Ramsey Swimming Pool

Pat Ayres

It has come to my attention that Ramsey swimming pool, when it is closed, can not be handed over to the community as a facility for the following reasons;

1 The wall between the cafe and pool includes asbestos, while it is left alone and unbroken it is perfectly safe. This can't be guaranteed if it were a community centre.

2 The tanks below the pool have not been cleaned for a number of years. ? So, what doe this mean? Does anybody know?

3 If the pool stopped existing and the water were drained it could cause subsidence and threaten the integrity of the foundations of Kings court, the block of flats next to it.

These reasons were given by a politician, according to my source.

They all sound like as much bollocks.

This begs some questions;

Has the site already been promised to a developer?

Why is this information not already in the public domain?

What would happen if it was just left up and handed over to the town?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It has come to my attention that Ramsey swimming pool, when it is closed, can not be handed over to the community as a facility for the following reasons;

1 The wall between the cafe and pool includes asbestos, while it is left alone and unbroken it is perfectly safe. This can't be guaranteed if it were a community centre.

2 The tanks below the pool have not been cleaned for a number of years. ? So, what doe this mean? Does anybody know?

3 If the pool stopped existing and the water were drained it could cause subsidence and threaten the integrity of the foundations of Kings court, the block of flats next to it.

These reasons were given by a politician, according to my source.

They all sound like as much bollocks.

This begs some questions;

Has the site already been promised to a developer?

Why is this information not already in the public domain?

What would happen if it was just left up and handed over to the town?

reckon you hit the nail on the head there my son.

What would you use it for? Who'd pay for it? There is a community centre at the infant school, there's the youth centre and there's soon to be a third sports hall. Why would you want to use a redundant building of which, more than half can't be used because it's got 2 big, deep holes in it.

A future development may include leisure and entertainment facilities, that building is quite awful and the site could do with redeveloping.

But the present owners should have removed it - just like they have done on schools??

I suspect they may contain bio hazards - such as old socks and bullshit

Which was built first? Not knowing much of its history.

Whats the problem with filling it (the hole) with concrete?

Archived