Psp Advice Required Please

Cret

I'm getting extremely tempted to get myself a PSP as I have a few quid that I wouldn't normally have, and already have a PS3 so it sounds like the two devices can do some handy stuff like streaming (and possibly playing PS1 games on the PSP somehow if true?).

What I'd like to find out though is which version of PSP hardware/firmware etc I should go for. I'd like to be able to get the most from it that I can depending on what sort of stuff can be done, given that I'm not averse to tinkering around with things.

Any PSP gurus out there that can give me a few pointers on which to get, and any really good links/must haves etc etc?

Sure it doesn't make any difference but I'm not arsed about UMD aspect of it as it seems a huge waste of money buying those.

Many thanks

I'm no guru on the subject but from what I've read you're better getting a pre slimline model, if you wish to take advantage of the homebrew. Also you have to manually eject the disks by pulling the tray out with your hands instead of the eject button.

The reviews all made it out to be very nice but a little less robust but I wouldn't know.

I had an early model and enjoyed it and it has some really neat features, but felt it a little too much of a home console for my liking. By that I felt it a little less pick up and play than the DS which is why I traded in for one.

Like anything depends what you want from it.

But to answer your question, from what I've read if it was me I'd go for a model pre slim line.

Cheers Rich. Do you know why the earlier models are preferable? I think I read that you can stick whatever firmware you want on any model although I could be mistaken (not that I know at the moment what advantages that gives as such, but I presume you need a certain firmware version to run homebrew stuff).

I already have a DS and I love it (mainly only play Mariokart and Advance Wars), but I like the multimedia aspect of the PSP as it means I can stick a big HDD in the PS3, then add all my music, then stream to the PSP which I can plug into any other stereo in the house presumably. For instance.

I agree the PSP has it's place and it will work well with your PS3, and the multimedia features are good.

From what I've read (I can't comment for sure) the problem is that home brew and custom firmwares need modifying to support the slim model.

I'm pretty sure the hardware spec is higher on the model though so it's really down to personal preference.

I think if you're a modder you may want the older version but if you're happy to wait until the mods are more widely supported then go for the new one.

A couple of useful links:

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=86649

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/569423

I posted a long reply earlier but i fekd it up lol

If your getting the psp purely for the psp=ps3 connectivity id leave it a bit. It sounds great dont get me wrong and has huge potential but tbh at the moment, the novelty of being able to listen to what uve got on ur ps3(or pc if ur ps3 is connected to it) doesnt last very long.

There are early signs of whats to come with the likes of lair, a ps3 game which you can play through the psp. Cool, but its early days so its far from perfect .

If i didnt already have a psp id wait until the homebrew scene has caught up a little with the psp slim & also the usefullness of the psp-ps3 thing has become much better.

A couple of links-

http://ps3.qj.net/

http://pspupdates.qj.net/

http://www.ps3forums.com/index.php

http://community.eu.playstation.com/forumd...55&langid=4

Thanks for the comments folks - much obliged.

I'm still highly tempted to get one and to be honest am considering the newer version.

Yes the modding side of things might be slightly more lacking with that but will I'm sure catch up in due course.

The next thing is that I've got the option of having one bought in the US and brought back for me (not sure whether it will get past the tax or not...) - which I think would work out at maybe £85 for a new one.

Now I think this would mean the UMDs would be NTSC not PAL, and I'd need a uk charger maybe, but are there any other downsides to getting a US one other than if it breaks it's tough?

I don't car about UMDs as I think they're a waste of time, so as long as the games are ok I'm guessing this might turn out to be a nice little bargain....

I'm not sure there is a region lock on the PSPs but can't confirm for definate. I'm sure a google would tell you.

You'd need a plug adapter for the charger, probably cost about £2.

You should still be covered by a warranty because it's still a new product with a years warranty. I don't know whether you could get Sony UK to honour it but in my opinion they should since you could have bought it on holiday or could have lived in the states and moved to the UK etc.

If all else fails to get a warranty you could send it back to the states but obviously that could prove a little cost prohibitive, so I'd be more inclined to give Sony UK a hard time over it.

Apparently the games are not fussy about where the machine is from, just the films. A lot of people seem to prefer having NTSC ones anyway as they can buy the films cheaper from the US, but I don't intend using it for films except on memory stick.

I've read that the charger is 110-240v so will also work here but need an adaptor as you say.

All sounds quite good really, and hopefully it'll be nice and not break!

Archived