Wait For The Legal Challenge

bluemonday

From Manx Radio

An application for hundreds of apartments to be built in Peel has been turned down by the planning committee.

Dandara wanted to develop fields at Ballawattleworth, but has been told its proposals would have little in common with the town's character.

The planning committee says the scheme is premature because, according to the strategic plan, the 1,000 dwellings which are needed in the area are either already approved or could be made available by conversions.

The committee adds the development would be of inappropriately high density for an edge of town site and the local schools would be unable to cope with the demand created.

Dandara has been told the suggested layout would produce 'an abrupt interface between the built development and the countryside, which would have an adverse impact on the landscape.'

The precise number of apartments included in the plan is not known at this stage.

Is it arrogance or incompetence that makes them come up with these schemes.....?

Both and perhaps a touch of ye olde rustling brown envelopes?

If you actually know anything about the planning system, rather than simply listen to hearsay and rumour, you would know that an appeal against a decision can be made by any interested party (the applicant is obviously is an interested party). This includes objectors appealing against approvals, something that you don’t in many other places. A legal challenge is a different kettle of fish and relates to testing whether there were administrative errors with the decision making process rather than decision itself.

I love the way that the planning committee refuses a planning application and stills gets accused of brown envelope bribery.

You put up a ludicrous plan and get refused because of the reasons given, you come back with a reduced plan, ad infinitum, until you reach a position where acceptance is likely. Called 'testing the water', a common practice.

I've done it and it's fun.

Tesco wanted to build a store in my manor,

I asked for £3M in 106 agreements,

They offered £3000,

We agreed on £30,000.

Job done, Tesco got their store, town got a nice piece of street art and some improvements to the local parks. Everybody happy.

I can't see a problem.

But, I would like to see the proposal from Dandara, I need cheering up.

Because it is:

An opportunity to own a property just minutes away from the Island's most picturesque and ancient location.

Breathtaking views over the beautiful sunset City.

Where all amenities are within walking distance with the added bonus of a frequent bus service.

A home built by the Island's leading developer.

You too can live in one of these luxurious apartments where dreams come true,

. . . . where your visions for the future will break into harmonious reality.

A partnership made in heaven - Peel, Dandara and you.

Come home to Peel.

Because it is:

An opportunity to own a property just minutes away from the Island's most picturesque and ancient location.

Breathtaking views over the beautiful sunset City.

Where all amenities are within walking distance with the added bonus of a frequent bus service.

A home built by the Island's leading developer.

You too can live in one of these luxurious apartments where dreams come true,

. . . . where your visions for the future will break into harmonious reality.

A partnership made in heaven - Peel, Dandara and you.

Come home to Peel.

Ahh, well that's sold it to me.

I say allow development of brownfield sites only until the existing built environment is fully utilized.

The only flaw being the distinct lack of true brownfield sites on the Island.

What about all that horrible flat stuff out Jurby way?

I say allow development of brownfield sites only until the existing built environment is fully utilized.

The only flaw being the distinct lack of true brownfield sites on the Island.

What about all that horrible flat stuff out Jurby way?

Yes, there is some but no way near enough to meet serious housing needs. The use of brownfield sites (more properly known as previously developed land) is much more of a viable option in places that have/had significant industry. The Island has limited industry and therefore limited previous developed land.

I understand that DLGE have plans for more housing at Jurby (not sure how much demand there seriously is.

Well the reason they are building apartments is they have priced the houses beyond the first time buyer and now are building concrete rabbit hutches for £140.000

I have to say that peel seems to have had its fair share of development over the past few years and maybe they should move on to jurby or where ever they plan raping next. :angry:

Archived