( fairy lights etc ) without putting ground plates or blocks down to disperse the weight. Result - lots of round depressions and cracking from the round jack bases digging in.

Hardly rocket science to avoid causing the damage but obviously didn't concern or bother them...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well Ramsey now has :

3 chemists, 4 supermarkets (albeit one its only a little co-op), 3 shoe shops, 1 book shop, 4 banks, 5 take away shops, 3 bakeries, 1 post office, 4 garages (poss more), 1 tram station, one bus station, 0 tv shops, about 4 estate agents, 2 mobile phone shops, got to be about 3-4 dress shops, and about another 10 shops after that.

What is it with office equipment shops in Ramsey? There seems to be millions of the buggers!

I was up in Ramsey this weekend and was quite pleasantly surprised about the variety of shops on Parliament Street; lots to have browsed through. As a kid we would often go to Ramsey on a Saturday, mainly for Moughtins, but all I remember is a rather desolete street with the wind howling through. Used to have a really good Chinese restaurant there, next to Vannin Office Supplies.

Mooragh Park is real credit to the Commissioners, beautifully landscaped and maintained, and plenty to amuse the kids. The town is generally much less scruffy than Douglas.

I don't think Ramsey has anything to be ashamed of at all.

However, and this is not a criticism nor does it have any relation to my last comment, it doesn't feel 'Manx'. Can't quite put my finger on it, as it undoubtedly is Manx, but it has a character of its own.

The resurfacing has been degraded by the Corpy using its toy hydraulic platform repeatedly up and down ( fairy lights etc ) without putting ground plates or blocks down to disperse the weight. Result - lots of round depressions and cracking from the round jack bases digging in.

Hardly rocket science to avoid causing the damage but obviously didn't concern or bother them...

You sure? I think it is more like the foundations cracked and moving thermal movment. The cracks reappear in the same spot no matter how many times its patched.

But what the fuck do I know? :unsure:

"Douglas ratepayers pay some of the highest rates on the Island and f**k knows where the money goes" - on massively inflated salaries in the town hall, from bottom to top. The gravy train is still chugging along merrily!

If Douglas is not to degenerate into an imitation of some of the less desirable urban centres in Broon land (it's not too late to turn the town around) the big town council aka Government must devolve, through big incentives if need be, functions and businesses out of Douglas to Peel, Castletown and Ramsey.

Yeah ok. :rolleyes:

"Douglas ratepayers pay some of the highest rates on the Island and f**k knows where the money goes" - on massively inflated salaries in the town hall, from bottom to top. The gravy train is still chugging along merrily!

If Douglas is not to degenerate into an imitation of some of the less desirable urban centres in Broon land (it's not too late to turn the town around) the big town council aka Government must devolve, through big incentives if need be, functions and businesses out of Douglas to Peel, Castletown and Ramsey.

I totally agree with this: how much money could the DoT save by letting out the Crow's Nest to commercial enterprises rather than housing the DoT there? I'm sure a private company would value the views of the promenade sweeping away towards Onchan, whereas the DoT could really be anywhere - it's just the admin support section for the people who dig up the roads, no?

I understand though that part of the problem is that people refuse to work elsewhere than in Douglas.

I totally agree with this: how much money could the DoT save by letting out the Crow's Nest to commercial enterprises rather than housing the DoT there? I'm sure a private company would value the views of the promenade sweeping away towards Onchan, whereas the DoT could really be anywhere - it's just the admin support section for the people who dig up the roads, no?

I understand though that part of the problem is that people refuse to work elsewhere than in Douglas.

I agree DOT could be anywhere and do not need this prime site.

Maybe the Crow's Nest was ahead of its time.

Would it take off as a restaurant now?

It seems like the ideal place to promote local food and the " Manx Welcome."

If the right chef and management had it, I am sure it would. It was a fantastic place for a night out, the views were superb and the food by Carlo was excellent. Hard to believe that it is offices now, it was one building from that era (and probably since) that delivered what it was designed to - an exceptional restaurant venue.

A flying restaurant ? I love your thinking !

Seriously though as much as I would love it to I doubt it. It would need to carve out a niche for itself that isn't catered for already as there are a lot of restaurants in Douglas all ready. It would have to be really different to get people in the front door in the first place and the view and nostalgia isn't likely to do that.

If the right chef and management had it, I am sure it would. It was a fantastic place for a night out, the views were superb and the food by Carlo was excellent. Hard to believe that it is offices now, it was one building from that era (and probably since) that delivered what it was designed to - an exceptional restaurant venue.

I loved the Crows Nest Restaurant. The DoT should be moved out into the sticks, and this distinct building left for a business (preferably a decent restaurant) to run.

Archived