[BBC News] Concerns over island's car fumes

Newsbot

I thought the emissions test was coming in next year? And that they were bringing in revised road tax until the emissions thing is up and running? I may stand corrected on that.

Anyway, I've no problem with it, as long as they do actually try to get people out their cars by providing things like cycle paths, they push the park and ride scheme properly, and re-look at the commuter trains idea from the south and north.

I contacted the Douglas Development Partnership recently to ask whether there were any places around central Douglas to park my bicycle, as the offices I work in has no facility. They said that as far as they were aware, there are no proper spaces to secure a bicycle in Douglas. On the subject of cycle paths, they said they were planning to introduce an official path from the back of the Pulrose golf clubhouse, down the old Castletown road, onto the North Quay and down the Promenade.

I thought the emissions test was coming in next year? And that they were bringing in revised road tax until the emissions thing is up and running? I may stand corrected on that.

Anyway, I've no problem with it, as long as they do actually try to get people out their cars by providing things like cycle paths, they push the park and ride scheme properly, and re-look at the commuter trains idea from the south and north.

I contacted the Douglas Development Partnership recently to ask whether there were any places around central Douglas to park my bicycle, as the offices I work in has no facility. They said that as far as they were aware, there are no proper spaces to secure a bicycle in Douglas. On the subject of cycle paths, they said they were planning to introduce an official path from the back of the Pulrose golf clubhouse, down the old Castletown road, onto the North Quay and down the Promenade.

There is a cycle rack outside the Green Centre near Shoprite in Chester Street with room for 2 or 3 cycles.

The cycle rack at Nobles Hospital looks like an afterthought.There is no cover and room for half a dozen bikes.

The best way to reduce the number of vehicles on the Islands roads is, I believe an MOT style test.

This would also include an emmissions test in addition to a roadworthiness check, and would at a stroke take hundreds perhaps thousands of vehicles off the road as they would be uneconomical to repair!

The test would also generate revenue for the maintenance of the Islands roads and could be carried out every 2 or 3 years to start with, as it would be a while before the structure to carry it out was in place.

There are c.2500 new cars registered every year on the Island, many part exchange cars are sold off the Island also but are countered by an influx of used cars brought in also.

Agree, you can only tax people out of their cars if you encourage an alternative, and cycling and public transport are both areas which are piss poor on the island.

Sounds like they're just using the railway line? That's a good start like, but people live in places other than pully.

TAX TAX TAX AND A BIT MORE TAX !!!!!!

That is all they are doing, i have never heard so much sh*t in my life we live on a island in the middle of the sea that is constantly battered by wind so how is it the exhuast gasses are building up to cause a problem ?

Do as you are told sheep !

I seriously doubt there are 64k vehicles actually on the island. I'm Billy No Mates, but I know of at least two people who have just registered vehicles here, then taken them back to the UK to use. With Manx plates, and a Manx driving licence, they think, rightly or wrongly, that the UK police won't be arsed with the paperwork for minor misdemeanours, and that no one will bother with the extra aggravation to collect parking fines. And to be honest, they are probably right.

80k population, including coffin dodgers and children, 64k vehicles? They couldn't possibly be all on our roads at the same time.

How many are sitting in car showrooms or hire cars etc

What is needed is a proper road network that can handle it.

The thing is if you do have say 3 cars you can only drive one at a time ?

TAX TAX TAX AND A BIT MORE TAX !!!!!!

That is all they are doing, i have never heard so much sh*t in my life we live on a island in the middle of the sea that is constantly battered by wind so how is it the exhuast gasses are building up to cause a problem ?

Do as you are told sheep !

Surely the sheep are the people who get in their cars to drive 5 mins down the road like everyone else? The people who break the mould are the ones who get out of their cars eh?

As for air quality, I wasn't aware you were an expert in atmospheric dispersion modelling. Tell me, when your emissions from your car exhaust are carried away by the wind, do you think they eventually just dissapear all on their own or float up into the sky for ever?

Archived