Steam Packet - Oft Petition

Amadeus

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Triskelion has clearly never been to Birkenhead, or walked between 12 Quays and Birkenhead Hamilton Square (on a dry day, never mind a wet day).

It is NOT nearby!!! It takes up to half an hour to walk it, by someone who is reasonably fit - and yes, I have done it, so speak from experience. There are no buses in the area to help out, either.

MQ

Wonder who employs Triskelion??

I think the government should at least threaten to build a new linkspan that would be made available to other operators. I'd be prepared to pay a few more quid on my tax bill to nail these fackers. The fact is that the user agreement is meant to synthesize competition. It clearly isn't doing it's job, so let's see what the threat of the real thing does

Triskelion has clearly never been to Birkenhead, or walked between 12 Quays and Birkenhead Hamilton Square (on a dry day, never mind a wet day).

It is NOT nearby!!! It takes up to half an hour to walk it, by someone who is reasonably fit - and yes, I have done it, so speak from experience. There are no buses in the area to help out, either.

MQ

Wonder who employs Triskelion??

Funny, I thought the same thing as well ....

Triskelion is really Laura Howland and I claim my ten pounds.

Indeed, who is Laura Howland?

Its a bit sad that some people must resort to ad hominem attacks on me rather than, say, constructing an argument. C'est la internet, I guess.

Laura Howland, communications manager of the IOMSPC

But you probably knew that, right? ;)

Not that it should matter, but I do not work for the Steam Packet.

What a coincidence that you should choose to join the forum just as the Racket is at last getting the criticism it so richly deserves.

Well stone the crows, knock me down with a feather :D

Mr Woodward's blog has gone rather quiet hasn't it?

It is very to disagree with the kind of things that are being said, as they are often irrational, unreasonable or selfish. I have absolutely no problem with people criticising the Steam Packet so long it is fair and actually backed up by evidence. The debate is not advanced by far-from-insightful comments such as these (taken from the petition):

Why not do promotional offers on Day/Shopping trips to Liverpool. The Steam Packet is showing a tremendous lack of initiative! If its not profitable, make it profitable!! (e.g. Easyjet)

First bit would only be used on Saturdays. Comparison with Easyjet is absurd.

i feel this is dispicable. the government needs to step in and take control. we are held over a barrell. no steam packet equals ridiculous prices with unreliable airline companies. not only will the average person lose out, but also promising young athletes/sports men and women that need to travel to the liverpool areas on a saturday morning. maybe we should halt the spending on the velodrome and the government should buy a ferry, and run it themselves. think of the money they could make for the island. after a year of running their "own" ferry, they could put plans in place for a velodrome, football stadium, whatever they want/feel is needed. reading the comments on the IOM Online page about a tunnell / bridge to the uk from the IOM seemed stupid not so long ago. now they seem the one feesable option !

Seems to think nationalisation would work based on imaginary numbers and the idea it would make the Island super-rich.

utter stupidity to stop the sailings

Why?

I was looking at boat times to go away for Christmas shopping and when I came to book it, the times had changed - for the same day! It is rediculous as we were planning on staying over and there would have been no point. We have been forced to fly and spend a lot more on just travel. Please keep the travel times to those in summer.

Seems to think it is as easy (and as worthwhile) to run a ferry service in winter as it is in summer. A reduced winter service is perfectly normal for travel operators.

Triskelion, for someone who says they don't work for the Racket you seem to spend an inordinate amount of time supporting them and rubbishing the arguments against. Those of us who are attacking the Racket are doing it purely because we want a better service for ourselves and the Island, what is your motivation?

By the way, congratulations on your choice of user name when you signed up all that time ago on the 16th of November 2007, you couldn't have chosen anything more Manx. You obviously forgot that one of the main signs of Manxness is an abiding hatred of the Racket and the way they hold the Island to ransom with the collusion of Tynwald.

Triskelion, for someone who says they don't work for the Racket you seem to spend an inordinate amount of time supporting them and rubbishing the arguments against. Those of us who are attacking the Racket are doing it purely because we want a better service for ourselves and the Island, what is your motivation?

Just what I was thinking.

Archived