[BBC News] Manx lessons free for phone users

Newsbot

A free course? Why would anyone pay for it? If it is that important to save then they should start paying people to learn Manx - at least then there would be some incentive for people who are adept at learning multiple languages. The few Manx speakers that I know are fairly insular and have learnt it as an expression of anti-Englishness.

Hey cool you could learn Manx text speak.

CH NE1 DY LOOR U CNGEY LOL!

Actually, the real thing arguably looks more ridiculous.

Cha nel dy liooar un çhangey

Which means what? Hee...heee

Last 10

I think it's something like "there is more than one language."

My Manx isn't exactly 100%, so I'm sure someone will correct me :D

Keyboarder- so parochial you don't understand the word "insular"!

Yes we are indeed islanders, but certainly not monocultural. Amongst the Manx speakers I know I can count fluent speakers of German, Chinese, Japanese, French, Irish, Welsh, Scottish Gaelic, Breton, Italian, Hebrew, Hungarian and Czech. The important point is that we have also fallen in love with our own language - because it is a beautiful language. To suggest that we speak it as an expression of anti-Enlishness is offensive and wrong.

A free course? Why would anyone pay for it? If it is that important to save then they should start paying people to learn Manx - at least then there would be some incentive for people who are adept at learning multiple languages. The few Manx speakers that I know are fairly insular and have learnt it as an expression of anti-Englishness.

Who is "they"?

Archived