Steam Packet - Oft Petition

Amadeus

But, as they're obviously reading this :D , why not give Manx residents a deal on using the Steam Packet at TT and MGP, getting off island, rather than getting hit for the same extortionate fees as are charged to tourists coming over for the events? Unluckily for me, my parent's ruby wedding anniversary next year is on the 8th June, so would mean getting on the boat on the day after Senior Race Day with my car or bike - expensive enough for me to opt for flying into Bristol as a cheaper alternative! Give a deal to Manx residents, and I might've used the IOMSPCo instead.

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Under no circumstances should the Racket be rewarded for shafting us with a big government subsidy. I would prefer them to subsidise the AIRLINES, so that the Racket is PUNISHED, not rewarded.

The Racket is already subsidised - by virtue of its government-granted monopoly

I like the resonse in the news, "most people who sign that would not be using the day trip service anyway"..... yep, i am flying now!

Another cracker was having someone explain to me that i could still go away on a daytrip, you can go in the morning and then there is a coach at 21:00 from Liverpool that takes you up to Heysham for the 02:15 sailing.

Great news! now what is normally an exhausting day will become an endurance event, imagine bringing the kids for a daytrip!!

I am gladly paying more to fly and i know the rest of my family and friends are doing the same because the Steam Packet are just not interested in what the customer wants anymore.

What the Steam Packet have not addressed in their statement is the fact that it is the change in services as a whole that has upset a lot of people - not just the scrapping of day excursion opportunities.

In the last few years, they have been providing services both to Liverpool and to Heysham at weekends, and the fast craft (when running) was giving people heading south the chance of getting closer to their destination a lot sooner. This was in addition to the day trip opportunities, which the seacat's unrelaibility killed off.

In the December 2004 Tynwald debate about the User Agreement, we were told that a new fast craft would be purchased "soon" to replace both the Lady of Mann and the Seacat. The Lady was sold without any sign of a replacement, and we were left with an elderly fast craft that could not cope without back-up availability. This seacat is currently being patched up, apparently for several more years' use. Where is the promised replacement? The Superseacat is not it - this, too is elderly, and it won't take much in the way of weather. They were lucky to be able to charter Emeraude France in the spring (the Seacat's sister) but had the Lady not been sold without being replaced, those charter charges would not have been necessary.

The User Agreement requires a basic minimum of services, and the Steam Packet is providing at least that minimum - we cannot argue against that.

What the public have been getting used to, however, is a much better level of service over the winter months (subject to the weather). To withdraw the extra service now, and call it an improvement, is an insult.

Yes, it would appear that the Steam Packet statement regarding the petition only covers that highlighted by the Manx Radio coverage i.e. emphasis on the winter timetable. IMO the Steam Packet are not wrong to say what they have stated, and the first thing I would have done in their position was try and match up the numbers to the reality of the booking system, and counter a story generated by the local media. That's what they have done. They are not a charity in the business of running empty boats, they are a business.

Remember though, the petition is actually aimed at the Government and the OFT - and not the Steam Packet. The petition is not just about the winter timetable and covers many other points not yet mentioned in any statement i.e. those points highlighted below:

"We, the undersigned, make hereby known our strong disapproval and disappointment about the changes to the Steam Packet Company's winter time table and service in general. The changes to this year's winter schedule, which make day trips to Liverpool impossible, are causing great inconvenience for us and we are disappointed about the performance of the "Island's Lifeline" in recent times. We are not satisfied with the time table changes and the Steam Packet Company's performance in general and are calling on the Office of Fair Trading and the Government of the Isle of Man to ensure that improved service and reliability, as well as better value for money is achieved in future. Travel to and from the Island is not a luxury but a necessity for all of us."

IMO, it is how the Government and OFT intend to proceed after the petition is submitted that is the real issue here. With over 1200 signatures already, signatories are likely to be expecting more than a simple government/OFT statement. Over 1200 people haven't signed for nothing - something is broken or perceived to be broken - and those people expect someone from government/OFT to address the issues in detail, including the issues around the winter timetable. This debate is far wider than a few additional ferry crossings, which is why IMO, in reality it will likely require some monies (and/or assertiveness) from government, and flexibility at the SR, to help put things right.

I'm just amazed by the number of people that have signed it, tbh - 1200+ wasn't what I expected from one little post and a free online petition that took 5 minutes to set up...

Agree with Albert, though - no matter what the SP's press release said, something is broken or perceived to be broken, otherwise this kind of response wouldn't happen.

I'm just amazed by the number of people that have signed it, tbh - 1200+ wasn't what I expected from one little post and a free online petition that took 5 minutes to set up...

That doesn't change the fact that 1200+ have already signed it in a few days...and the petitions' simplicity is not a remit for the government/OFT to simply let it pass them by.

When you eventually submit the petition, I would also consider forwarding the petition at the same time to MHKs/MLCs etc. so that they are made fully aware of it. This issue needs at least a couple of politicial champions, otherwise it risks getting swept under the carpet - though surely no MHK in his right mind can ignore 1200 signatories ;)

They also have to consider that this was an online petition, and that only 50% of households on the island are online. Moreover, considering there has not been much about this on Energy/MR, and people have not been asked to sign at the door, or in pubs etc. - if I happened to be an MHK then I wouldn't understimate the statistical significance of so many signatures at this stage. Taken to the doorstep etc. I think you might be very surprised at just how many signatories this would get, and just how many people are fuming that they can't get to sign it in it's present form.

That doesn't change the fact that 1200+ have already signed it in a few days...and the petitions' simplicity is not a remit for the government/OFT to simply let it pass them by.

When you eventually submit the petition, I would also consider forwarding the petition at the same time to MHKs/MLCs etc. so that they are made fully aware of it. This issue needs at least a couple of politicial champions, otherwise it risks getting swept under the carpet - though surely no MHK in his right mind can ignore 1200 signatories ;)

They also have to consider that this was an online petition, and that only 50% of households on the island are online. Moreover, considering there has not been much about this on Energy/MR, and people have not been asked to sign at the door, or in pubs etc. - if I happened to be an MHK then I wouldn't understimate the statistical significance of so many signatures at this stage. Taken to the doorstep etc. I think you might be very surprised at just how many signatories this would get, and just how many people are fuming that they can't get to sign it in it's present form.

Although I haven't signed I agree with this. It's rather an impressive campaign considering the infancy of it.

The Steam Packet Company questions an online petition against changes to its winter schedule.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/7081825.stm

This is not simply about winter time-tabling; which represents only a small element of the petition; the petition is about far deeper underlying issues that need to be addressed on our behalf by the government/OFT. Considering that this is an online petition, whose only publicity has been achieved via MF and a couple of radio items, the media are now, in effect, distorting what the petition actually represents.

By focussing on one issue (timetabling), the media have generated a specific response from the Steam Packet and created a story - which is only one aspect, and which is allowing the Steam Packet to infer that the whole petition should be dismissed.

I think it might be an interesting idea for the facilitator of the petition to release a press statement in response - and seek to set the record straight.

I was under the impression that timetabling was what the petition was about. Not just the media then!

We, the undersigned, make hereby known our strong disapproval and disappointment about the changes to the Steam Packet Company's winter time table

I understand about the 'service in general' bit but this was first.

Edited because I re-read the petition to check what it said!

Just to add my views:

This year I have spent a considerable amount of money to sail with the steam packet and without hesitation I will say that each occasion has been a pain in the ass for one reason or another. This was either caused by the service provided by staff, both on board and by booking in person and via the interwebs. On three occasions, the sailings were running very late. There are several other things worth pointing out as well such as the state of the ship, in particular the car deck area, which is a giant health and safety risk.

I travelled with Norfolk Line in June and the entire experience was fantastic. The staff were very pleasant, the prices were good, the ships were in good order and whilst speaking with staff about the steam packet, they agreed that the steam packet operation was a joke.

Back on topic, I need to sail around Christmas but the new sailings have put a stop to that, looks like I will be flying.

Archived