Steam Packet - Oft Petition

Amadeus

I can not see the public accepting a new "slow" all year round boat to Liverpool in place of the fast craft.

The sensible option would be for the Packet to acquire a fast all weather conventional boat - at 25 knots or thereabouts, Douglas to Liverpool would be a 3 hour journey - not significantly less than the old tin cans, and it would not be weather sensitive (other than in severe gale plus conditions, when even Ben gets cancelled). Looking at some of the craft of this type that are in use, it would be a lot more comfortable than the seacats, too, with better facilities on board, and with a proper galley could produce proper food!!

This vessel would not be just a winter ship, but would be capable of taking in all ports, and it would develop the market well, particularly if it took coaches from all ports (and they bring in good money).

At the moment, there are a couple of tin cans in hibernation. That cannot be cost effective (apart from the vast fuel and crew savings).

MQ

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They chartered Emerarde France Sea Cat and the Caledonia something - both passenger carrying vessels.

I think the problem with TT traffic was the loss of Sea Expess

Yes but they were not the type of boats that could run a winter service to Liverpool

The Stena Caledonia is a good all weather vessel, and very well appointed. She could run to Liverpool, but she would not be as fast as people might like, though she is faster than the Ben.

http://www.ferry-site.dk/ferry.php?id=7910917〈=en

MQ

Obviously I haven't done a full survey but with the right will I'm sure the IOMSP could make a good business running the "Ben" with almost all freight and another conventional ferry split between Liverpool and Ireland runs.

For 2/3 rds of the year (March to November) there is a market already for a service to Liverpool, so a new craft would be well used and could cover existing Irish routes.

In the Winter the schedules could be trimmed but with a reliable, reasonably quick service (3hrs to Liverpool would be fine) I think they could grow a nice business. There is money for travel both in IOM and in Liverpool Hinterland - it needs a good price and marketing.

Going back to MQ's point on flying I agree that if APT was dropped flying could be as cheap (or cheaper) as sailing.

However IOM govt can only remove the tax on the outward journey, they can't remove the tax charged from UK

From Energy FM news

Steam Packet unable to give evidence to Select Committee

The Steam Packet has been unable to give evidence to a Tynwald Select Committee because of a legal challenge to the user agreement.

A Petition of Doleance has been filed against the Department of Transport by Seaside Shipping Limited and the Steam Packet is party to the proceedings.

The user agreement allows the company almost sole use of the linkspan in Douglas Harbour.

Yesterday, Deemster Kerruish adjourned the case until next April.

An advocate for the company gave a statement at a public meeting this morning.

He said at this early stage any evidence given could be in contempt of court.

The situation should be clearer by January when the Steam Packet may be in a position to speak to the Select Committee which is looking at the fare structure and the level of service offered to travellers.

It was added the company is looking forward to being able to cooperate.

Evidence was taken from passenger watchdog group Travelwatch Isle of Man.

Last Updated:23/11/2007 16:13:48

A competitive challenge comes along and it results in a delay till April.....

If you've wished for competition......be careful what you wish for !

Having a second operator on the crossing is bad news for the travelling public. Any compeitor coming in will simply want to cream off the freight trade.

Even the current user agreement only requires the steam packet to provide one return trip PER WEEK via Liverpool.

And, to be fair, whilst the scheduling is problematic, they have been exceeding the commitment in the user agreement for many years.

So the number of passengers who travelled was more in 2003, what caused the decline?

My wife's father fell ill this week and she rushed across. She flew to Blackpool (single) for £45

He's recovering now, but she wasn't really sure when she'd be able to return. She came back today, on the Ben, via Heysham... £31!

YES that's £31 for a SINGLE on the ferry.

Tomorrow, I would have been going to watch the football but I can't because of the timings (unusual I know, I need to do a day trip to/from Heysham).

So, my not going will be added 'evidence' that people on the Isle don't want day trips.

The real issue is very simple. The Steam Packet are trying to sell us a product that we don't want and over pricing it. Then, when we don't want to pay £62 return for the product we don't want, they use the figures as justification for not supplying us with the service that we do want.

Incidentally, last year I wanted to go to football but wasn't sure that I wouldn't need to work on the Sunday, so it was a last minute decision. I went down to the Sea Terminal on the Saturday morning and was told "we can't sell day trips on the morning of travel anymore"! It was the first game of the season and I was there already, so I reluctantly paid £60 for a day return to Heysham. I wrote a letter of complaint and was told this was 'a mistake'. Did they refund the difference, or even offer a credit for their mistake? Of course not, I'd been stupid enough to pay it, they didn't give a toss. I have many hundreds of sailings with the Steam Packet. I have NEVER felt like a 'valued customer'. I have always felt like it's a case of 'like it or lump it'.

PS I don't like the attitude of the company but I will say that in all those trips, I have always found the actual crew to be excellent, friendly & courteous. While 'having a go' at the Steam Packet and their management, I wouldn't want to tar the crew with the same brush (see how I introduced a nautical term there? :rolleyes: )

Obviously I haven't done a full survey but with the right will I'm sure the IOMSP could make a good business running the "Ben" with almost all freight and another conventional ferry split between Liverpool and Ireland runs.

For 2/3 rds of the year (March to November) there is a market already for a service to Liverpool, so a new craft would be well used and could cover existing Irish routes.

In the Winter the schedules could be trimmed but with a reliable, reasonably quick service (3hrs to Liverpool would be fine) I think they could grow a nice business. There is money for travel both in IOM and in Liverpool Hinterland - it needs a good price and marketing.

Going back to MQ's point on flying I agree that if APT was dropped flying could be as cheap (or cheaper) as sailing.

However IOM govt can only remove the tax on the outward journey, they can't remove the tax charged from UK

That's exactly what needs to be considered, could the SPC or A.N.Other make a passenger service profitable? The Ben is a freight boat that carries passengers. It's less comfortable than The King Orry was but it gets the freight here and it can carry a fair number of people. But it's priority has always been freight. I think the reason some people don't use the fast craft is indeed, the risk of being stranded. A vessel that sailed reliably to Liverpool, Dublin & Belfast, carrying cars & foot passengers would be used I'm sure, especially if it wasn't over priced. At the moment, it is often cheaper to fly to Liverpool and then hire a car for a couple of days than it is to take a car from the Island. If I do that (and I have) the ferry still sails but with one less car & passenger on board. I really do believe though, that in the Steam Packet eyes, the profit is in the freight, passengers are a bit extra on the side. Unless they change that attitude, they will fail to maximise their potential customer base.

In a service that carries both cargo (freight is the charge made not the things carried) and passengers, cargo will always win as it needs no servicing while on board and is the carrier's liability is less so cheaper to insure. Perhaps a split is a good idea. Cargo, most often is not time-sensitive (within a day or two) but passengers definitely are.

Tomorrow, I would have been going to watch the football but I can't because of the timings (unusual I know, I need to do a day trip to/from Heysham).

So, my not going will be added 'evidence' that people on the Isle don't want day trips.

No, everyone accepts that people want weekend day trips. The problem is that hardly anyone used the weekday winter Liverpool service, thus making it difficult to justify the expense of maintaining a craft that only saw substantial use at the weekend.

The only successful boats, now, are freight or cargo and passenger.

If you divide you end up with two boats, double crews and double wages, oils bills and landing charges and a loss.

By combining with roll on roll off you have a chance. Freight is every day and regular, its what makes the boats pay, passengers on our routes, at present, summer seacat sailings apart, are a bonus, they cost little to service as there have to be radio men, lifeboatmen and catering staff for the rest of the crew and freight drivers, they cover for passengers as well on the whole

Under the agreement the Steam Packet has to build (or spend a large sum) on another boat within 3 or 4 years, we will inevitavbly get another Ben, maybe quicker, but with oil prices I doubt it. Its the only model which works

As freight requirements increase, we could see a real service with boats each way every 6 hours all year round to Heysham and Liverpool

Say ex IOM

08.00 Heysham

14.00 Liverpool

20.00 Heysham

02.00 Liverpool

ex UK

08.00 Liverpool

14.00 Heysham

20.00 Liverpool

02.00 Heysham

The Steam Packet would need a bus service between Heysham and Liverpool and day returns could be out one day back by 02.00 departure next day and open jaw

Footballers and shoppers could go on the 02.00 departure from IOM and come back 20.00 or 02.00 and get a full day away.

We would need more cabins for more night time sailings

In Summer they could charter a fast craft for sailings to Ireland, Scotland, Cumbria and Wales.

Once a week in winter they could do a Belfast and/or Dublin return, or even all year round for freight and a few passengers.

It needs stability of craft, timetable and facilities.

Up until now Liverpool has not been viable for freight using the pier head, the re installed floating road way onto the landing stage may change that, if not then Birkenhead.

I am concerned about Heysham becoming silted, hence low tide schedule changes, no plans to dredge, Fleetwood may be an option, to cut down journey times for drivers, the dual carriageway is just closer to the boat but if you were on foot, it would be even more of a disaster than Heysham.

John, What a sensible post, the one day this year that the steam packet ran a crossing to whitehaven/douglas. One of my brothers rang to book ( no internet bookings) the day after the trip details appeared on the SP website and they had sold out. He asked when they planned the next whitehaven trips and after consulting her boss, she said that no further trips were planned for this year. Of course, no more did take place. Supply and demand! The SP seem to have no idea.

I remember as a kid, (in the 80's), going on holiday to the IOM. We left from Ardrossan in Scotland for an 8 hour sailing on a conventional ship. Loved it as a kid, not sure if I would quite have loved it as an adult! Especially as the combined road journey from Scotland to Heysham - then sea from Heysham to Douglas beats it by 2 hours! (Doesn't help it rained all week :( )

Also regarding cargo charges. A company I worked for previously had to get an urgent job from Glasgow - IOM in a 7.5ton van. Then they had to get from IOM-Glasgow same day. They caught the 2.15pm sailing from Heysham, delivered, and made it back to the ferry for the 7.45pm sailing back to the UK. Cost? £2100!

Now I know getting to and from an island is going to be expensive. But deduct £500 from that cost, and I could have hired an artic from Scotland to Barcelona!

I hope Tesco and the supermarkets have a discounted rate to the island, otherwise the residents are paying more for their groceries than they should.

I hope Tesco and the supermarkets have a discounted rate to the island, otherwise the residents are paying more for their groceries than they should.

I don't think they do, certainly inflated prices are paid for the food compared to the UK, another aspect of a monopoly. Of course, we could try competition as suggested and see what happens in the long run.................................

Archived