Steam Packet - Oft Petition

Amadeus

The hard fact is you are not going to get a result by petition alone.

To the Steam Packet they will look at the sums, and as of the 6th November only 1237 have signed the petition, of a population of 78003; that’s 1.6%.

This does not account for the endless business passengers, or the growth of TT week that keeps the Steam Packet ticking over. The Steam Packet will emphasize more on its customer service to keep its regular customers happy; knowing it has a monopoly on the island; however, they will not consider you as vital to its success.

However, I agree, as a student from (we'll accept anyone, i.e. me) Manchester business school, that is plagued with overseas students, it is a pain to see them getting home before me with ease and for less than a third of the cost. However, that is the price tag of living on an Island. I, emphasis on the word, NEED to get home at cost, and as the boat is much cheaper than flying it will always be my first choice; resulting in me working around the timetable

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply
....will look at the sums, and as of the 6th November only 1237 have signed the petition, a percentage of 78033 of the population; that’s 0.02%.

However, I agree, as a student from Manchester business school...

So should you...and so should Manchester Business school by the looks of it :lol:

ah, good point, its late... liverpool have won 8-0 and a bottle of wine later... etc etc, but back to the point

Your point was based around the error that number of people who signed was almost 80x smaller than the amount who actually did. Manchester Business School must be so proud ;)

I was under the impression that timetabling was what the petition was about. Not just the media then!

It's amazing isn't it? - how easily the truth can get so distorted. Read the original petition. PR is a great game!

Shaggy.gif Zoinks! According to the 11pm news on MR just now - the number signing has gone down to nearly 900 :o Where did the other 400 signatures dissapear to?

Zoinks! According to the 11pm news on MR just now - the number signing has gone down to nearly 900 :o Where did the other 400 signatures dissapear to?

And what would Scooby do? :)

1243 as we speak

....will look at the sums, and as of the 6th November only 1237 have signed the petition, a percentage of 78033 of the population; that’s 0.02%.

However, I agree, as a student from Manchester business school...

So should you...and so should Manchester Business school by the looks of it :lol:

On a more serious note:

1237 represents around 1.6% of the population. However, the population consists of all types so you need to discount people under 16 (realistically 18), and some of the very old who haven't used the SP for years. A better approximation would be to consider the 30,000 households on the island - and a look at the petition arguably shows few family members signing it individually - in fact they are pretty much cancelled out by those signing one entry as a couple etc.

So my view would be that the petition is actually closer to 1200/30000 = around 4% of households. Considering the petition is only available online, and only around 50% of the population is online - this infers to me that perhaps another 4% of the population would be likely to readily sign it, making the real total so far closer to 8%. The only way to prove this would be to do door to door signature collecting. Add to that, the arguable fact, that many of those people who are not online are likely to be lower paid (that's using Internet user demographics) and thus more likely to have to use the boat when travelling, and I suspect many more signatures are likely to be available in that part of the population.

If nothing starts to happen over this petition, I for one would be happy to join people collecting signatures door to door - until someone in government realises that something has to be done. People shouldn't underestimate the strong feelings over this. A government consultation would be a good start.

Slightly off topic, wait until late Feb/early March when the Ben goes in for servicing, we'll have the seacat back for Liverpool, and the Emeraude France, (the Sea Express sister ship) covering Haysham, with a freighter carrying the freight. Of course the weathers ok at that time of the year so there won't be any problems with cancelled sailings. Will there?

ah, good point, its late... liverpool have won 8-0 and a bottle of wine later... etc etc, but back to the point

Your point was based around the error that number of people who signed was almost 80x smaller than the amount who actually did. Manchester Business School must be so proud ;)

100 x more like... me forgetting to apply.

I am not faulting that a petition isn't a good place to start and commend its quick success, but until people refuse to use the company they are not going to feel the effect. However, like myself, people will always find ways to work around the reschueduling of boats; and there is still a margin for prices to be increased that people will be willing to pay. People need to get places, i need to get home to see my family for christmas, and vice versa people need to get off the island for such activities.

100 x more like... me forgetting to apply.

No, it's just shy of 80x. I used that maths thing again.

Anyway, the rest of your post I can sort of see your point. The problem is that the Steam Packet are in a position where they have a product that everyone needs and they know that they can pretty much do what they like, people will just have to suffer it and make their own allowances. I've personally had to cancel four trips away in the next six months because I can't get there and back in a day and I have too many other commitments to stay overnight. It's not practical to travel by air so I'm completely stuffed. I was also planning on going away with my car to shop on a day trip, but I can't do that either. Sure, it's unique to me, but I'm not alone in suffering massive inconvenience and cancelling trips.

Archived