You Will Have Kerb-side Re-cycling

spock

Well i have to say i am all for the reuse of rubbish.

But what i want to know is why we are paying twice for our rubbish ?

We pay for it to be tipped at the energy from waste plant but the electricity that is produced there is sold back to us through the MEA at a bigger cost, from what i am aware SITA only make very little from the power produced and the MEA bump up the price.

Why is it we don't get a cheaper electricity bill ?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have lately taken to leaving packaging at the checkout, not everything, just some of the more annoying ones

Particularly those thick plastic blister packs which are ten times bigger than the object inside

...and the reaction was?

I've done it at Marks n Spencer in the past, they don't mind, but just remind me I can't return stuff if I've taken the packaging off. Which is fair enough.

I have lately taken to leaving packaging at the checkout, not everything, just some of the more annoying ones

Particularly those thick plastic blister packs which are ten times bigger than the object inside

...and the reaction was?

I've done it at Marks n Spencer in the past, they don't mind, but just remind me I can't return stuff if I've taken the packaging off. Which is fair enough.

In Europe all big companies like M and S are obliged to collect their waste for recycling and they get packaging credits for doing it. So they probably welcome your contribution.The same applies to Tesco.

It's all part of the 'polluter pays principle' of producer responsibility. Producers of cars and electrical goods are supposed to take them back for recycling as well.

See EC Directive on Packaging and Waste

Producer Responsibility Obligations (Packaging Waste) Regulations 2007

on www.defra.gov.uk website.

24 major retailers and suppliers have signed up to the Courtauld Commitment to reduce waste and re-design their packaging etc. Marks and Spencer is one of those.

IOM government could introduce a voluntary agreement for companies over here making people who bring waste in responsible for collecting it after use. But they choose not to.

Archived