Is There Really More Money Available In The Iom Economy?

spock

It is noted that your politicians report often on an increase in the overall wealth of the Isle of Man and in the press this week there is a headline "Interim reports highlight Island success stories".

One story however does not seem to tally with the headline.

In the article with the above headline it is reported that Manx Radio's profitability for the year ended March 31 was down £87,441. There was no refund (to Government) of advertising revenue.

This prompted a look at its accounts that have been published on its own web-site. Those accounts show that the Turnover for the year reduced from £1,190,000 to £1,114,000.

Is this reduction indicative of the other radio stations? i.e. did their Turnovers increase or decrease?

If the Turnover accross the board is down then how does that relate to an expanding economy?

I dont think you could use Manx Radio as a barometer for the Manx economy

3FM & Energy are bound to have thinned out the advertising revenue

Oh yes you should. As spock says there is an absolutely hilarious feature on it as one of the five most successful Manx businesses in this week Examiner business section. I nearly fell of my chair laughing.

You have to look at the notes as the turnover shown in the P&L is after various charges as more specifically set out in the notes. Seems to be a higher depreciation charge in the year; so it is not just a downturn in revenue, although there does seem to have been a fall, but not as great as a direct comparison of the net turnover for each year in the P&L.

I dont think you could use Manx Radio as a barometer for the Manx economy

3FM & Energy are bound to have thinned out the advertising revenue

Oh yes you should. As spock says there is an absolutely hilarious feature on it as one of the five most successful Manx businesses in this week Examiner business section. I nearly fell of my chair laughing.

we tried to contact the publishers today to clarify with them "why did they include a business with less turnover and less profit as a "success story"?" - but they did not respond - maybe the universal translator did not convert the question into an understandable format.

Archived