Isle Of Man Steam Packet

He is over the last

Good Morning All

Having had the pleasure to travel with the Steam Packet in recent weeks I feel that I must give credit where credit is due.

The shipping line has had some considerable bad press and internet sluicing in recent months and I would just like put forth my view concerning the journey I have had with said company.

Upon embarkation (On the Ben) both the lads on shore and the lads on deck were most courteous and we were greeted with smiling happy faces.

Once on board this fine vessel I found the reception staff, shop staff and restaurant staff again most courteous and abundant with information.

The food that was available was of good quality and not over priced as opposed to some greasy spoon type establishments on the Island.

Although I might add that the bar prices were a little on the upside but no more than any established hosterily on the Island (a touch around 20 to 30 pence for beer and 50 pence per small bottle of wine, so if you were to have ten small bottles you would be hit for an extra fiver, shock horror) but again the staff were top class.

We sailed in a six and a bit gale and their was hardly any motion due to the stabilisers having been put out, announcements concerning sea conditions and rate of knots and an eta were all provided by tannoy speakers from the ships captain.

I will admit that I have and do travel occasionally on the Sea Cat and although all staff as above are par excellence, I do have my doubts about that particular vessel.

So in closing I would like to the thank all at the Steam Packet and I tip my hat to a fine and worthy shipping line that all residents should be proud of.

How much I hear you all asking, less than 280 sheets and a very enjoyable sail/journey.

Choo Choo

He is over the last

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The food that was available was of good quality and not over priced

They must have dropped the prices a lot and changed the menu since I was last on it!

I understand and appreciate that you want to compliment them on a good crossing with pleasant staff etc, but the food on the Ben really is complete and utter overpriced shite

Hmm .. not a good topi to go near today. Wife came back on the Seacat last night, asked for assistance but was still left to negotiate a bunch of stairs with a baby and a buggy on her own. While she's grateful to the passengers who gave her a hand, can't imagine she's very appreciative of the staff and processes that SP have in place.

Oh, this happened the last couple of times which is why she asked for assistance this time. She was given a card and promised assistance, but when push came to shove she got stuck in exactly the same place as last time.

Hope she doesn't see this thread ...

Owen

--------------------

Tech Blog - Personal Blog - Hobby Blog - ManxFriends Profile

Got a Manx website: Submit it on SearchMann

Yes, bravo to the Steam Packet for being polite and courteous. After all, this isn't what you expect from people working in a customer service industry eh?

I really don't think being able to do your job competently is worthy of praise. That should be reserved for people who go over and above. What you're describing, is what should already be expected.

The shipping line has had some considerable bad press and internet sluicing in recent months

And rightly so...

Once on board this fine vessel

Did they get a new Ben?

The food that was available was of good quality and not over priced as opposed to some greasy spoon type establishments on the Island.

Food on the Ben has always been good as they at least have proper chefs in a proper galley. Not overpriced? You must have had a different menu or be incredibly rich then...

We sailed in a six and a bit gale and their was hardly any motion due to the stabilisers having been put out, announcements concerning sea conditions and rate of knots and an eta were all provided by tannoy speakers from the ships captain.

Hardly down to the stabilisers - the thing is a floating skyscraper and goes all over the place at the slightest gust of wind... Sounds more as if you were lucky and the wind direction was from behind, pushing it ahead instead of bouncing it towards Douglas.

With Tom Glassey's words:

"LAMENT FOR THE BEN-MY-CHREE"

I'm lying here in Douglas, once again I did not sail,

The island has no papers and Marksies bread's gone stale,

I'm a brand new ship from Holland and Ben-My-Chree's my name.

I'm the slowest ship they ever built and I've other claims to fame.

I watch my little sister, The Lady pass me by.

She's on her way to Liverpool, so why the hell can't I?

She's 25 years my senior and only half my size,

But I mustn't go out there today, for fear I might capsize.

I see the yachts out in the bay, with their sails unfurled,

My chairman's told my passengers I can sail throughout the world.

To Tokyo or to Sydney or even Santa Fe,

But Liverpool or Heysham are just too far away.

I lie here in the harbour, feeling so uneasy,

My sailing's have been cancelled because it is too breezy.

I'm storm bound here in Douglas and on my berth I lie,

It really is embarrassing as a canoe goes paddling by.

I've got another sister, she's called a SuperCat,

She takes day-trippers to Liverpool, but does not bring them back.

The Lady comes to the rescue, she always is on call,

I avoid these situations by not leaving port at all!

Now we've got a little system, it really is unique,

It protects us from the elements when the weather is too bleak,

My captain lights a candle and hangs it from my railings,

And if the wind doth blow it out he cancels all my sailings!

So in closing I would like to the thank all at the Steam Packet and I tip my hat to a fine and worthy shipping line that all residents should be proud of.

:huh:

How much I hear you all asking, less than 280 sheets and a very enjoyable sail/journey.

WOW! Under 280 quid! What an absolute bargain - must immediately get myself some of them!

But then - I could also book an overnight ferry from Hull to Rotterdam and back, with car, cabin and all meals for 245 quid...

poyu0.jpg

Last time I went by steam packet at 7.00 a.m. in the morning, girl collecting tickets had a most sullen look. Didn't say Good Morning, good trip, bye-bye or anything. Must have been the wrong time of day for her.

I have to say this is not the usual treatment though. Usually everyone is cheerful and courteous.

I have to agree the staff on the Ben are usually superb although the comments regarding prices and quality of food has to be tongue in cheek. Decent basic fare but the prices are absolutely scandalous and I’ve taken to bringing my own on board.

I’ve had a couple of run ins with the Sea Cat crew but nothing serious and on the whole they’re pretty good if not a little wet behind the ears (very nearly literally during that incident) but when you’re hiring staff from New Zealand on seasonal contracts to make up the numbers you’re hardly going to get the sort of consistency you get with the full time staff on the Ben. Coincidently any Work Permit buffs know how on earth the Steamy can get permits and visas for Kiwi staff above the requirement to hire local or failing that European? Especially when there is a wealth of Poles filling similar roles in the Hospitality industry.

Don’t get me started on the office staff though I could rant for the Island.

Archived