[BBC News] Death due to drugs inquest shows

Newsbot

So you don't hold with the concept of Personal Responsibility.

Acknowledging that you are solely responsible for the choices in your life.

Accepting that you are responsible for what you choose to feel or think.

Accepting that you choose the direction for your life.

Accepting that you cannot blame others for the choices you have made.

Tearing down the mask of defense or rationale for why others are responsible for who you are, what has happened to you, and what you are bound to become.

Thats why society is going to the wall because more and more cop outs are using the excuse that they are not responsible for their own actions.

I'll leave it to the MF Admins and mods to decide if a post is acceptable or not.

One can agree with all the above yet retain the humanity to sympathize with those who suffer the tragic consequences of making the wrong choices (for whatever reason)

mod edit: fixed quote

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Legalising drugs is a stupid idea. Some of the best times I've had have been whilst chasing up and down the country with druggy mates hunting down various drugs. And you get to meet some crazy and interesting people that you otherwise wouldn't come into contact with if you were blandly popping down to the corner shop to pick up a little government-sanctioned wrap of homogenised heroin. How boring would that be, lol,lol..... Keep it underground man, sure there'll be a few casualties but I think it's probably worth it.

Probably. There's good money to be had in offloading skag.

Okay then, if you had twelve lashes of the birch would you still deal in heroin?

More than likely, depends how hardcore a dealer we're talking about. I mean, if he or she is making a pretty penny out of it why not? It's not a permanent injury, and if it was instead of a custodial sentence it'd let you carry on dealing all year round, so in that sense I'd view it as the more preferable of the two options. Also, keep in mind that most people who break the law think that they stand a much better chance of getting away with it than they do being caught, which diminishes the fear held by men wielding sticks - by comparison I'd say I'd be more afraid of the prospect two years or so being taken from me due to a prison sentence.

The birch is a rubbish punishment in relation to today's crimes: thanks to the relative affluence of modern society compared with that of the past, the dealing of drugs and other contraband and even robbery are far more profitable crimes today than they were in bygone sepia tinted time, hence birching is less of a deterrant.

I know the drugs issue is something that will always be debated with strong views from either side of the fence, but remember that this lad had relatives.

No matter how he died, or how anybody dies, whether it's by riding in the TT, by a fatal road traffic accident or by a drugs overdoes, they still have family and friends who will be left devastated and reeling at the loss so spare a thought for them.

The birch is a rubbish punishment in relation to today's crimes: thanks to the relative affluence of modern society compared with that of the past,

The birch is barbaric. Making a living by getting people hooked on heroin is barbaric.

If I really had to put myself on the line I would rather the drug dealer suffered than the drug user.

You say it wouldn't deter the dealers. Well, they might conclude it's better to go straight than have it done repeatedly . . .

You say it wouldn't deter the dealers. Well, they might conclude it's better to go straight than have it done repeatedly . . .

Presuming that it's possible to do it repeatedly. If there were a 100% detection and conviction rate for drugs then yes, the birch may act as a deterrant (although I still suspect this will not be the case), just as many alternative sentences would, but we all know that isn't the case.

I know the drugs issue is something that will always be debated with strong views from either side of the fence, but remember that this lad had relatives.

thats right, some of whom posted in the original thread about the sad loss etc, but why was not enough done by these relatives when he was alive to rescue him from his bad choices??

It's the "holier than thou" brigade who really get on my tits in the drugs debate.

Obviously all the "NO SYMPATHY FROM ME!" lynch mob never drink, or smoke, or drive a fast car, or go fell-walking, or any of a million other things that carry the risk of injury or death. Be they "obviously" dangerous (like drinking or smoking or riding a bike in the TT) or more mainstream but still riskier than just staying at home and watching telly.

Had a heart attack and fell into a river whilst out fishing? Tough luck you dumb cunt, you knew the risks!

It's the edge of tangible pleasure that some people seem to take in a drugs-death that I find most unpleasant, like society has just ridded itself of a problem without having to carry out the unpleasantness of state-sanctioned killing or suchlike.

No one becomes a drug addict for the glamorous lifestyle, or because of all the great new friends it makes them, or for how it does their career prospects a world of good - because being a drug addict is a pretty fucking miserable state of affairs, and call me an old hippy, but I think as a society - (society, remember that?) - we have a duty to reach out to people when they're scraping along the bottom of the barrel of life and attempt to give them a hand back up.

Failing that, just call "no sympathy" and gloat that "another one's dead," and pray that you or no one close to you ever ends up going through the kind of terrible life-changing events that separate all of us from "normality" and the kind of existence that leaves us dead in a stairway one night - because that line is thinner than you might possibly imagine.

Archived