Steam Packet - Oft Petition

Amadeus

I have written to the Transport Minister, David Anderson , twice and I received quite detailed replies.

However the general tone is that he is a supporter of the IOMSP and is following a "laisser faire" attitude to the whole affair.

Key to his arguements is:

• The IOMSP don't have a monoply - the link span isn't the only way for freight and other users could apply to build their own linkspan in Douglas (!) Passengers can fly
  • The IOMSP are keeping to User Agreement (I think he sees his job as "done" provided the minimum is maintained)
  • The IOMSP are looking to buy a more suitable vessel but the "threat" of Easyjet put them off last time and the Seashore Shipping case this time (looks to me like any excuse will do)
  • He maintains that if enough people complain to the IOMSP they will re-examine the service the offer

As mentioned here earlier he is too close to the IOMSP/User Agreement to want to rock the boat and disrupt the status quo

Those may be fair points, but what is it specifically you want him to do. I am not sure he has the powers to force the SP to buy another boat or amend their timetables

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[*]The IOMSP don't have a monoply - the link span isn't the only way for freight and other users could apply to build their own linkspan in Douglas (!)

Hmm, I wonder ... from Manx Radio:

It’s understood the Sefton Group has bought Ramsey shipping company Mezeron Limited.

It is the latest in a number of recent acquisitions and developments by the Group, whose executive chairman is Island businessman Graham Ferguson Lacey.

The group has already completed the acquisition of the Gala Hilton, the Palace Cinema and the Castle Mona Hotel in Douglas.

Mezeron will continue to trade as Mezeron after the Sefton Group officially takes over on January 1, 2008.

It’s understood the Sefton Group has bought Ramsey shipping company Mezeron Limited.

It is the latest in a number of recent acquisitions and developments by the Group, whose executive chairman is Island businessman Graham Ferguson Lacey.

Wonder if Mezeron will start a passenger service to bring hotel and golf course guests to the Island, and offer day trips to Liverpool?

:rolleyes:

The Transport Minister is like any government representative and does not seem to like the "Status Quo" being questioned, at least some Members still represent The People!

He answered Mr Karren's questions sufficiently: Yes the department is aware of the petitions (adding that it is also aware of other internet groups involved in the debate)

Did anyone else hear him "quote" from a poll on the Irish Sea Yahoo Group - that 88% of people were satisfied with the service to Liverpool. He did not appear to have researched this - the question was not about the service itself, but what ship was to be used on it!

POLL QUESTION: Do you approve of the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company's

decision to operate the Ben-My-Chree to Birkenhead during

the autumn/winter months? The Ben-My-Chree providing a slower

but reliable service, SuperSeaCat Two a faster - but very

weather dependent service.

CHOICES AND RESULTS

- Ben-My-Chree , 31 votes, 88.57%

- SuperSeaCat Two , 4 votes, 11.43%

And there were only 35 votes, out of a group membership of well over 700!! Says a lot, doesn't it!!

I have written to the Transport Minister, David Anderson , twice and I received quite detailed replies.

However the general tone is that he is a supporter of the IOMSP and is following a "laisser faire" attitude to the whole affair.

Key to his arguements is:

• The IOMSP don't have a monoply - the link span isn't the only way for freight and other users could apply to build their own linkspan in Douglas (!) Passengers can fly
  • The IOMSP are keeping to User Agreement (I think he sees his job as "done" provided the minimum is maintained)
  • The IOMSP are looking to buy a more suitable vessel but the "threat" of Easyjet put them off last time and the Seashore Shipping case this time (looks to me like any excuse will do)
  • He maintains that if enough people complain to the IOMSP they will re-examine the service the offer

As mentioned here earlier he is too close to the IOMSP/User Agreement to want to rock the boat and disrupt the status quo

I'd never considered the idea that another company could build its own linkspan. It is a good point though. In fairness to Mr Anderson, in his role as Transport Minister, his job is done if the SP keep to the User Agreement. Clearly opinions vary on what his position should be in terms of his job as an MHK.

I'm not sure what he means by 'the threat of Easyjet' - is that exactly what he said? I'm sure he cannot mean Easyjet running flights from the Isle of Man; Ronaldsway is far too small to make their business model viable here. Therefore I must assume he means that the growth of low-cost air carriers to tourist destinations meant that people would be more inclined to fly to Liverpool and then onward, rather than taking trips to Liverpool. There is some logic there, but... It is hard for me to say based on these bullet points (useful though they are). As for the case with Seashore Shipping, I can't find any information about what exactly it is about so it is impossible to comment on that.

The fact that 'he maintains that if enough people complain to the IOMSP they will re-examine the service they offer' suggests that, rather than not wanting 'to rock the boat,' there is very little he can do as either Minister for Transport or as an MHK and so is directing people to take the only course of action with a chance of actually working. Though I still cannot see them re-instating the Liverpool winter service any time soon, they might be able to redress some people's smaller grievances.

Hi Triskelion,

Yes, Easyjet (the organge one) had talks with IOM Airport a few years ago. It all fell through on cost of landing fees.

Seashore Shipping is in court now. Its basically a challenge to the User agreement.

Interesting to see that the 88% quoted by the Minister is only 31 votes - talk about twisting the facts.

31 for / 2225 against - I make that 1.3% - hardly resounding support, even when the question was about reliabilty, which I think we all know is an issue.

Wonder if Mezeron will start a passenger service to bring hotel and golf course guests to the Island, and offer day trips to Liverpool?

:rolleyes:

With interest many of us will follow the legal challenge made by Seashore Shipping (Mezeron) - The Sefton Group continue to invest and sustain development in the Island and tourism and I'm certain it's executive chairman Island businessman Graham Ferguson Lacey wants what is best for the IOM and the company, that deserves support.

J

With interest many of us will follow the legal challenge made by Seashore Shipping (Mezeron) - The Sefton Group continue to invest and sustain development in the Island and tourism and I'm certain it's executive chairman Island businessman Graham Ferguson Lacey wants what is best for the IOM and the company, that deserves support.

It's actually Seaside Shipping, the man behind it is local businessman and ocean racing yachtsman Peter Whipp. Whether it has anything to do with GFL's takeover of Mezeron is pure speculation.

Hi Triskelion,

Interesting to see that the 88% quoted by the Minister is only 31 votes - talk about twisting the facts.

31 for / 2225 against - I make that 1.3% - hardly resounding support, even when the question was about reliabilty, which I think we all know is an issue.

"V" I see you have answered Triskelion but ignored my question which is simply what do you want the Transport Minister to actually do. Moaning & complaing that he is too close is fine but what is it you believe he should do that he is not doing.

As for the polls, when yes you can twist them whichever way you want, as you have done. I have no doubt there may have been a large % against the SP whatever but since the Manx Forum petition which was heavily promoted and probably did not require you to register did not allow you to register in favour of the SP it is always going to give you a heavy vote against the SP as you could not note register any other option.

The Minister is there to represent the "people" not just business.

He should be open and honest. If the IOMSP have real figures to back their decisions, not just "we asked the travelling public" then he should get them and publish them. If there is nothing to hide then why not?

If the "public" want a different service to what is being offered, as OUR Minister for Transport he should be happy to investigate the demand, and look at ways to faciliate what the "people" want: not just accept the take it or leave it service offered by the Steam Packet.

Perhaps the first step would be to set up a Govt backed questionaire asking the Manx public what they want and expect from their sea services.

The on-line petition isn't the best tool for voicing public opinion but I think it does show that there is a lot of concern by the "people" in relation to the services offered by the IOMSP. He seems to be quite happy to "pooh pooh" these concerns in favour of the status quo; probably hoping that the grumbling masses will just go away over Christmas

The Minister is there to represent the "people" not just business.

He should be open and honest. If the IOMSP have real figures to back their decisions, not just "we asked the travelling public" then he should get them and publish them. If there is nothing to hide then why not?

If the "public" want a different service to what is being offered, as OUR Minister for Transport he should be happy to investigate the demand, and look at ways to faciliate what the "people" want: not just accept the take it or leave it service offered by the Steam Packet.

Perhaps the first step would be to set up a Govt backed questionaire asking the Manx public what they want and expect from their sea services.

The on-line petition isn't the best tool for voicing public opinion but I think it does show that there is a lot of concern by the "people" in relation to the services offered by the IOMSP. He seems to be quite happy to "pooh pooh" these concerns in favour of the status quo; probably hoping that the grumbling masses will just go away over Christmas

Fine he does all the things you say, he gets a questionnaire out, he investigates demand etc etc but what exactly does it achieve apart from been seeing as doing something. What then? He can have as many facts and figures at his finger tips that you want, he can know inside out what the "public" want but what does that actually achieve?

The public would appear to want a better service in terms of customer care and ttrips to Liverpool. I do no think that is news to the DOT or their Minister. What you appear to be requsteding I would see as only window dressing as it is I believe fairlty apparent what the public would like. What is not apparent is how you achieve that or what the Minister can do to meet those expectations except either throw money at the SP to provide or subsidise a competitor

Maybe that is what the public want but in all the complaints etc I have not seen many suggest or much of a groundswell of public support for Govt money to sort. Many appear to be of the expectation that either the public or the minister making a noise will be enough to make the SP to change track.I do not believe that is the case so I am looking for some concrete ideas of how the changes can come about even if it is only that the Govt should spend £X million to sort

Archived