[BBC News] Scallop survey finds high stocks

Newsbot

Personally, I think the DAFF should be held responsible for this. An enquiry should be held and heads should role. Announcing that we have a prime stock of scallops to the world was one of stupidest things done in a long time and if the minister could not have seen what would happen, he's in the wrong job. I wonder how much the initial survey cost the manx tax payer.

Stu Peters, there's a story in there somewhere.

Spot on.

Why on earth didn't they endulge in some little white lies.. Scallop stock looks terrible this year, and next year, and next year. Then follow it with they've made a slight recovery...

and why exactly are Scottish / any other nationality trawllers allowed in manx territorial waters? can we not endulge in a little protectionism over our natural assets?

• 2 weeks later...
Personally, I think the DAFF should be held responsible for this. An enquiry should be held and heads should role. Announcing that we have a prime stock of scallops to the world was one of stupidest things done in a long time and if the minister could not have seen what would happen, he's in the wrong job. I wonder how much the initial survey cost the manx tax payer.

Stu Peters, there's a story in there somewhere.

Spot on.

Why on earth didn't they endulge in some little white lies.. Scallop stock looks terrible this year, and next year, and next year. Then follow it with they've made a slight recovery...

and why exactly are Scottish / any other nationality trawllers allowed in manx territorial waters? can we not endulge in a little protectionism over our natural assets?

I have it on good authority that the D.A.F.F. actually sent letters out to all licence holders Manx,Scotish,Irish etc? telling them exactly where the scallops could be located ,complete with co-ordinates and pretty pictues !

I know that we(the Manx) have a reputation for being friendly ,but I think that's taking it a little bit too far?? ;)

I have it on good authority that the D.A.F.F. actually sent letters out to all licence holders Manx,Scotish,Irish etc? telling them exactly where the scallops could be located ,complete with co-ordinates and pretty pictues !

I know that we(the Manx) have a reputation for being friendly ,but I think that's taking it a little bit too far?? ;)

If there's any truth in that, then there should be an enquiry to make sure it doesn't happen again, and someone gets severely bollocked for it.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived