Isle Of Man Steam Packet

He is over the last

Coincidently any Work Permit buffs know how on earth the Steamy can get permits and visas for Kiwi staff above the requirement to hire local or failing that European?

Working on sea, not on the Island = No work permit needed

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Everything about the Steam Packet is shite! The staff, the food, the prices & the boats.

If only another company could come in and signal the end of the Steam Packet, the Island would be by far the better for it!

This isn't the Steam Packet - the IOM Steam Packet finished many years ago when they sold all the shares to SeaContainers. The IOM Steam Packet use to provide a good service, where you could just rock up and buy a ticket and get on the boat. Where you could go to Liverpool on a day-trip throughout the year and had boats with a silver service restaurant and special areas just for ladies! What you've got now is a floating bank account - by the way, if you email Mr Woodward on his blog - you get a reply from a lady!!

:o

I am currently on the island visiting a friend. Two of us came over on the Seacat on Saturday 12.15pm sailing from Heysham.

Was probably one of the few times that my trip didn't befall some sort of disaster when using the Steam Packet. The Seacat was about 20minutes late in, but they did unload, then load us fairly quickly.

The crossing was pretty rough, on what seemed to be a listing Seacat. We were asked if we would carry out a customer survey on a palmtop computer which one of the customer services guys brought round. He was fairly pleasant and cheery as were any staff we dealt with on our trip.

The survey related more to the staff onboard the ship, smartness, courtesy etc and what we thought of the food, and the prices. I answered it honestly given that we had just paid the best part of £9 for 2 packets of sandwiches and 2 colas! (But I suppose the choice is there not to buy stuff from them, and bring our own. But wasn't that organised.)

I'm surprised the survey didn't have any questions about the main problems of the Steam Packet. Communication when there are problems or delays which can affect the journey, and also the structure of the fares.

It was fairly unusual to have a Seacat from Heysham, when the Ben was sailing 2 hours later. I asked the survey guy about this. He explained the reason was because of half term holidays it was apparent about a month ago that the Ben was overbooked, and that is why they put the extra sailing on.

Are the Steam Packet starting to think about their customers? I thought so until I heard on the radio here about their winter timetable!

P.S. I have still to get home yet, we'll see if my journey back is as uneventful ;)

Everything about the Steam Packet is shite! The staff, the food, the prices & the boats.

If only another company could come in and signal the end of the Steam Packet, the Island would be by far the better for it!

This isn't the Steam Packet - the IOM Steam Packet finished many years ago when they sold all the shares to SeaContainers. The IOM Steam Packet use to provide a good service, where you could just rock up and buy a ticket and get on the boat. Where you could go to Liverpool on a day-trip throughout the year and had boats with a silver service restaurant and special areas just for ladies! What you've got now is a floating bank account - by the way, if you email Mr Woodward on his blog - you get a reply from a lady!!

Teapotyou are just plain wrong

Until Manx Line in 1978 there were no day returns from mid October to mid March, to Liverpool or anywhere else, no Sunday Service either

Boats left here 09.00 and from Liverpool 11.00 and crossed in the middle, you couldn't come back the same day for 5 months of the year

Since 1979 we have had two sailings a day to Heysham, Manx Line, Fisher, Sealink, Seacontainers, and Steam Packet. Plus sailings to Liverpool and elsewhere

The service is still better in winter than it ever used to be, wherever it goes to.

I suggest this guy goes to spec savers and get his glasses swapped he must have been given a pair of rosy coloured ones by mistake :cool:

Either that or he is a shareholder ? :angry:

I've always had great service on the seacat.

Well except the time when they wouldn't let me buy 2 sausage and bacon baps as they weren't on the menu. I had to buy a sausage bap and a bacon bap instead.

I made sure they didn't see me swap a sausage and a piece of bacon round. I'm pretty sure I would have had to walk the plank had they spotted me

Well except the time when they wouldn't let me buy 2 sausage and bacon baps as they weren't on the menu. I had to buy a sausage bap and a bacon bap instead.

I made sure they didn't see me swap a sausage and a piece of bacon round. I'm pretty sure I would have had to walk the plank had they spotted me

Rebel....

Rebel....

With a sausage!

Evening People

The point of the thread was the "Steam Packet", the forum gives one an option to head the thread, which was and still is "CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE". Now maybe most of you detest the shipping line and maybe one or two have had a pleasurable experience with them?

I have been in recent times delighted with the service that I willingly paid for mostly on the Ben but a few Sea Cat trips also.

I don't want to go to Rotterdam (I am happily married). Their ships are far larger and from experience roll like Ronaldo.

The comparison was with food available on the ship as opposed to greasy spoons on the Island.

The comparison was made with alcohol as per some established pubs/wine bars whatever one would like to call them on the Island.

For 280 sheets it was good value.

The winter timetable may have upset a few footy fans, I often go over for a match. Birkenhead to Liverpool is hardly a journey, have an overnight in hostel, bring the family and travel back the next day (if you are shopping) or if one wants to avoid the drunken yobs on the old timetable, fly to Liverpool, if not drop your sky package and stay a follower and not a supporter.

The service industry applies to anyone who deals with a customer or client (as some would have us say - client that is - back to Rotterdam !!!).

If you have something to sell or work for a company that has something to sell you are in a service industry so everyone should be walking around with great big happy smiles on their faces.

I have yet to meet the perfect person, have you?

I have had a right good laugh at most of the comments it has been a ball and long may it continue.

It was my personal experience and to close as above "CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE", simple really.

Choo Choo

He is over the last

I am currently on the island visiting a friend. Two of us came over on the Seacat on Saturday 12.15pm sailing from Heysham.

Was probably one of the few times that my trip didn't befall some sort of disaster when using the Steam Packet. The Seacat was about 20minutes late in, but they did unload, then load us fairly quickly.

The crossing was pretty rough, on what seemed to be a listing Seacat. We were asked if we would carry out a customer survey on a palmtop computer which one of the customer services guys brought round. He was fairly pleasant and cheery as were any staff we dealt with on our trip.

P.S. I have still to get home yet, we'll see if my journey back is as uneventful ;)

Well made it back home! The Ben left on time last night, and guess what. Was asked to do another customer satisfaction survey! It's amazing how much easier it is to work a palmtop computer on a calm sea... :wacko:

Teapotyou are just plain wrong

Until Manx Line in 1978 there were no day returns from mid October to mid March, to Liverpool or anywhere else, no Sunday Service either

Boats left here 09.00 and from Liverpool 11.00 and crossed in the middle, you couldn't come back the same day for 5 months of the year

Since 1979 we have had two sailings a day to Heysham, Manx Line, Fisher, Sealink, Seacontainers, and Steam Packet. Plus sailings to Liverpool and elsewhere

The service is still better in winter than it ever used to be, wherever it goes to.

Oh OK then so perhaps it was a bad case of - "it use to be all green field around here when I was young"............but I was right about the ladies lounge, wouldn't expect you to know about that!!!!!!!!! ;)

Archived