Fireworks On Douglas Beach

nipper

Yeah Minxie it was something to do with the tides not being right on Monday. Remember when we were allowed to have bonfires on the beach? They nannied all that away and now you can have bonfire night, but, health and safety will not allow a bonfire and although there will be a nice pretty fire work display, it will not be happening until the 10th November...obscure.

Remember Remember the 10th of November.

As long as the bonfire is within the designated bonfire period it's O.K!

Don't you just love progress?

P.s .

I've heard on the grapevine in Peel ,that Christmas Day in Douglas this year will be on January the 1st!

I was in a bah humbug mood before and even though I could have watched the display from the comfort of my hovel, I just shut the curtains and wus grumpy for 1/2 an hour. Pretending I had a dog that was shitting itself every couple of seconds as the bangs went off.

I must say though, when I drove past later, there was quite a nice atmosphere down on the promenade, like what Slim was saying, but I reckon it was nothing compared to when I was a real nipper.

Bonfire night was far better fun when you could spend the past coupla months scrounging anything that would burn and taking it to your area's bonfire along the beach, making a den in it, trying to outdo the next bonfire along the beach and all that. Bonfire gangs were ace and our gang was the best.

On the night (the real night that is) you did your own thing as far as entertainment was concerned. This was in the days before they invented barbecues and so you could use the bonfire for cooking some food and all that - a real treat.

In all those years I never knew of anyone having an accident. Not just fireworks but the whole bonfire collecting thing - we even rolled down the cliffs in herring barrels. But that was in the days when there was herrings. It was also in the days before Health & Safety was invented too.

Happy Bonfire Night?

My Arse

Struck out because that tone and sentiment was used very recently in the title of this thread

My best "Bommie Night" was in my early teens when we blagged all of the used bus tyres from the old York Road depot for our bonfire

One of us had access to a van so we managed to get tons of other flammable stuff, making our fire the biggest we had ever built

My Mum made "Parkin" a kind of treacle cake and my dad got hold of a load of out of date distress rockets and flares from his mate in the SPCo.

We had a bonfire so fierce no-one could go within 100 yards and the Merchant Navy spec fireworks put the crappy Standard ones in the shade

Nobody died or was even seriously injured and the area round the bonfire looked like Ground Zero for about twenty years

Archived