Passports Will Be Needed To Travel To Ireland

Cronky

If its part of the UK 2009 e border nonsense, then I would assume it will apply to anyone going there even from here. Even if the IOM didn't run with it, across and Ireland can still conceivably apply it to manxies going there?

I would have thought it was obvious...they will no doubt edit the Anti-Terrorism, Crime and Security Act(s) etc. to enforce it. Considering people travel between Ireland and the island, and then can travel on to the UK mainland, we will no doubt soon require a passport to enter/leave the UK - and it will be without doubt brought in on the island 'for our convenience' and 'compatibility' - as usual without proper consideration or data protection reassurances.

Biometric identity cards/passports are well on the way, and before your summer holidays, you'll soon have to drag granny down to the cop shop to get her DNA, fingerprints or iris scanned even for a day trip to Liverpool (if you can get one on the SR). Since 'even during the second World War and the IRA terrorist campaign, travel has been possible without any identity document between the two states' and the IOM, makes this move all the more outrageous IMO, as once again, there is little reassurance as to who has access to the data, what they will do with it, including other jurisdictions that have nothing to do with us and over which we have no democratic control.

Believe it or not, the UK government already has major plans to sell data which it records about your house/occupants etc. (Council tax derived) to mortgage and insurance companies - add to that the fact that Experion and others sell your life's financial history to anyone for a couple of quid - and soon our lives will be fully monitored by both the state and the big businesses that carry out the work on their behalf, as well as anyone in a government server room. Before long, everyone travelling to and from the island could be on the FSA 'watchlist', linked no doubt to the Inland Revenue 'watchlist' - and assumed guilty before innocent - 'just in case'.

I'm all in favour of fighting crime, but not to the extent that it affects the freedom of all citizens where everyone is supposed to be assumed innocent before guilty, and supposed to have the right to free unhindered movement. They should leave internal travel within the EU, and the existing travel zone (including the island) well alone. We really need to stop and think where this is all going to lead, and the who, what, why, where, when and how of all of this needs to be debated, instead of idly sitting back and letting it all happen.

Since 'even during the second World War and the IRA terrorist campaign, travel has been possible without any identity document between the two states' and the IOM, makes this move all the more outrageous IMO

Agreed and also the fact that the recent 'outrages' in the UK were all home grown shows that it IMO, it will be unlikely to have anything other than a limited effect on Terrorism.

They'll be happy when we're all bar coded, chipped and pinned...............

Yes, what's the problem?

The authorities have all this information already, why are you getting worked up about another method of getting it?

A very useful tool for society in that it can target resources where they are needed and not waste endless reams of paper on people who aren't interested in a product, because they will know if you have ever used said product or like products. If could potentially save acres of woodland from needless destruction and render things like passports unnecessary.

I welcome this particular initiative into my life and will cop-operate all the way to the firing squad.

Don't you need a passport to go to the UK anyway? They won't let me on the plane without it.

No just photo ID. Driving licence will do

I know someone who travelled to Dublin this year, and only needed photo ID to get on the flight, and to show at the security control at Dublin airport. He used his manx driving licence.

Apparently is has been a grey area for a long time whether a passport is needed, with different stories from different sources.

However if you have a passport it may be worth using that as your ID anyway as you know it will definitely be accepted.

You need a passport to travel to any other European country, so why should Ireland be any different?

Because Ireland (and IOM) is part of the Common Travel area which has existed for about 100 years. Why does the UK keep making it harder for people to travel? The rest of the EU is happy to open up their borders, remove border checks but the UK seems to want to make travelling even more frustrating.

Archived