[BBC News] DoT 'satisfied' with ferry times

Newsbot

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn....rumbled.

Although, that's the second time you've said that IIRC. If you are that obsessed by my posts, you will know that I have called foul on some of their failings.

And, reading my post again, where do I ....'rush to their defence'...?

I too wouldn't contact the OFT because of the Steam Packet's policies on pricing and schedules. I wouldn't think to contact the OFT unless I was being ripped off (Yes, I know how that sounds) in the sense that I pay and not get what I pay for. Like book a journey and get turned away without a refund.

I bet the first person who calls the OFT gets the following response:

"Well they're not doing anything wrong so we can't do anything"

And then, of course, we will be besiged by the many 'not for profit' shipping lines which are just waiting for the opportunity to come to the rescue of our little Island.

It might be just as unrealistic, but I think the calls for it to be 'not for profit' are calls for it to be Govt run (to promote the island as a viable holiday destination as well as a better service for residents), rather than a company doing the island a favour out of the goodness of it's heart.

It's a shame that these changes seem to be acceptable. I know one bloke who says he'll be moving off the island asap as he can't visit his family in England as often any more. Maybe he'll change his mind when he gets used to it, and apathy will win the day.

And then, of course, we will be besiged by the many 'not for profit' shipping lines which are just waiting for the opportunity to come to the rescue of our little Island.

It might be just as unrealistic, but I think the calls for it to be 'not for profit' are calls for it to be Govt run (to promote the island as a viable holiday destination as well as a better service for residents), rather than a company doing the island a favour out of the goodness of it's heart.

It's a shame that these changes seem to be acceptable. I know one bloke who says he'll be moving off the island asap as he can't visit his family in England as often any more. Maybe he'll change his mind when he gets used to it, and apathy will win the day.

Sorry, the SP may have its critics but proposing it is run by Govt is crazy. The forum is full of posts on various topics usually saying that Govt couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery anyway. I'd love competition here but last time it came, we enjoyed cheap fares for a bit then one of the operators went bust (ManxLine). What does that prove? And this was when we had a half decent tourist industry.

I find it hard to believe that someone is leaving their career and life behind on the IOM as the SP won't do a day trip to Liverpool, or have I missed something?!!

Yeah, I'm coming around to the idea that manx govt would make a mess of it, but in an ideal world etc.

It's not the day trip to Liverpool that he'll miss. It's the extra 2 hour drive it adds to his already long journey somewhere else that he regularly makes. Long story. Though in fairness, I think this is the straw that broke the camel's back. But the point is, it's a massive inconvenience that disrupts how people want to live their lives. Especially when flights to and from the island appear to particularly unreliable at the moment.

Mr S

The 'not for profit' was tongue in cheek, aimed at those who think there are saviours around the corner waiting to pounce and save us.

The point you make about flights is a good one. This was possibly a chance for the Packet to step up to the plate and make sea travel even more appealing in the light of a particularly shoddy service by air at the moment.

I think they have missed the boat - no pun intended.

If people think the service is not good enough (in terms of frequency, craft type etc), it is the user agreement at fault. That is the tool which gives the company exclusivity (well nearly) and the one which determines what is an acceptable level of service.

the 'for profit' depends on what level of profit is being made - look at the price paid for the racket which owns one boat (replacement cost <25M ?),one fast craft it couldn't sell and a lease on another it is rumoured it doesn't want - land assets minimal (and already sold off) - all this for 200M - something stinks here and the bad smell is from the monopoly granted to it by the user agrement. The Shetlands own the boat but have it run for a by profit company - the Gov already own the key linkspan - we know a new boat costs around £30M as this is the agreed cost - a minor cost compared with what it has thrown and wasted at the Airport + ancillary companies

The government should simply build another linkspan.

Perhaps even the threat to build one would work if the SP thought the government was serious. All that's needed is a capable and forceful government to take them on. Oh bugger, I just remembered who the government is.

Perhaps even the threat to build one would work if the SP thought the government was serious

Exactly. The user agreement means the Racket has us by the balls. Even the threat of another linkspan would change the parties' respective bargaining positions.

Archived