Steam Packet - Oft Petition

Amadeus

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your figures are flawed as you are assuming no body from across has signed it and that nobody has twice. Plenty of posters on this forum appear to be based in the UK, I have four different e-mail addresses available to me so could "sign" four times with different registrations if I wished. I have not

I am not saying the percentgae may not be significant though.

On a more serious note:

1237 represents around 1.6% of the population. However, the population consists of all types so you need to discount people under 16 (realistically 18), and some of the very old who haven't used the SP for years. A better approximation would be to consider the 30,000 households on the island - and a look at the petition arguably shows few family members signing it individually - in fact they are pretty much cancelled out by those signing one entry as a couple etc.

So my view would be that the petition is actually closer to 1200/30000 = around 4% of households. Considering the petition is only available online, and only around 50% of the population is online - this infers to me that perhaps another 4% of the population would be likely to readily sign it, making the real total so far closer to 8%. The only way to prove this would be to do door to door signature collecting. Add to that, the arguable fact, that many of those people who are not online are likely to be lower paid (that's using Internet user demographics) and thus more likely to have to use the boat when travelling, and I suspect many more signatures are likely to be available in that part of the population.

If nothing starts to happen over this petition, I for one would be happy to join people collecting signatures door to door - until someone in government realises that something has to be done. People shouldn't underestimate the strong feelings over this. A government consultation would be a good start.

Well, that's me being told about the user agreement. Commercial confidentiality indeed prevented disclosure in the past but was successfully challenged in Tynwald earlier this year and the new agreement is available from Tynwald Library now, which is good news I think. Apologies for saying otherwise and I shall try and have a look at it purely out of interest.

Slightly off topic, wait until late Feb/early March when the Ben goes in for servicing, we'll have the seacat back for Liverpool, and the Emeraude France, (the Sea Express sister ship) covering Haysham, with a freighter carrying the freight. Of course the weathers ok at that time of the year so there won't be any problems with cancelled sailings. Will there?

Emeraude France went back to her owner after TT, and was gointg to be transformed into a private yacht, so no chance of her coming back. No, the "service" will be operated by Sea Express 1 (which may by then have been renamed Seacat Isle of Man - is this like Windscale being renamed after its accident?!).

There is unlikely to be any need for more than one fast craft and a chartered freighter.

From 3fm news - "the company says its (sic) only responding to customer demands."

Funny, I've never noticed any petition signed by over 1200 people asking to change the two and a half hour per leg day return to the centre of Liverpool to be replaced with a four hour single journey to Birkenhead with no possibility of returning on the same day.

In a statement, the firm's managing director Mark Woodward said: "This petition bears no relation to the actual number of day trippers who have used this service in recent years.

"Many signing the online petition were not booked to go to Liverpool."

FFS What sort of an answer is that? I hadn't booked but was thinking of doing so as I was thinking of going. They got someone checking names against a list?

An MR cock-up "The creator of an online petition to the Steam Packet Company..."

...the petition isn't to the Steam Packet - it's to the government/OFT. Has the news team actually thought to read it?

It's ok - will go to the SP as well.

Your figures are flawed

Surveys like this are inherently flawed. Should the total Island population be the one that is measure against for example? My 98 year old gran isn't ever going to book on the Steam Packet again and my three year old son wont be for some time.

What would have been more revealing than a simple petition against, is a two question poll asking if you supported the timetable or not. That at least would give you a proportional figure of both sides of the argument. As it stands, by omission you could claim that over 98% of the population support the timetable because they have not expressed a feeling against it. Sort of.

However, as an indicator, it should be taken seriously.

Archived