Poppy Appeal

La_Dolce_Vita

No it's not...Britain is usually referred to as meaning the UK (a sovereign state consisting of Great Britain and Northern Ireland - and not the Isle of Man), or is short for 'Great Britain', an island to the north west of Continental Europe (and not the Isle of Man, nor Northern Ireland - which of course are/sit-on separate islands). The only thing the island 'is in' is the British Isles.

I can see how this is a grey area, what with the word Britain having no official status as opposed to Great Britain, but as far as I'm concerned the Isle of Man is a part of Britain.

No it's not...Britain is usually referred to as meaning the UK (a sovereign state consisting of Great Britain and Northern Ireland - and not the Isle of Man), or is short for 'Great Britain', an island to the north west of Continental Europe (and not the Isle of Man, nor Northern Ireland - which of course are/sit-on separate islands). The only thing the island 'is in' is the British Isles.

I can see how this is a grey area, what with the word Britain having no official status as opposed to Great Britain, but as far as I'm concerned the Isle of Man is a part of Britain.

It's not a grey area - it's perfectly clear.

Here's another interesting fact: During the period of Julius Caesar as proconsul and his visit to Britain during 55 and 54 BC Caesar referred to the Isle of Man in his Commentarii de Bello Gallico to 'an island called Mona which lies midway across the sea separating Britain from Ireland.

So nope, I don't think you are right at all. But rest assured, especially since this is a poppy appeal thread that many people fought and died for you to have free speech, even if you do decide to use the opportunity to talk complete b*llocks.

It's not a grey area - it's perfectly clear.

Ok, I was being polite - it's perfectly clear to me too.

Here's another interesting fact: During the period of Julius Caesar as proconsul and his visit to Britain during 55 and 54 BC Caesar referred to the Isle of Man in his Commentarii de Bello Gallico to 'an island called Mona which lies midway across the sea separating Britain from Ireland.

That is an interesting fact indeed. But quite irrelevant.

So nope, I don't think you are right at all.

Uh, I didn't actually pose you a question. And it doesn't matter to me what you think.

But rest assured, especially since this is a poppy appeal thread that many people fought and died for you to have free speech, even if you do decide to use the opportunity to talk complete b*llocks.

Uh, why have you self censored that word- many people fought and died for you to have free speech, and it's fairly obvious what you meant.

But rest assured, especially since this is a poppy appeal thread that many people fought and died for you to have free speech, even if you do decide to use the opportunity to talk complete b*llocks.

Uh, why have you self censored that word- many people fought and died for you to have free speech, and it's fairly obvious what you meant.

Because I only have one 'O' on my keyboard. Anyhow 'b*llocks' is in the OED.

And as far as I am concerned Greenland is part of Africa

Yes, we are British citizens. I suppose it is the difference between whether the Isle of Man is part of Britain and your saying as to whether we are British citizens.

Not bought a poppy. Never do. I can remember the sacrifices that people made without buying a red thing although I have occasionally bought a white one but they're not easy to buy on the island.

It's not just about remembering. The donations are used to help war veterens.

I think it is bit of a shitty system how the only service that cares for the veterans is a charity. Not to say that the British Legion does not do a good job but it should not be funded by donations from the public.

Yes, we are British citizens. I suppose it is the difference between whether the Isle of Man is part of Britain and your saying as to whether we are British citizens.

We are Britons, and British citizens, and are in the British Isles (though since 1922 many in Ireland don't think 'British Isles' includes Ireland). In legislation, the British government uses the term British Islands to refer to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, together with the Crown dependencies (i.e. us).

We are neither in Britain (because this is the big island that England, Scotland and Wales sit on) or the United Kingdom (which currently includes all the countries in Britain and Northern Ireland). However, IMO, if Scotland were to gain it's independence, Scotland would still be in Britain, and Scots people would still be British, and English people would be British - just as people from Mali and Kenya are all from Africa and are all African. The UK would then have to be referred to as something like 'Britain (except for Scotland) and Northern Ireland' or just 'England, Wales and Northern Ireland'.

Manx people are classed as British citizens, but if they do not have a grandparent or parent born in the UK (or have not lived in the UK for less than 5 years), they don't have the same employment rights - so in thoses cases are sort of a second class British Citizens - with less rights than EU foreigners in the UK.

We are also bang in the geographical centre of the Atlantic Isles - so maybe we should just call ourselves 'Atlanteans'.

Manx people are classed as British citizens, but if they do not have a grandparent or parent born in the UK (or have not lived in the UK for less than 5 years), they don't have the same employment rights - so in thoses cases are sort of a second class British Citizens - with less rights than EU foreigners in the UK.

We are also bang in the geographical centre of the Atlantic Isles - so maybe we should just call ourselves 'Atlanteans'.

Oh is that right. I remember being asked when I renewed my passport whether I had parents or grandparents who were born in the UK. I didn't bother to ask why.

As an Englishman living in England I have a British passport.

I thought Manxmen also had British passports and are British citizens, or am I just wrong?

We are all surfs to the same Queen.

Well actually you have an EU passport showing you as a citizen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

I have one which says I am a citizen of the United Kingdom and Islands

Both allege we are British subjects. I don't like being subject to anyone, sorry

The GB thing is difficult. I think historically Britain was England and Wales, Romans never got to Scotia, and after Union in 1707 with Scotland it became Great Britain and then the UK

However it may also be that its Great Britain as oposed to (little) Britain, ie Brittany

In Irish Little Britain is Wales but exactly the same words in Scots gaelic mean Brittany

Well actually you have an EU passport showing you as a citizen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

I have one which says I am a citizen of the United Kingdom and Islands

Mine says EU, British Islands - Isle of Man, but states that I am a British Citizen. I have always put British-Manx as my nationality on any paperwork I have filled in, even though there is technically no such thing - but I do so to make a point.

Archived