[BBC News] No speed accidents at blackspot

Newsbot

Yes but it hasn't been tried and tested in winter yet though has it.

It was called a 'blackspot' but in 15 years of driving over the mountain road every Monday - Friday and many weekends too I can only recall seeing two accidents there - both single car incidents. One was a Citroen ZX heading northbound and the other Civic type R heading southbound. The former probably lost control because these cars handle like double decker buses (I speak from experience) and the latter speaks for itself. Or maybe they were purely victims of the big shiny metal manhole cover right on the old bend.

The new corner has a water drainage problem after heavy rain just as you enter the corner heading towards Douglas. Add this to a heavy frost one morning and it'll become a high speed ice rink for cars, bikes and worse lorries.

Maybe not this winter but I'm sure it will happen. We'll see I suppose.

It says there has been no accidents at brandish or hillberry caused by speed since the corner was changed yet my mate was following a car a few weeks ago that took the corner too fast at hillberry and crashed.

This crash was even reported in the paper with pictures of the car with it's wheel hanging off.

Well if you are a careful driver i am sure you would find the corner no problem.

The problem is the idiots who think they are in a race, and if they are the ones who crash then great might teach em a lesson.

Its like saying you have made the road faster that means i have to go faster ?

And the way things are going with these 4x4 lifestyle vehicles if one hits you look out.

you still happy with your 4x4 ?

Maybe the ideal place for a speed camera then, to specifically slow people down for the bend!

Well if you are a careful driver i am sure you would find the corner no problem.

The problem is the idiots who think they are in a race, and if they are the ones who crash then great might teach em a lesson.

Its like saying you have made the road faster that means i have to go faster ?

And the way things are going with these 4x4 lifestyle vehicles if one hits you look out.

Ah..channel 5's old piece. Most 4x4's that roll through Douglas and surroundings are newer, more "lifestyle" models and virtually all of them have hugely improved safety features and crash compatability (i.e. when they hit something smaller).

Archived