[BBC News] Victorian carousel due to reopen

Newsbot

Oh come on sloppy journalists - VICTORIAN! They report that it was built in 1911 - Victoria died in 1901, so no not Victorian, Edward VII died in 1910 so its not Edwardian, George V was monarch in 1911 - but Georgian is an entirely earlier period. So why not just use historic.

Pah! But with today's journalism who would let accurate dating get in the way of making out something is older that it actually is! But being 2 monarchs out - really!

That said I'm very glad its still going strong - its a lovely example of water power - totally unique - if those little scrotes vandalize it again I'll gladly contribute to a cctv to get them sent down.

Oh come on sloppy journalists - VICTORIAN! They report that it was built in 1911 - Victoria died in 1901, so no not Victorian, Edward VII died in 1910 so its not Edwardian, George V was monarch in 1911 - but Georgian is an entirely earlier period.

So what is that period frm 1911 known as then?

Oh come on sloppy journalists - VICTORIAN! They report that it was built in 1911 - Victoria died in 1901, so no not Victorian, Edward VII died in 1910 so its not Edwardian, George V was monarch in 1911 - but Georgian is an entirely earlier period.

So what is that period frm 1911 known as then?

From Wiki: "The Edwardian period or Edwardian era in the United Kingdom is the period 1901 to 1910, the reign of King Edward VII. It succeeded the Victorian period and is sometimes extended to include the period up to the sinking of the RMS Titanic in 1912, the start of World War I in 1914, or even the end of the war in 1918."

Oh come on sloppy journalists - VICTORIAN!

Reading the article, the journalist who wrote the article merely quoted Phil Gawne, so it's him that you should be blaming.

Agriculture minister Phil Gawne said: "The department has endeavoured to incorporate an authentic design wherever possible and the original Victorian workings that drive the roundabout were not altered during the works.

At no other stage in the article is the word Victorian used.

Apologies for being pedantic.

Last time I was there I was amazed to see how the anti-bruise safety rubber tiles around the swings had been repaired,

with concrete being inserted in the cracks. I couldn't believe my eyes! FFS who is responsible for that incompetence. I hope it has been rectified by now.

I remember a carousel at Silverdale but cant remember it being water driven......... does anyone have any pics recent or ancient??

This is the only one I could find at the moment you can just make out the waterwheel in it's housing.

post-681-1193255665_thumb.jpg

Jeez Keristal - you're like the shopkeeper from Mr. Benn (as if by magic, you appear with a photo from the past).

:)

It's just one I prepared earlier. When I was a kid the horses were just black and white, I think the gondolas were also mainly black and white the only other colour used was some red. I do remember the paddle boats on the 'lake' being metal and they were all white with black 3 legs on them. Again a quick trawl has come up with this one, I'm the little bugger being 'cute'.

post-681-1193258557_thumb.jpg

Archived