North Quay Improvements In The News

nipper

Manx Radio

As if to redress the balance of bad publicity towards Mr Hannay recently, Manx Radio have broken the News that the North Quay improvements are, er, continuing. Thanks Manx Radio for that.

To be fair, the North Quay is starting to look rather super.

To be fair, the North Quay is starting to look rather super.

I think it looks crap. Stacks less parking in a town that's desparately short of parking. A bizzare raised road level with the paving, so even now the lovely stones have been driven all over and are covered in tyre marks. Check out the new pavement going into Newsons car park, it's virtually black. It's also inconsistant, different style of road and paving up to quines corner for some bizzare reason. It's a bloody mess.

I think the lack of parking will kill any daytime business along the harbour, for instance I would usually pull up across from Newsons and nip in for a pair of gloves or whatever, but now I would probably drive round to Bobby Sadler as I where I can park outside

I also think people will only bother to walk down there if the weather is fine

But no matter how nice the space on North Quay is made to look it still looks out onto an industrial estate, so it's taken over a decade of planning to not even do half the job

Say what you like about DD or Lord Albert, but they would have done the whole job for half the money in a tenth of the time

I think it looks crap. Stacks less parking in a town that's desparately short of parking. A bizzare raised road level with the paving, so even now the lovely stones have been driven all over and are covered in tyre marks. Check out the new pavement going into Newsons car park, it's virtually black. It's also inconsistant, different style of road and paving up to quines corner for some bizzare reason. It's a bloody mess.

I actually like the general look of it, but why they used different style paving and road layout (raised/not raised) on the same stretch, bugger knows... The fencing that's there at the moment looks terrible and will no doubt be replaced by some more of these stainless steel "accident waiting to happen" bollards. Some new lamp protection / seating thingies there now as well.

Q1.jpg

Q8.jpg

Q7.jpg

Q2.jpg

Q3.jpg

Q6.jpg

Q5.jpg

Q4.jpg

Amadeus,

Serious question. Why have you (if it was you) hidden the reg plate of the yellow car outside the Bridge?

I know you see this happening on the news say if a celebrity is involved, which seems fair enough but I noticed the other day that the reg number of a car driven by a wife swap participant (on the telly not in Douglas!) suffered the pixillation treatment.

It seems peculiar to vehicles. Tthere are plenty of images of bystanders who can be recognised in the background when news is reported from a particular location yet a cars anonymity appears to be of more import to that of a person.

Just curious

It's a bloody mess. You can't polish a turd, the quay is an industrial area mostly, why would anyone want to walk down it when the proms just 1/2 a mile away?

That money would have been far better spent on the prom, and leaving the quay as parking and getting home from Tesco's without faffing with a swing bridge.

Amadeus,

Serious question. Why have you (if it was you) hidden the reg plate of the yellow car outside the Bridge?

I know you see this happening on the news say if a celebrity is involved, which seems fair enough but I noticed the other day that the reg number of a car driven by a wife swap participant (on the telly not in Douglas!) suffered the pixillation treatment.

It seems peculiar to vehicles. Tthere are plenty of images of bystanders who can be recognised in the background when news is reported from a particular location yet a cars anonymity appears to be of more import to that of a person.

Just curious

Just one of the things I usually do when publishing pics like that - mainly to avoid complaints or anything in case someone doesn't like their car to be identified. I'm sure there's a legal basis there somewhere as well, but I couldn't tell you the page it's written on :)

I fail to see what they've improved with this scheme. The whole traffic flow pattern has been modelled by a four year old with a box of lego cars, the parking is terrible and the shops are suffering. The place looks out of character with the other surroundings and it's a colossal waste of money.

I'm not sure about the way they've done it, but I think it's good that they've done something. It's nice to sit outside the pubs on the quay on a summer afternoon. It can be fairly sheltered, but catches the sun and there's something about the boat masts bobbing around that is really relaxing. Not so relaxing that you start masturbating or pooing or something, though - that would be awful.

It's a bloody mess. You can't polish a turd, the quay is an industrial area mostly, why would anyone want to walk down it when the proms just 1/2 a mile away?

That money would have been far better spent on the prom, and leaving the quay as parking and getting home from Tesco's without faffing with a swing bridge.

I think there's a case for trying to improve the quay. Done up the quay could be very pretty and would make a nice little area for cafés and little shops.

I'm not sure about the way they've done it, but I think it's good that they've done something. It's nice to sit outside the pubs on the quay on a summer afternoon. It can be fairly sheltered, but catches the sun and there's something about the boat masts bobbing around that is really relaxing. Not so relaxing that you start masturbating or pooing or something, though - that would be awful.

Sod Freedom to Flourish, that should have been our branding slogan!

Archived