Steam Packet - Oft Petition

Amadeus

Based on this

[bBC News]DoT 'satisfied' with ferry times

Mr Crookall said there had been no consumer complaints to the OFT on the matter.

here's this:

To: Office of Fair Trading

We, the undersigned, make hereby known our strong disapproval and disappointment about the changes to the Steam Packet Company's winter time table and service in general. The changes to this year's winter schedule, which make day trips to Liverpool impossible, are causing great inconvenience for us and we are disappointed about the performance of the "Island's Lifeline" in recent times. We are not satisfied with the time table changes and the Steam Packet Company's performance in general and are calling on the Office of Fair Trading and the Government of the Isle of Man to ensure that improved service and reliability, as well as better value for money is achieved in future. Travel to and from the Island is not a luxury but a necessity for all of us.

Sincerely,

The Undersigned

Sign it here...

Yes, I know - it's likely to bring bugger all, but at least it's something to vent your anger and leave some comments. No idea how long to run it - let's say 'til the end of the month, 30/11 ? Once closed, I'll print it all off and drop it off at the OFT, so they can say they had some complaints - hopefully loads, so get signing and tell the world...

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, a very good idea, if you're going to leave it up for a month, whilst we can wait and see if it stays on the first page, (hopefully it should,) but if not, perhaps it could be pinned and perhaps highlighted?

Hmm..only been online for one day and already 100 entries - makes you wonder....

I think it says more about: the fact that people think it's a waste of time to complain to the Steam Packet; and; that people are unaware of the potential role of the Office of Fair Trading (perhaps even to the extent they have a certain distrust of government).

Perhaps instead of being so eager to issue a statement saying there had been 'no complaints', the OFT should have issued a statement to the effect 'if you do have any complaints, contact us in the first instance - as we are the people prepared to deal with them'. Apologies to the OFT if they did - but I didn't see anything. Similarly, just because no one complains, doesn't mean something is right - many people feel that they have no control over so many situations that eventually apathy does get to rule.

Most people don't tend to spend their week reading the detail of the Courier or Examiner, nor listening to Manx Radio - or on MF. In short, the bulk of people will only become aware of the changes when they try to book a trip.

What gets me is that surely one of the prime requisites for an offshore financial centre is good transport links. Given the rackets performance and the lurch from one problem to the next record of the airport, surely that's not happening. Does the government not regard the provision of reliable and customer driven transport facilities as a priority?

Do they understand the real world?

Sadly trying to do something about the ever decreasing standard of transport links to our fair island is like trying to chop down a redwood with a teaspoon. The most depressing thing about the "Racket" is that their vessels (oh, hang on - there's only one now) have Isle of Man written large on the side, when in fact they care as much about the island as I do about what kind of champagne it's directors drink.

And take a bow, our parish council. I mean "government", for letting themselves be taken up the beam end by IOMSPCo. (And D******a. And the finance sector..) Let's see what happens when, not if the Ben breaks down and we can't get supplies over. :angry:

Archived