[BBC News] Roadside spot checks for winter

Newsbot

Should be done all year round, a lot of cars seem to drive around with only one brake light working and probably have other defects aswell if they can't be arsed to sort that out.

Yeah some of then cop cars should be checked all year round.

well said.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, it definately pays to be prepared, over 30 years ago, when we lived in Canada, my Dad bought a Plymouth Fury and the salesman convinced him he needed snow grips. These are about 4 foot long, 9 inch wide strips of metal gridding (very much like metal door mats, and heavy) these just fitted in the boot of the fury, were never used and upon our return to the uk wouldn't fit in any car since.

As we moved house these grips would move from garage to garage, until my brother went round in his Transit van and Dad discovered they'd fit over the cab in there and insisted Paul may be very grateful for them one day.

That day came in heavy snow at 3.30am. delivering in a remote Leicestershire village. He was trying to get up a long curving hill and nearly made it, having little weight in the back, the rear wheels start spinning and he just couldn't quite get to the top.

Brainwave, Snow grips. He puts them in front of the rear wheels, jumps back in van, shoots forward, snow grips shoot backwards, one shoots straight through or over a hedge, followed by the crashing noise of breaking glass, he doesn't know what happened to the other one as he's now moving and didn't stop as he didn't want to get stuck again.

When he sees Dad he's telling him how useful the snow grips came in but unfortunately he'd lost them. My Dad could remember that on the original packaging, you were meant to tie a length of rope through the grips, then to the bumper.

So not only does it pay to be prepared, it pays to read instructions!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to bump this old thread up, but a weird thing happened today. Anyone who knows me knows my car, a black Suzuki Jeep with big old tyres, and is the envy of many a 4x4er as well as quite a few coppers.

Anyway, today I get a letter from the test centre...

Dear Sir

yadd yadd yadda <Insert waffling piffle about no MOTs and the Police/DoT> Your vehicle was observed on Peel Road and blah blah blah <Insert some jobsworth who must have been lurking in a bush> spotted your registration is the incorrect colour, and is a none standard number plate.

Wow, observant fecker this one is. Goes on to say that I have to attend the test centre with my vehicle for them to inspect the defects lised above.

NOW, I admit, that since my vehicle is used quite freqently for off roading, and after wiping out both my front and rear plates whilst partaking in the aforementioned excursions, that I went for a vinyl approach which remain in place to this day. Also note that my vehicle is quite unique on the Island, and I have had members of the traffic police as passenger in it, with no trouble for my plates.

Also the vehicle has been pulled over before by the police, and again, no mention of the number plates were made.

Ok, rant over...2 things

1. If I was pulled over for a spot check, I would be quite happy to admit that my plates were not 100% legal to the letter of the law, but are quite visible, and readable. But to have some oik hiding and making little notes in his book for later persecution when they look into the details of the vehicle (the plates would not be illegal at all if the vehicle was a mere year older). I will be checking if this person was actually on duty as a road side inspector, or merely a jobsworth clearly envious of my superb ride who decided to take matters into his own hands.

2. By agreeing to their demands to make an appointment for my vehicle to be inspected for the ABOVE defects, and ONLY the above defects, am I opening myself up to them then deciding to go over my vehicle with a fine toothed jobsworth comb to find what else they can pin on me?

I think I might leave this to the police, as if I dont make an appointment within 7 days, they will hand this to the police, who in my opinion are far fairer and understanding. I have no faith at all in the Vehicle testing Centre.

For clarification into having NO faith in the VTC.

1. They ripped the lower air intake off my Integrale when putting it on the ramp, then had the cheek to say it was like that before (hanging off). If that was the case, WHY WAS IT NOW PART OF THE REPORT ON MY VEHICLE?

2. Ford P100 Pickup, failed first test, was driven home, had items repaired, booked back in and they then spot a broken leaf on the rear spring pack, which was obviously done years ago as it had rust on the break. they swore blind it was not like that the first time, and it was not the case they were just blind.

3. Subaru Impreza failed because "The N/S/F Wing Indicator lamp is not as orange as it should be"

Need I say more?

, and is the envy of many a 4x4er

Is that penis extension envy? ; ), lol.........

The Susuki Samurai is about the smallest 4x4 you can or could buy (think Jimny)

I am not interested in the ground swallowing chealsea tractors, I actually use my 4x4 ;) Hence big flappy plastic plates get destroyed quite quickly.

I have no faith at all in the Vehicle testing Centre.

As well as having a stringent annual test, taxis are subject to roadside spot checks throughout the year.

As far as I'm aware, no one has any real faith in the VTC, especially in recent times.

3. Subaru Impreza failed because "The N/S/F Wing Indicator lamp is not as orange as it should be"

:lol: Did they also complain that it was faulty because it kept flashing on and off?

So how many cars get pulled by the VTC then? They sound like a cheery bunch!

Parked up behind someone yesterday whom I'd been behind for some time and pointed out to them that out of their 5 brake lights only 1 was working. Woman looked at me and said "yes I know, someone else told me last week"!!! Earlier on in the week I told someone that their rear lights weren't working and have been behind at least 3 other cars with faulty lights.

FFS it isn't that hard to check and see if your lights work.

Evening Steamers

Five Brake Lights, that is devotion or a ruddy Xmas tree.

How many headlights and indicator hazards did this vehicle have?

If they had all been working you would or should have been blinded and have right to compo.

I love this forum.

Choo Choo

He is over the last

I think I might leave this to the police, as if I dont make an appointment within 7 days, they will hand this to the police, who in my opinion are far fairer and understanding. I have no faith at all in the Vehicle testing Centre.

Won't that just mean the police turning up to tell you that you have to make an appointment at the VTC - and annoy both?

Won't that just mean the police turning up to tell you that you have to make an appointment at the VTC - and annoy both?

The thing is, since there are no MOT laws, I do not know if the VTC have the juristiction to force me to make an appointment, I thought that WAS the police's job.

That is the whole supposed point of them doing the roadside checks WITH the police, the POLICE pull you over, the examiner checks the vehicle, and if they are not happy, the POLICE issue a requirement to either attend the VTC, or if the vehicle is dangerous, order it off the road.

ROAD TRAFFIC ACT 1985 - Schedule 2, Part 2

Testing of condition of vehicles on roads

4. (1) An authorised examiner may test a motor vehicle on a road for the purpose of ascertaining whether the requirements imposed by law as to-

(a) brakes, silencers, steering gear and tyres;

(b) the prevention or reduction of noise, smoke, fumes, or vapour; and

© lighting equipment and reflectors,

are complied with as respects the vehicle, and of bringing to the notice of the driver any failure to comply with those requirements, and for the purpose of testing the vehicle the examiner may drive it; but a vehicle shall not be required to stop for a test except by a constable in uniform.

(2) Subject to sub-paragraph (3), where an examiner is satisfied that the making of an immediate test would be unreasonably inconvenient to the driver or passengers of a vehicle he may defer the making of the test and require that it be carried out at such convenient time (falling within the next 7 days but disregarding any day on which the vehicle is outside the Island) and place as the examiner may direct.

(3) The inconvenience to the driver or passengers of a motor vehicle may be disregarded-

(a) where it appears to a constable that, by reason of an accident having occurred owing to the presence of the vehicle on the road, it is requisite that there should be an immediate test of the vehicle, he may require it to be so carried out and may require that the vehicle shall not be taken away until the test has been carried out; and

(b) where in the opinion of a constable the vehicle is apparently so defective that it ought not to be allowed to proceed without a test being carried out, he may require an immediate test to be carried out.

(3A) Where an examiner who is testing a vehicle under this paragraph-

(a) has reasonable cause to believe that any of the requirements referred to in sub-paragraph (1) is not complied with as respects the vehicle, and

(b) is satisfied that it is not possible to ascertain whether that requirement is complied with except at a place where suitable facilities are available for that purpose,

the examiner may suspend the test and direct that it be continued at that place within such period (not being less than 7 days and disregarding any day on which the vehicle is outside the Island) as he may require:

(3B) When giving a direction under sub-paragraph (3A) the examiner shall give to the driver of the vehicle a notice in writing specifying-

(a) the requirement referred to in sub-paragraph (1) to which the direction relates, and

(b) the place at which, and the time within which, the vehicle is to be presented for the test to be continued.

(4) If a person obstructs an authorised examiner acting under this paragraph or fails to comply with any requirement of this paragraph, he shall be guilty of an offence.

(5) An authorised examiner for the purpose of this paragraph shall produce his authority to act if required to do so.

(6) A court of summary jurisdiction by whom a person is convicted of a offence under paragraph 1(5) may order him to pay to the Department any expenses incurred by the Department or an authorised examiner in connection with an examination of the vehicle in respect of which the offence was committed.

(7) In this paragraph-

(a) 'test' includes 'inspect' or 'inspection' as the case may require;

(b) references to a vehicle include references to any trailer drawn thereby.

Remedying of defects discovered on roadside tests

5. (1) Where, on testing a motor vehicle under paragraph 4, it appears to an authorised examiner that there is a defect in the vehicle by reason that the vehicle does not comply with a construction and use requirement applicable to the vehicle, he may, whether or not the requirement is one mentioned in paragraph 4(1), and whether or not proceedings are instituted for a breach of the requirement, give a notice in writing to the person who is then the owner of the vehicle specifying the defect and the requirement in question and requiring him to give to the Department within the permitted period a certificate complying with sub-paragraph (3) or a declaration complying with sub-paragraph (4).

(2) On testing a motor vehicle as aforesaid an authorised examiner may require the person in charge of the vehicle to state whether he is the owner of the vehicle and, if he is not the owner, the name and address of the owner.

(3) A certificate under this paragraph shall contain a statement signed by the person to whom the notice under this paragraph was given that repairs for the purpose of remedying the defects specified in the notice have been carried out.

(4) A declaration under this paragraph shall be signed by the person to whom the notice under this paragraph was given and shall state that he has sold or disposed of his interest in the vehicle to which the notice relates or that he does not intend to use it thereafter on a road in the Island.

(5) Where a declaration made in accordance with sub-paragraph (4) contains a statement that a vehicle has been sold or that the signatory has disposed of his interest in it, such declaration shall further state the name and address of the person to whom the vehicle has been sold or the manner in which and, if appropriate, to whom his interest in the vehicle has been so disposed of.

(6) A person who, having been given a notice under this paragraph, fails to give a certificate or declaration under this paragraph within the permitted period to the Department shall be guilty of an offence.

(7) A person who fails to comply with a requirement imposed on him by an authorised examiner under sub-paragraph (2) shall be guilty of an offence.

(8) In this paragraph 'permitted period' means a period of 28 days beginning with the date of the notice under this paragraph or such longer period as the Department may, on the application of the owner of a motor vehicle, specify in writing.

Tests to check whether defects have been remedied

6. (1) Where a certificate has been given under paragraph 5 with respect to a motor vehicle, the Department may, within the period of 30 days beginning with the date on which it receives the certificate, require the person who is the owner of the vehicle at the time of the requirement to make the vehicle available for a further test by an authorised examiner at such place as the Department may direct and for that purpose may require that person to specify a period of 7 days within which the examination is to take place being a period falling within the period of 30 days beginning with the date of the requirement, disregarding any day in which the vehicle is outside the Island.

(2) Where a vehicle is made available under sub-paragraph (1) for a further test, any authorised examiner may test and inspect it for the purpose of ascertaining whether any defect specified in the notice relating to it under paragraph 5 has been remedied.

(3) Paragraph 5 shall apply in relation to a test under this paragraph as it applies in relation to a test under paragraph 5.

(4) If a person obstructs an authorised examiner acting under this paragraph or fails to comply with a requirement under this paragraph, he shall be guilty of an offence.

So from the looks of things, if a vehicle examiner wants to stop a vehicle driving along the road, they have to get the Police to do it (hense why the Police are there with them). The examiner can request you to produce the vehicle at a time/place for it to be checked. If a person obstructs a vehicle examiner or failys to comply with a request, they will be guilty of an offence.

It would be sensible to replace the plates with legal ones even if opting to ignore the VTC request. Before the police call round for a look that is.

Yeah, what I am gonna do is get a set of legal plates, and attach them with velcro, so when I go off roading, I can remove them (damn expensive to replace) and will leave the vinyl ones in place so ppl can still take my number off road if they think I am doing something wrong (highly improbable).

Then I will take a photo of it and take it into the VTC. I don't trust them as far as I could throw them.

Edit - Upon reading that act (thankyou VERY much for providing it, saves me a trip to ye olde gov offices) since I was never even stopped, I cannot see how this letter is even valid.

Archived