[BBC News] Official bonfire displays 'safer'

Newsbot

Trust the BBC to lead with a 'Nanny State' article. We had bonfires at home when I was a kid. If you want to get your fingers burnt that's up to you. When were living accross the council cancelled bonfires in the local park due to 'health and safety'. One council last year actually projected an image of a bonfire on a screen!

Hilarious, do tell, which Council was it?

Woolacombe in Devon. Quite absurd. Due to Health and Safety plus insurance the actual fire was cancelled. Instead they hired an enormous screen and projected a moving image of a bonfire. Fortunately the Royal Marines at Chivenor held a normal bonfire so everyone could have a bit of fun in the old fashioned way.

I don't think Woolacombe are trying that stunt this year; even in these cissy times they were subject to local ridicule.

Yep, I would agree that fireworks are dangerous but then life is a terminal illness and I would prefer to have a bit of fun before I snuff it.

The problem with fireworks has always been their misuse. For some reason it is acceptable that explosives are on general sale to the public - that may sound like an exaggeration but that is exactly what they are.

For once, the Manx authorities must be congratulated on doing something positive and taking real action. Sales of fireworks are thankfully restricted to just 2 weeks of the year, with a licence/permission required outside this window; the sale and use of them is also reasonably well controlled, in contrast to the UK where it seems like a free-for-all with neds running round causing havoc. :angry:

Thankfully over here the trend is still towards spectacle rather than something that sounds like it should belong in Baghdad. Now, I'll happily stand on the Prom/Onchan Head and watch the Corpy's TT lightshow or any other organised display, but what I can't stand is uncertainty of where one will go off next - especially as a dog owner.

At this time of year though, I'm damn glad I'm here not "on the adjacent isle"! :huh:

Organised displays safer eh?

I can remember at least 2 occastions where roman candles at the Onchan Park displays fell over and fired flaming projectiles straight into the crowd

I remember that one... i was about 5 people away from the person that got hit by it! It was far to windy they shouldn't have gone ahead.

As for backyard ones... well I can't say much I had one last year.... and it was to be honest, a huge mistake! - We won't be doing that again!!!

The best one I've ever went to was the one up the Creg na Baa as a kid! - Mum and Dad would tuck into a couple of drinks and we would have fun with the other kids up there and have sparklers and toffee apples!

Organised displays safer eh?

I can remember at least 2 occastions where roman candles at the Onchan Park displays fell over and fired flaming projectiles straight into the crowd

I remember that one... i was about 5 people away from the person that got hit by it! It was far to windy they shouldn't have gone ahead.

As for backyard ones... well I can't say much I had one last year.... and it was to be honest, a huge mistake! - We won't be doing that again!!!

The best one I've ever went to was the one up the Creg na Baa as a kid! - Mum and Dad would tuck into a couple of drinks and we would have fun with the other kids up there and have sparklers and toffee apples!

I remember the creg bonfires when Pete ans Sue fargher used to run it, oh what fun it used to be throwing a bin liner full off oxy/acetylene mix gas on to the bonfire.

The kids dont know how to have fun these days.

The problem with fireworks has always been their misuse. For some reason it is acceptable that explosives are on general sale to the public - that may sound like an exaggeration but that is exactly what they are.

For once, the Manx authorities must be congratulated on doing something positive and taking real action. Sales of fireworks are thankfully restricted to just 2 weeks of the year, with a licence/permission required outside this window; the sale and use of them is also reasonably well controlled, in contrast to the UK where it seems like a free-for-all with neds running round causing havoc. :angry:

Thankfully over here the trend is still towards spectacle rather than something that sounds like it should belong in Baghdad. Now, I'll happily stand on the Prom/Onchan Head and watch the Corpy's TT lightshow or any other organised display, but what I can't stand is uncertainty of where one will go off next - especially as a dog owner.

At this time of year though, I'm damn glad I'm here not "on the adjacent isle"! :huh:

Get your facts right Sparty. Think you will find that sales of fireworks have been restricted in Scotland since 2004, under the following guidelines. Can't speak for the whole of the UK though.

Firework Guidelines:

The sale of fireworks is restricted to those who are apparently over the age of 18 years.

All retailers are required to register the premises used to store the explosives with Environment Services.

Fireworks must be kept in a cabinet, which is not accessible to customers.

Officers of the Trading Standards Team carry out inspections and test purchases during the Bonfire Night period.

You don't see boxes upon boxes of fireworks in shops anymore, and they aren't advertised in shop windows either. The police are controlling it under the same laws of selling alcohol and tobacco to under 18s.

In the last couple of years there haven't nearly been the same amount of fireworks going off well before November 5th. Over the weekend there have been a few, with last night and tonight being a bit louder, but nowhere near the Beirut impersonation of previous years.

Edited to say: It's now nearly 8.30pm, and I haven't heard a firework in the last half hour!

Archived