Campaign To Save Farmhill Manor

Sparky

Just as a matter of interest and it has no real bearing at all to this thread other than Farmhill Manor was owned by the late Mr William Scholl and his wife Susan of the Scholl Sandal Company.

When they owned this property and when the land nearby was starting to be developed into what Farmhill is now they were absolutely devastated, they spent many hundreds of thousands of pounds on Farmhill Manor and what a beautiful building it is :(

As a Manxman, I actually applaud Bill Mallarkey for trying to fight against the might of these developers who are in my humble opinion not interested one bit in preserving what we have left on this Island and are more than happy to develop, develop and develop!

Last 10

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
this tinsel town 'gem of the irish sea' disney world they are fast developing with the aid of AG, Dandara bros and the Swarfega kid.

Your right. Even developers won't touch Ramsey with a bargepole. Does that not tell you something?

As I have said twice now, we are leaving a legacy of nothing to future generations - I think that is very sad. I want to see farmhill manor preserved, but I'm not stupid enough to believe that anything I do, or anything anyone else does, will make any difference. Its fate has already been decided upon and what us peasants want will make no difference at all. Therefore I won't be filling in any forms as its a total waste of time doing so.

This will be the ultimate test of Liberal Vannin. If they can't stop this happening, you have to question their whole reason for being in existence. As a Manxman I hope Bill pull's it off, but I'm not naive enough to think that anything he does will make any difference to what has already been decided.

the rather less 'corporate' parts of the island that thrive despite attempts to rape the culture to encourage tax dodgers of various countries to come and enjoy this tinsel town 'gem of the irish sea' disney world they are fast developing with the aid of AG, Dandara bros and the Swarfega kid.

They're going to bulldoze Ramsey and build a disney world there? Awsome! See, that's exactly the kind of redevelopment and investment I was talking about in the other thread. Will the locals have to wear disney costumes?

Where is Farmhill Manor - I'm guessing Farmhill, but don't think I have ever seen that building.

You won't, it is pretty well tucked away. It is at the bottom of Manor Lane, which is off Manor Drive (the clue is in the name).

I live a stone's throw from this development and I have no objections to the development itself, but I do object to DD's intentions for the manor house and have signed the petition that Bill Malarkey is organising. I just find DD's intentions questionable. Makes you laugh, really, when their residential arm is called 'Heritage Homes', that they are raping and pillaging anything with any historical value. God, the directors must have p*ssed themselves laughing when they thought of that!

name ='VinnieK' date='Oct 20 2007, 10:47 PM' post='274345']

with the aid of AG, Dandara bros and the Swarfega kid.

OK call me thick but who the fcuk is AG? and who is the Swarfega kid? :o

Please enlighten us unless this is a private sort of joke between you and you!!

Last 10

It's Skrappey who said that, not me. Also: calm down.

name ='VinnieK' date='Oct 20 2007, 10:47 PM' post='274345']

with the aid of AG, Dandara bros and the Swarfega kid.

OK call me thick but who the fcuk is AG? and who is the Swarfega kid? :o

Please enlighten us unless this is a private sort of joke between you and you!!

Last 10

It's Skrappey who said that, not me. Also: calm down.

Sorry VinnieK

Skrappey can you please enlighten us?

Last 10

What condition is it in? What alternatives for its use are proposed?

The manor house is Georgian style with a double bowed front , possibly unique on the island, it has been well maintained and is in excellent condition. There is a fine wooded garden with some enormous trees

I don't see that there are any alternative uses as it is not one of those huge manor houses which could be split into apartments and if the gardens were built on it would ruin the whole setting

I doubt if anyone would want to buy and maintain a historic house if it was surrounded by mock Tudor kit boxes, each with about five cars jammed outside

The pier can be use by you and enjoyed for many generations by your off spring.

Priorities.

Or is it "just a pity it's in Ramsey and not Douglas"

I agree and where possible do what I can for the pier even though I don't live in Ramsey. If we all took the stance do nothing then things like the Laxey Wheels, Groudle Railway, Laxey Mines Railway, celtic crosses etc would just dissappear from the map. All I'm trying to do here is to get people to let those that have the power know that we are not doormats and if one MHK is trying to achieve one bit of this lets get behind them for once instead of slagging them off.

Or is it just too easy to be negative and destructive than it is to be positive and constructive?

Where is Farmhill Manor - I'm guessing Farmhill, but don't think I have ever seen that building.

I think it was the home of a branch of Dr Scholl's family. Yes, the same Dr Scholl who is famous around the world for his footwear and products.

The original Dr Scholl was a philanthropist who gave away most of his vast fortune through the Dr Scholl Foundation. www.drschollfoundation.com

You can't see the house from Manor Lane but they had a house clearance when Mr Scholl died a couple of years ago and people had a chance to look at it then.

AG, initials and preferred address for one of our "dollar billionaires"

'Swarfega kid', one that derives his apparent wealth from the fact his dad was involved with the development of said cleaning product. resides in Castletown.

Archived