Isle Of Woman?

Moghrey Mie

Maybe they should be demanding a proper service and not going along with the Isle of Woman nonsense.

And maybe you should be on the phone to your MHK demanding a proper service rather than posting on a forum where you have achieved (fuck all/∞) i.e. significantly less than fuck all.

Maybe they should be demanding a proper service and not going along with the Isle of Woman nonsense.

And maybe you should be on the phone to your MHK demanding a proper service rather than posting on a forum where you have achieved (fuck all/?) i.e. significantly less than fuck all.

I have actually and I've also written to Eddie Teare. It needs more people to ask for a proper service for the women of the island.

There's no need for the crude and rude language in a very serious debate.

There is lots of rattling of tins, talk about 'victims of cancer' and support during treatment but still no automatic recall breast screening system on the island to detect early signs.

There is also no screening whatsoever of men whether on the Island or in the UK for Testicular, Prostate or Breast cancer, in this world of so called equality is this an acceptable situation?

I don't want to sound as though I am trivialising the comments of 'Moghrey' as I believe that this is a serious debate, but I would like to see the focus change to include men as women have at least an opportunity to have possible problems detected early in the life of the disease.

There is lots of rattling of tins, talk about 'victims of cancer' and support during treatment but still no automatic recall breast screening system on the island to detect early signs.

There is also no screening whatsoever of men whether on the Island or in the UK for Testicular, Prostate or Breast cancer, in this world of so called equality is this an acceptable situation?

I don't want to sound as though I am trivialising the comments of 'Moghrey' as I believe that this is a serious debate, but I would like to see the focus change to include men as women have at least an opportunity to have possible problems detected early in the life of the disease.

Agreed. A health service is not about buildings but about the quality of services such as screening that are provided for people on the island. We are way behind many other countries.

Prevention is much better than cure.

There is also a debate to be had about the provision of contraception advice on the island. Is it freely available outside Douglas?

I have actually and I've also written to Eddie Teare. It needs more people to ask for a proper service for the women of the island.

There's no need for the crude and rude language in a very serious debate.

In that case I apologise unreservedly. In my defence I'm an idiot !

Why not screen at the same time as they do the cervical smear ? There is a call/recall system for that.

Why not screen at the same time as they do the cervical smear ? There is a call/recall system for that.

Because there's only so much prodding and discomfort you are willing to subject yourself to at one time?

I think self examination, for women and men, should be promoted. I don't see that there would be any real need for screening if you're checking regularly for lumps yourself. Have you seen what they do for a mam...wotsit? Squish your boobs between 2 plates of glass whilst your stood in an awkward, half naked position in an attempt to get as much of your tender flesh into the squishing machine. Not nice, not comfortable. It's possibly less dignified than a smear, but largely unnecessary in comparison (IMO) if you're checking yourself.

Because there's only so much prodding and discomfort you are willing to subject yourself to at one time?

I think self examination, for women and men, should be promoted. I don't see that there would be any real need for screening if you're checking regularly for lumps yourself. Have you seen what they do for a mam...wotsit? Squish your boobs between 2 plates of glass whilst your stood in an awkward, half naked position in an attempt to get as much of your tender flesh into the squishing machine. Not nice, not comfortable. It's possibly less dignified than a smear, but largely unnecessary in comparison (IMO) if you're checking yourself.

By the time you get to the lump stage it's already fairly well ingrained. My mother's cancer was found by a mammogram, it would never have been found by looking for lumps.

The DHSS have committed to this, but I understand the issue is a legal complication. They have arranged for the back-end administration to be done by a UK NHS screening service for the midlands and administered in Coventry. They say that this means the IOM doesn't have to invest in all the database stuff necessary to run the scheme.

BUT - the problem at the moment is that there is an issue as to whether they can sub-contract the work from the Isle of Man. So there's a legal wrangle going on to find out who actually owns the NHS in the UK. Is it the Crown or is it the Government? Whichever it is will have implications for the funding and the legality of doing this work for the IOM.

As soon as that's sorted they say the service can go ahead.

That's kind of it.

Clicky

The DHSS have committed to this, but I understand the issue is a legal complication. They have arranged for the back-end administration to be done by a UK NHS screening service for the midlands and administered in Coventry. They say that this means the IOM doesn't have to invest in all the database stuff necessary to run the scheme.

BUT - the problem at the moment is that there is an issue as to whether they can sub-contract the work from the Isle of Man. So there's a legal wrangle going on to find out who actually owns the NHS in the UK. Is it the Crown or is it the Government? Whichever it is will have implications for the funding and the legality of doing this work for the IOM.

As soon as that's sorted they say the service can go ahead.

That's kind of it.

Clicky

So the promise of a wonderful system in the future justifies having no recall system for almost a year.

By the time you get to the lump stage it's already fairly well ingrained. My mother's cancer was found by a mammogram, it would never have been found by looking for lumps.

Indeed, breasts are pretty lumpy anyway so an unusual lump would have to be there for quite a while for it to be noticed. Why don't doctors have model breasts with the same texture as natural breasts* with a suspect lump so that you can feel what it is you shoudl be looking for? Same with testicles, I would have thought.

*No matter how I express this, it will be misinterpreted. Oh darn, there I go again!

Archived