[BBC News] Parks closed to deter vandalism

Newsbot

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Five parks and squares in the Isle of Man close to the public in the evenings a bid to reduce vandalism.

I'm sure the genius that thought of this idea will be the first with his ugly mug in the paper complaining about kids drinking in and vandaliosing the prom and strand street.

What do they suggest teenagers do here now even the parks are closed?

Erm - stay in and do their homework?

Five parks and squares in the Isle of Man close to the public in the evenings a bid to reduce vandalism.

I'm sure the genius that thought of this idea will be the first with his ugly mug in the paper complaining about kids drinking in and vandaliosing the prom and strand street.

So you think it's a bad idea?

No, just pointless

No, just pointless

Why pointless?

its not good for the people that live in the area who maybe would like to go for a stroll with small children or maybe take the dog for a walk after work and sit in the park (provided the weather is good)

they should move the closing hours say after 8pm

whats the point of having a park outside home when you cant really enjoy it ?

No, just pointless

Why pointless?

Because potential vandals can just climb over the railings, how come you didn't deduce that from my first post

Or aren't you paying attention ?

What about people who want to go for a walk in the parks at night? Or want to sit and have a beer with friends (adults not kids)? Why must we all be consigned to drinking in noisy, smoky and crowded pubs if we want a beer?

You want to have a beer in a park, with friends, at night...

Stay in your squat mate

What about people who want to go for a walk in the parks at night? Or want to sit and have a beer with friends (adults not kids)? Why must we all be consigned to drinking in noisy, smoky and crowded pubs if we want a beer?

no smoke in pubs these days, and i thought drinking beer in public places was a bit of a no no judging by the fine if told by police not to be drinking there signs all about the island.

and i thought drinking beer in public places was a bit of a no no judging by the fine if told by police not to be drinking there signs all about the island.

On the contrary I think it's one of the few sensible things you see now in terms of rules & regs now.

The signs say it is an offence to continue to drink after a copper tells you not to.

I.e. it's at their discretion whether they tell you not to or ignore you, meaning someone quietly having a nice beer & not making a fuss is likely to be ignored, whereas a group of scallies being rowdy & being abusive to passers by etc can be told to pack it in.

As for this parks thing - it doesn't seem as if it will achieve much. People who want to have a pleasant stroll through the parks can't, but the brainless morons that want to cause damage will still go in there, secure in the knowledge that they can drink/misbehave/vandalise stuff in peace and without 'normal' people in there possibly dobbing them in!

"We've spent a lot of money on the parks lately, and it's ratepayers' money we are spending here, so we have to safeguard that."

Pleasing to see that the people in charge of the ratepayer's money don't have a clue. Spend the money... then lock the parks so no-one can use them. At 4pm... that blocks off the whole evening.

A very simple solution.... deal with the people who commit the crimes. Our society today puts the limitations on the wrong people. Those people who want to use the parks cannot... those people who never wanted to use the parks anyway (those who vandalise it) will find something else to mess up. Do you think they care? "Gee... they locked the parks. Now we have nothing to vandalise..." ??? Good one Raina! That got em'.

Of all the options that they in authority could pursue.... they decide to lock the parks. Basically - the option that avoids them of having to deal with any issues at all. It's sad that on a small island like this, the police and government are not prepared to deal with the problems. Only turn a blind eye and hope that the 'bad guys' will get bored and run out of [bad] things to do.

Archived