Manx Radio Staff Redundancies

traveller

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Enery and 3FM have their place, but if you want to know what is going on you can't beat Manx Radio. The Talking Heads show is great and I often would listen to the Out and About show to. I hope 3FM do well but my first choice is Manx Radio.

Damn, I missed the Guardian interview this morning - think it was scheduled for 11am this morning and it was open to callers/questions. Don't suppose anyone heard it then? Would be interested to know how close to the wind they sailed :-)

I have to say, I have been listening to Manx Radio for the last week or so here and there - I am not a particularly big radio listener, favouring my own suspect music collection :-) Perhaps I am therefore not in a position to comment as to whether or not things have improved but having said that, it certainly sounds ok to me. I don't think the new website is particularly a cause for complaint as things of this nature always have teething problems and are usually dealt with as they are debugged which generally involves user feedback.

Edited to add: One thing I would like to see, and not just on local radio, is a little braver reporting on current affairs. I don't mean recklessness, as I am all too aware of potential litigation, but sometimes surely it is ok to report on something that is a little controversial without bowing to pressure which doesn't necessarily carry any clout. I think we need to stick out our necks just a little more but that it should be a considered judgement.

Edited to add: One thing I would like to see, and not just on local radio, is a little braver reporting on current affairs. I don't mean recklessness, as I am all too aware of potential litigation, but sometimes surely it is ok to report on something that is a little controversial without bowing to pressure which doesn't necessarily carry any clout. I think we need to stick out our necks just a little more but that it should be a considered judgement

To back up any revelations or exposes you need people to speak.

All to often, journalists know something but face a wall of silence. Very frustrating.

To really dig deep is time consuming and labour intensive. Unfortunately, local media rarely has such resources to do this 'investigative' stuff.

Basically a repeat, seedy tax haven, dodgy companies, money laundering,etc., all the old cliches.

Edit - Note to Stu. If Manx Radio are going to interview Guardian "journalists" please don't let a DJ do it. Get someone like yourself to do it, someone who can counter the claims with something more than "um, yes"

Oh dear :-(

I would hope that we could've been in a position to counter the tax haven type claims, money laundering etc ..... oh well. Didn't anyone ring in to challenge his ill informed views?

I'm not too sure what Manx Radio were hoping to achieve.

The guy has slagged off the IOM in an article. They get him on the radio, and instead of Stu, John Moss, etc. interviewing him and challenging some of his claims they just give him a few minutes of airtime (part paid for by the IOM Govt / us) to slag us off again without any attemp to get him to justify his claims.

It was a completely one sided interview, a total embarrassment. I bet the guy couldn't believe his luck being interviewed by someone like Chris Williams

Edit - Obs, I just heard the repeat interview itself, and not any of the programme before or after it. I'd be interested to hear if there were any followups to it.

Maybe they never had an answer to his alegations, maybe his report is true. In Tynwald today it was said that the Government were using a UK legal term in subjudice as we have no such ruling on the IOM. It was also said in Tynwald that revenue coming into the Island over the last two years has greatly reduced and that Government should take care on its spending, Mr Cretney said something like the government should go after harder ways of attracting revenue rather than the quick fix its doing now. It was also said that the island was suffering from an emigration of its wealth and population. If thats true why are they saying we need more houses.

The Guardian story could just be what the Island needs, I good kick up the ans. We witnessed a new member of the Keys being welcomed to the House today< Mr Eddy Teare, a man who has come from a sound financial background, can he bring fresh Ideas in or will he get swamped by the others, only time will tell but have we got any time left. One of the MHKs mentioned raising revenue by way of further stealth tax ?? :o

And as for the waste management debate which has been going on for ages, and the costs of running the Rolls Royce of incinerators, not one has come out with what will be the Governments answer import waste from the UK just to keep the fires lit, do they not think we get more than our fare share of other peoples crap.

Sorry simon for my grammar, you must be a sad git if all you can do is slag people of for poor grammar.

i don't come from a office background so that is why my grammar is so bad, i admit it.

i will do a 100 lines before bed time

"simon says i must improve my grammar"

Well I just heard a replay of the interview on the news in the car just now and I was disappointed. The reporter was unchallenged and I personally feel some of his statements were inaccurate. Had I been the interviewer and had I known that I was interviewing this reporter I would like to think that I would have done a little background research to be able to challenge his views. I'm not berating the interviewer, I just would have liked to have heard him come back at the reporter with a little more than the IMF clean bill of health statement which was subsequently poo-poohed.

Archived