Using Xbox 360 With A Lcd Monitor

ramsea

I have been trying to connect my Xbox 360 Elite to my Hyundai monitor with little success. The model is the one on the below link:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct....=17&subcat=

I am using a HDMI to DVI cable which runs from the xbox HMDI output to the monitor DVI input, but when I turn them on the monitor doesnt recognise the xbox? Screen stays black and theres no signal.

I have searched the internet for hours trying to find a solution but I am unable to find one.

Only thing I can think of is the cable is wrong...can HDMI to DVI only go one way? I have used the cable to run from the DVI output on PC to the TV HDMI input and it works fine.

Any useful comments will be really appreciated...thanks

You can actually use a component to DVI adapter which is what I use and gives a much more vibrant image than VGA to DVI does.

HDMI > DVI should work however and as it's a PC monitor I still think it's likely to be resolution.

You can actually use a component to DVI adapter which is what I use and gives a much more vibrant image than VGA to DVI does.

That makes absolutely no sense at all. Converting analog component (yuv) to DVI (rgb) is better than analog RGB to digital RGB?

Isn't componant limited to 1080i too, while VGA/HDMI can both do 1080p?

HDMI > DVI should work however and as it's a PC monitor I still think it's likely to be resolution.

Resolution or HDCP..

HDMI to dvi is usually a faff, because a hdmi cable carries the sound. You can also have issues with HDCP which is supported on HDMI but not generally on DVI monitors. If the monitor has vga, a vga cable is the cheapest and easiest way to connect to it, in my book. If the monitor doesn't have VGA but does support analog, a VGA to DVI connector is peanuts (usually ships with most graphics cards these days). Sound will still be a faff like..

Also bare in mind that pc monitors usually run at high native rez, unlike tv's. Consoles therefore look fucking dire on them, because you're using the monitors own downscaling. Or it'll be letterboxed..

Ramsey: Is your monitor DVI-D?

It might make no sense but it's the best picture I can get on my set.

My LCD is a very early HD compatible one, there is no component input and no HDMI, just one DVI.

I've tried VGA to DVI which looked really good but wasn't so vibrant. But using component to DVI it's just as sharp but has no tearing and is nice and vibrant.

My set won't do 1080p anyway.

If you can really tell the difference between 1080i and 1080p you've got better eyes than me, admittedly that's not hard but the point is the pictures only as good as your eyes and your opinion.

There's no such thing as best, just an opinion on what you believe is best.

It might make no sense but it's the best picture I can get on my set.

Might be that you're going from component to DVI-A? Is it actually a converter box or what?

My LCD is a very early HD compatible one, there is no component input and no HDMI, just one DVI.

Ahh, sounds like it's not digital then, which makes more sense.

I've tried VGA to DVI which looked really good but wasn't so vibrant. But using component to DVI it's just as sharp but has no tearing and is nice and vibrant.

The tearing is a vga sync problem on certain 360 games. I use component myself like, but that straight into a telly rather than any kind of conversion.

If you can really tell the difference between 1080i and 1080p you've got better eyes than me, admittedly that's not hard but the point is the pictures only as good as your eyes and your opinion.

There's no such thing as best, just an opinion on what you believe is best.

Well that's not quite true, particularly lossy conversion vs an adapter cable. As for difference between 1080i and p, it depends mostly on your screen size. You're not going to tell the difference on a 32", but on a 50" you will, particularly with text.

Most are bidirectional, it's more likely to be a resolution issue. Try changing the resolution settings on the XBOX.

Shouldnt it automatically select the correct resolution? How should I go about changing the resolution...connect it to the tv and change it from there? Is that good for the TV...what if the screen goes black there...how do I see what I am doing? Sorry for these questions, but I really have no idea...thanks for your comments.

Ramsey: Is your monitor DVI-D?

Now after thinking about it, I am thinking that my dvi input must be analogue which is why its not working. Im gonna try a VGA lead as that'll hopefully work...any ideas where I could pick one up on the island?

Cheers guys

No it will always use the resolution it was last set to.

When you change the resolution it will sit on a timer which if you don't confirm the settings will revert back to the last one, so you shouldn't end up with a blank screen you can't work with. There's also not many resolution options.

Try 720p as a resolution and see if that works,

But if you think the input is Analogue then it's more likely to be that.

Gamesmaster, Woolies, Game or HMV may stock a VGA lead.

If you want a component to DVI adapter it will be an Ebay job as most places don't even believe they exist.

ok now sorted, not sure if it was from changing the resolution or turning the box off before connecting it to the monitor, or a combination of the two, but either way I get to play Forza whilst the missus watches tv...ace!

Cheers for everyones comments.

Archived