Mlc Rebukes Senior Civil Servant

Albert Tatlock

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly why should those who live in a particular street have an unfair advantage over everyone else? Should be two hours (or whatever) for everyone.

If people want guaranteed parking they should purchase a house with garage/drive. If they don't want to or cannot afford one the they should take their (parking) chances like everyone else.

I don't mean to sound harsh but the whole system seems grossly unfair.

I don't understand where you're coming from with this. I have no problems with disc zones - that's a level playing field. However bestowing an advantage on one particular class (ie those owning/renting a property in a given street) over another (who happen to live elsewhere) offends my sensibilities. (And those of most right-thinking people I would suspect)

As stated before nobody owns the bit of public road outside their house. I might need/like to park outside your house for more than the prescribed time allowance - two hours or whatever, for example if I needed to go to my nearby GP's surgery.

Because I don't have one of these permit thingies I can't but you can.

Fundamentally and unequivically (sp) unfair.

no one has the right to park on the Queen's highway - however some powers of control have been derogated to local councils who within towns etc introduce parking schemes to minimize any nuisance given that many towns have both houses built well before near universal car ownership and unsuitable street patterns (Peel must be the classic Island instance) but where I also live in S E England many town centres have similar problems (likewise many European cities) - the parking permit scheme allows residents to avoid some of the restrictions, which I grant you is 'unfair' to visitors who must compete for a smaller number of places (it was a proposed change to this balance that provoked outcry in Peel) - however as the number of potential visitors is usually much greater than the number of local residents the latter would be swamped with no possible place to park - a similar argument on a macro scale is used to justify Manx work-permits but no-one seriously suggests that the native Manx should lose out and be jobless whereas you appear to argue that those living in towns where garages cannot be retropectively added should be carless.

On the subject of parking permits I've never been able to understand why they are issued. If one buys a house one does not "buy" a piece of the road outside that house. Surely everyone has as much right to park on public roads ( legally) as anyone else.

I don't think the argument is whether a homeowner "owns" the right to park in front of their house or not.

Take our situation for example. I live in a house in Douglas that has double-yellow lines parked in front of it. Fine, I can live with that, I park in the streets surrounding the house. However, if I were not allocated a parking permit, I would need to move my car every 2 hours between the hours of 9 and 5. Would be a major inconvenience, especially as I would have to walk home from work and back every two hours just to move the car.

Are you suggesting I shouldn't get a permit?

(or is it really disc zones in residential areas that you're objecting to?)

--------------------

Tech Blog - Personal Blog - Hobby Blog - ManxFriends Profile

Got a Manx website: Submit it on SearchMann

Frances, thanks for your sensible post. You agree that the system is unfair to visitors. My stance is that residents and visitors alike both have the same basic human rights and one group should not have an unfair advantage over the other when it comes to public roads (which both groups contribute to the building and maintenance of).

So whilst I sympathize with Owen, no neither he or anyone else (with the exception of the disabled) should get a permit.

I don't object to disc zones (time limits) in residential area as they can be a useful traffic management tool.

Archived