Steam Packet - Oft Petition

Amadeus

From Manx Radio

Brew reveals 'excellent' figures

20/11/2007 07:14:50

Sea traffic through Douglas has increased, for the tenth consecutive month.

So far this year the total figure is up nearly 20% for vehicles and just over 12% for foot passengers.

In October the increase was just over 8% for passengers and just under 9% for vehicles.

Steam Packet figures show a drop on the Belfast route and also to Heysham.

However, there has been a significant rise to the Island's traditional port of entry to the United Kingdom, Liverpool.

Director of Harbours Captain Mike Brew (pictured) describes the overall figures as 'excellent'.

Interesting use of words from DoT !

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't know whether anyone else has noticed, but the Packet have just published a 2008 timetable on the web. Needs a microscope to view it, but it goes up to January 2009.

From November, the times are the same as at present - looks like they are planning on another winter with only one ship, and no day trips.

Of course "timetables are subject to change"........

MQ

Don't know whether anyone else has noticed, but the Packet have just published a 2008 timetable on the web. Needs a microscope to view it, but it goes up to January 2009.

From November, the times are the same as at present - looks like they are planning on another winter with only one ship, and no day trips.

Of course "timetables are subject to change"........

MQ

battleship.jpg

From above mentioned "word with Woodward"

It is interesting to note that had we maintained the fast ferry service which is one of the subjects of the ManxForums online petition, we would already have lost 3 out of the 4 scheduled day trips to poor weather. I believe that vindicates our decision and has allowed many of our customers to book with certainty without facing disruption to their travel plans.

Again he's missing the point. No one is saying that we want a fast craft to Liverpool - we want a service to Liverpool. Most "old hands" told the IOMSP that the fast craft was no good for the Irish Sea in winter but it was the IOMSP who assured the Manx public that it would be OK when they asset stripped the "Lady of Man"!!!

Most "old hands" told the IOMSP that the fast craft was no good for the Irish Sea in winter

And they never listened to the voice of reason - look at this old news clip from 1994 - point proven? This is the same seacat that is currently being patched up, by the way.

:D

MQ

Most "old hands" told the IOMSP that the fast craft was no good for the Irish Sea in winter

And they never listened to the voice of reason - look at this old news clip from 1994 - point proven? This is the same seacat that is currently being patched up, by the way.

MQ

I'm pretty sure after another more severe accident in 1995, the Seacat was withdrawn and replaced in 1996 by the Lady, very much saving the Lady's bacon, much to public outcry quite similar to today, though lacking the diversity of the internet..... Full circle perhaps?????

Get yourself a copy of John Shepherd's "Lady of Mann : Last of the Line". £2.95 from Ferry Publications and most book shops. Details the history of the Lady and many of the occasions when she was meant to be sold but came back to save the day - interesting read.

I'm pretty sure after another more severe accident in 1995, the Seacat was withdrawn and replaced in 1996 by the Lady

Yes, she was badly damaged at her front end in the Mersey Channel outward bound from Liverpool to Douglas, which was put down at the time to a "rogue wave" (like the one that took out Ellan Vannin?).

You can never rule out recurrences of this sort of thing - you need to rely on being on board a vessel that can withstand it.

MQ

If a service to Liverpool is apparently what is wanted for the winter, why is it that so few people use the Liverpool-Douglas route. By that I mean that my sister travelled over on the boat back and forth from university and said that the boat with virtually empty. She said there was only about 15 people travelling over from Liverpool.

I can understand why there is not a service to Liverpool if so people would use it. Maybe I have missed something in the thread (I haven't read every post) but is this a reaction to the prices of Euromanx plane tickets because I have heard they were up?

MQ

That's a great clip, I have never seen that although I do remember the occasion. By pure chance we were on the King Orry's real last sailing from Heysham. That was always a popular ship but guzzled fuel I am told.

As for the 15 passengers on Liverpool sailings I can believe that but the when I have sailed to Liverpool they have alway been packed and one time the only way I could get a seat was to the extra £10 to sit upstairs. I am sure there is a latent demand for the Liverpool service, just needs the sp to provide the right service and incentives to get more bums on seats. Ask yourself why there are only 15 people on it, I think you will find the answer is not "because we prefer heysham" . I have chosen Heyshem even though I hate the place, even when there was a seacat going from Liverpool, even though it is easier for me to get to Liverpool because I know the Ben will leave on time, get me in on time, it's a more comfortable crossing with better food and better lounges. I have had a terrible year with the Seacats this year, Seacats have just let me down too many times, now I won't use them at all.

If a service to Liverpool is apparently what is wanted for the winter, why is it that so few people use the Liverpool-Douglas route. By that I mean that my sister travelled over on the boat back and forth from university and said that the boat with virtually empty. She said there was only about 15 people travelling over from Liverpool.

I can understand why there is not a service to Liverpool if so people would use it. Maybe I have missed something in the thread (I haven't read every post) but is this a reaction to the prices of Euromanx plane tickets because I have heard they were up?

In the week, the route for ferry foot-passengers has generally been (for very many years) between Heysham and Douglas. Over these years, foot passengers have eventually been so put off by the travel arrangements required to arrange a trip between Heysham and Douglas (including the general cocking about between these ports and the required additional trains/taxis/waiting times) - that they have become so desensitized they don't consider the trip between Heysham and Douglas as realistic anymore!!! Some people now fly, some wait for a Liverpool trip. But overall Heysham is all about general freight - and not foot passengers at all.

Due to work committments I've done this trip (Heysham - Douglas _Heysham) numerous times over the past few years (leaving my car/van parked in Heysham at extortionate rates many times). Every trip for me as a foot passenger has always been like some sort of computer game challenge to get to Heysham if you don't bring your car. Foot passengers at Heysham are few and far between because of all these barriers. Heysham is effectively a shit-hole freight-port in the middle of nowhere. In my own experience, foot passengers at Heysham, including me, are scum. Turn up with a truck or a car if you can find it - and you are welcome - turn up on foot (if you can) and it's an ordeal. Turn up as a foot passenger at Heysham - and I for one will respect you.

And no, MR Steam Packet, I haven't signed the petition yet - but rest assured I will ensure with all my efforts and heart that this petition goes forward. You have cocked up my life and work on numerous occasions over the last few years: plus your harbour staff have lied to me (suddenly can't access or calculate saver discounts!!!) and you have ripped me off big-style on numerous occasions (especially when the beer pumps suddenly don't work and you charge £6 for a pint of beer - 2 bottles) never mind a fortune for a fry-up. The only thing I would ever defend is your onboard staff, who despite your policies, and all my trips, contiue to defy your attempted approach - so god bless em.

As for the 15 passengers on Liverpool sailings I can believe that but the when I have sailed to Liverpool they have alway been packed and one time the only way I could get a seat was to the extra £10 to sit upstairs. I am sure there is a latent demand for the Liverpool service, just needs the sp to provide the right service and incentives to get more bums on seats. Ask yourself why there are only 15 people on it, I think you will find the answer is not "because we prefer heysham" . I have chosen Heyshem even though I hate the place, even when there was a seacat going from Liverpool, even though it is easier for me to get to Liverpool because I know the Ben will leave on time, get me in on time, it's a more comfortable crossing with better food and better lounges. I have had a terrible year with the Seacats this year, Seacats have just let me down too many times, now I won't use them at all.

I only ask because I was under the impression that Liverpool was impractical for taking on cargo so that is why Heysham is used. To make more trips to Liverpool would be financially prohibitive.

I can only think that the reason why there were only 15 people was because, simply, few people wanted to travel. Which is why I was curious about the level of demand for the winter Liverpool service.

But what are the main problems with the service other than the frequency of trips? I have never had a problem myself, maybe because I don't travel to and from the Island that much. I have always thought there was good customer service and the tickets are not that expensive.

For the 8:45 IoM/Heysham + 14:15 Heysham/IoM sailings the train is convenient with good connections to/from Lancaster - I use this for a return service about every month during the winter; if you are over 60 with railcard (or have a student railcard) then the combined boat/train package is good value for a single traveller as compared to flying or taking a car. The night crossings require an expensive taxi journey, not too bad if you can share but very expensive for one.

I gave up booking the much more convenient Liverpool crosssings as their reliability was useless.

Archived