Steam Packet - Oft Petition

Amadeus

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I looked at it now and it is at over 350 signatures. Maybe if all those who are complaining had actually used the boat last year for day trips then maybe they might still be going. I think the Steam Packet gave a figure of something like only 220 Saturday day returns last Nov & December although I suppose that may be artificially low due to cancelations.

I am not a rfrequent user of the boat in summer or winter and I have to admit I might have prefered a later return boats. But if you gave me the choice now of last years offering and this years I much prefer this years provided it leads to less cancellations as it is the pits transferring up to Heysham and hanging about for ages because the evening Liverpol boat has been cancelled.

It seems that is also what the users of the service stated last year so maybe if we had all used it our voice on passenger surveys might have been listened to. It would interest me of those that have signed the petition how many are resident in the IoM and how many not. It would also interest me how many actually use the service.

Finally I am not an employyee of the steam packet nor are any of my relatives, but I think the steam packet I think is the wrong target. They like all businesses are in business to make a profit. If there was the demand to make it more profitable for them to run a service that allows day trips to Liverpool they surely would do. Presumably therefore it is not.

We can argue that they have a public duty but I think that is wishful thinking. Ultimately the only way to have a service that means you can do a day return to Liverpool is to make it profitable for them. That means greater demand which does not appear to be there. Higher fares which we would all argue about or the government via our taxes subsidising such a service, in which case the airlines would be up in arms. Ideally a second boat to Liverpool is what is required but it has to be profitable to run or be subsidised.

250+ signatures, in less than two days, on an island this size, is statistically vey highly significant already. This petition surely cannot be ignored.

I virtually never use the boat so I didn't sign. Wonder if all the signatories use it as much as me?

I'd use it more if the service was was more regular, I enjoyed two trips on the boat with the car to Ireland, would love to go across around Christmas time to see family in Ireland but it would involve either flights or getting the boat to England and another boat across. Why can't they do at least once a week journeys to Ireland. Daniel does not compute.

None of the trips I've made this year were day trips - typically out friday back sunday or out saturday back sunday. In one instance it was out friday and back on saturday. With the seacat I could be in liverpool by 10.30 and where I needed to be by 11.20. Now I won't even be off the boat by that time.

If the arrival time in Liverpool was still 10.30 (regardless of the time it set off) and the departure time of 7pm then I'd be on the boat next weekend and probably back the same day, and then again 24th nov, first weekend in december & second weekend in december.

As it is now I'm away in two weeks and flying over the second weekend in december and thats it.

Up to 385 now :blink:

Tbh, most comments appear very genuine, with Football and University mentioned a few times. Obviously still doesn't mean that everyone who signed is travelling on the boats all the time, but it's certainly a surprising number... A lot of the feedback also mentions the service in general and not only the winter changes.

I think the fact that a commercial enterprise which has been bought for a lot of money has to make a return on the investment and serve as a vital service for the Island was always bound to cause problems. The investors want cash, passengers want good service and reasonably cheap crossings. Seems a bit like a no-win situation, somehow....

Why no petition to the Premier League for consistent, convenient kick-off times for Manx supporters?

Or to major high street chains in the UK? Us poor Manxies have to get off the rock for some for some decent shops.

I'm going to have to consider flying in future.

Football is obviously mentioned a few times but when you look at the fixtures in the four month period Liverpool and Everton only have 4 Saturday 3.00pm kick offs anf Man United 1. Tranmere have 6.

With kick offs now being so variable it is not really enough to build a timetable around

Up to 385 now :blink:

Tbh, most comments appear very genuine, with Football and University mentioned a few times. Obviously still doesn't mean that everyone who signed is travelling on the boats all the time, but it's certainly a surprising number... A lot of the feedback also mentions the service in general and not only the winter changes.

I think the fact that a commercial enterprise which has been bought for a lot of money has to make a return on the investment and serve as a vital service for the Island was always bound to cause problems. The investors want cash, passengers want good service and reasonably cheap crossings. Seems a bit like a no-win situation, somehow....

I'm not that frequent a user of the SPC, but when I have used them I have found the service adequate enough, if a little pricey(the low island taxes more than compensate for that). I won't therefore be signing .

Of course no one should be forced to sign any petition they don't agree with.

Although I would have thought all islanders should stick together on this one regardless of whether you are a frequent passenger or not.

If they are allowed to cut winter services like this, and not get any protests what's to stop them cutting services the rest of the year?

Surely eventually this affects goods supplies to the island? And if they are pricey, the cost is passed onto the consumer at the shops.

Archived