Do You Shop Local?

He is over the last

Good Evening Steamers

As all on here have obvious access to a computer, I wonder how many of you seek out your local supplier.

May I ask if you could kindly answer, in an honest fashion the below questions?

1. Would one feel it is right that there is a monopoly on the loaf?

2. Would one feel it is right that there is a monopoly on animal slaughter (same meat different packaging, hence different price)?

3. Has one ever bought meat, veg, fish and or cheese from an internet shop?

4. Would one believe in a free market and hence be able to purchase ones goods from where ever one chooses?

5. Would one feel that it is OK to buy consumer goods outside of the Island but get really upset when it comes to food and Supermarkets?

6. Do you shop mainly in the Supermarkets or search for local produce?

7. Has one taken a long hard look at oneself on a truthful basis to be able to say I support the local economy wholeheartedly?

One could be self sufficient if one wanted to but unfortunately advertising and hype makes most like sheep, wealth power and greed (a consumerisms sales person dream?).

Choo Choo

He is over the last

Good Evening Steamers

As all on here have obvious access to a computer, I wonder how many of you seek out your local supplier.

May I ask if you could kindly answer, in an honest fashion the below questions?

I don't believe there is. Have to say for sliced bread; Ramsey Bakeries Gold Crust. For uncut bread: Tesco's Finest Farmhouse White.

2. Would one feel it is right that there is a monopoly on animal slaughter (same meat different packaging, hence different price)?

The slaughter of animals has to be controlled and regulated; I can't see much scope for competition. I am, however, coming to the realisation that Tesco's meat is pap, Ballacushag is better and the small independant butchers are even better still. It is not just the raw product, but how it is treated after slaughter.

No, it couldn't be fresh.

4. Would one believe in a free market and hence be able to purchase ones goods from where ever one chooses?

Of course.

5. Would one feel that it is OK to buy consumer goods outside of the Island but get really upset when it comes to food and Supermarkets?

Yes, consumer goods are not produced here, but buying local produce feeds up the chain, preserves the farms etc. whereas buying consumer goods here feeds only the local supplier who is then feeding back into the market that you can buy direct from.

My hunter gatherer days are over. I buy from a supermarket, but will choose local produce over imported. Why aren't farm shops open at the weekend?

7. Has one taken a long hard look at oneself on a truthful basis to be able to say I support the local economy wholeheartedly?

Yes, and I do try to support the local economy, but the local economy often makes the local choice a very difficult one. For example, I recently bought a big telly, locally, not as cheap as from, say, Dabs, but it worked into my budget perfectly. The price of the stands, however, was horrendous with no deals to be done. Hop onto eBay and I secured one at half the price, including shipping. So what do you do? Support the local economy where it has an added benefit (such as installation and ongoing service) that exceeds any price benefit, but shop around where there is no service element and you just want a good price.

One could be self sufficient if one wanted to but unfortunately advertising and hype makes most like sheep, wealth power and greed (a consumerisms sales person dream?).

Well, that is human nature and survival.

Choo Choo

He is over the last

No, one wouldn't. And there isn't.

Not sure about this one. There isn't a monopoly if meat is allowed to be imported. (which it is) Can the island support more than one modern abbatoir?

Yes, one has, but only a meat that is unavailable on-island.

Yes one would as far as that is practical.

One would feel that it is ok, and one wouldn't get really upset. One feels that this is the same as the last question really but worded differently.

I spread my purchases around in what I think is a fair way.

No. One doesn't see what the point of that would be. That said, one will purchase quality local produce if one feels the producer deserves support, and one is willing to pay a premium for this type of produce.

Hmm. One appears to be waffling now. Not this one. That one.

There is of course a way to deal with all of these issues. Shop at Shoprite. Their latest poster campaign informs all that they are 100% Manx, and proud of it. (the cynic in me suspects this is just some nonsensical drivel dreamed up by whatever loopy fantasists Shoprite employ to brainstorm these juvenile catchphrases, but surely I'm wrong?) lol,lol......; )

Archived