Parliamentary Party Spelling

cheeky boy

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I probably deserved that, nice one.

Some of the wittiest replies I've seen for a time though.

I am confused now about the placement of the apostrophe in 'Queens' now. Surely 'Queen's English' is Queen is English and 'Queens' English' is that English is the Queens'.

Isn't "Queens" a stupid looking word when it's repeated many times?

I probably deserved that, nice one.

Some of the wittiest replies I've seen for a time though.

I am confused now about the placement of the apostrophe in 'Queens' now. Surely 'Queen's English' is Queen is English and 'Queens' English' is that English is the Queens'.

Isn't "Queens" a stupid looking word when it's repeated many times?

OED

The Queen's English is the English language as written and spoken correctly by educated people in Britain.

Sorry to divert attention away from the Liberal Vannin blunder.

The Queen's English, could depending on context mean the Queen is English. But that would be more common spoken than written. Queen's English, refers to the English spoken by the Queen, there is only one of her so it is apostrophe s. If the were two or more Queens then Queens' English would have been correct.

Queen's English, refers to the English spoken by the Queen, there is only one of her so it is apostrophe s. If the were two or more Queens then Queens' English would have been correct.

You are indeed correct. How nice is it to see somebody who criticised a misplaced apostrophe when he lacked the capacity to take a joke criticised for ... a badly placed apostrophe.

Notice on an office door in Tynwald :

LIBERAL VANNIN PARLIMENTARY PARTY

B******ds never invited me!

Not your kind of party Hom, just a bloke stood in a room full of people all of them wishing he would shut up and sit down

Apart from one bloke, who dreams of one day being the one that everyone wished would shut up and sit down

Not your kind of party Hom, just a bloke stood in a room full of people all of them wishing he would shut up and sit down

Apart from one bloke, who dreams of one day being the one that everyone wished would shut up and sit down

Ah well!. maybe you'll get in next time ???

I know it was a Joke but I am not sure they want to invite anybody as there web site has not been updated for nearly a year. i.e. just before last years general election.

If they actually wanted to be a "serious" party you would have thought that at the very least they might have tride to build a presence, membership base etc throught it. I have no idea if I might want to join it or not but if I did there is nothing about its constituition, how it works, rights of members, development of policy, election of leaders etc.

Presently it just looks like Peter Karran wanting to call himself leader of something and then anybody is free to join but on what basis, how it works etc is anydodies guess which is not what I would call a political party.

Queen's English, refers to the English spoken by the Queen, there is only one of her so it is apostrophe s. If the were two or more Queens then Queens' English would have been correct.

You are indeed correct. How nice is it to see somebody who criticised a misplaced apostrophe when he lacked the capacity to take a joke criticised for ... a badly placed apostrophe.

How exciting an apostrophe arguement, ooh my toes are tingling with excitement!! :pinch:

How exciting an apostrophe arguement, ooh my toes are tingling with excitement!! :pinch:

It's almost as good as an argument about spelling.

And now to add to the fun

http://www.manx.net./default.asp?id=18&articleid=6888

DAFF Issues Drafy Cross Compliance Standards

Date Submitted: 22/10/2007 13:00:06

Source: Department of Agriculture, Fisheries & Forestry

Drafy.................the typo strikes..........

Archived