[BBC News] Parks closed to deter vandalism

Newsbot

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So instead of fixing the problem of teenagers having nothing to do, they ban them from everywhere to keep middle class voters happy. My guess is that the only result of this is that we will see more windows in Strand Street kicked in

Kids have never had anywhere to go, that's part of being a kid. Boredom isn't an incentive to vandaism, nor does it inevitably lead to it unless the kids in question already think it's fine to smash up a bus shelter or vandelise a park for a laugh. At its very heart, the problem is less lack of entertainment or indulgence of potential vandals, but the kids themselves, and ultimately the way they've been raised.

Where is Centenary Park?

1931_4.jpg

Apparently up by Birch Hill.

originally a quarry... now a park. Never knew that.. but anyway. Seems a little way out there for vandals!!!

Later the quarry was purchased by Onchan Village Commissioner and used as a tip. It now lies buried in the Centenary Park.

Centenary Park, an area once the Hillberry Tip at Cronk-ny-Mona.

^ further to my last post... is there a centenary park in Douglas too?? It wouldn't seem right for this park (in Onchan) to be one of the parks to be closed by Douglas Corporation.

This was the only park i could find by that name.... :rolleyes:

If you are bothered by the parks closing go visit 5 minutes before closing with some friends (all wearing suits naturaly) and sing "we shall not be moved" when the key holder turns up

If you are bothered by vandalisim go to the open parks after 6 with some friends (all wearing floresent jackets naturaly) and carry torches.

If you are bothered by the parks closing go visit 5 minutes before closing with some friends (all wearing suits naturaly) and sing "we shall not be moved" when the key holder turns up

We could get arrested under the new bylaws for holding such a march without corpy permission (I kid you not).

We could get arrested under the new bylaws for holding such a march without corpy permission (I kid you not).

aye, and with this warning too:

Anybody who is found inside the areas when the gates are locked could be prosecuted for trespassing.

On that note, may I suggest no more napping on the park benches. I can invisage the corporation acting traffic-warden-style and running to lock the gates at 1 second past the hour hoping to catch someone inside!! More money to help pay for these parks which they are locking up.

Agreed. But here is where state intervention could lessen the impact on the rest of society of lazy or bad parenting. What other postersa re talking about is a cure, we all accept the cause.

Is it all about the parents though? I am sure it has everything to do with a lack of respect of others but I am not sure whether I believe it is simply down to parenting. I only say this because I am don't believe that people respect is something that is only learnt from your parents. Yet if particular parents have no self-respect or show none to their children then I can understand. Though the kids may be causing the problem, clearly the problem is not down to the kids but how they are being brought up or the state of society at present. I remember doing a number of things in my teens and I always believed I was there and doing those things because we had nowehere to go. When I was 15 or 16 it was really difficult to think of anywhere to go outside of the house. The Island really doesn't offer much.

I would not agree with any attempt that they state might make to punish these kids with the use of the police. That does not instill respect and would probably lead to a greater lack of it.

aye, and with this warning too:

Anybody who is found inside the areas when the gates are locked could be prosecuted for trespassing.

What is this new by-law about marches?

I think that is shocking about the trespassing notice. I don't see that the government has the right to legislate as where you can or cannot go. Especially in this instance where some kids are making trouble, why should that stop me from going to those parks. I would definitely agree that some measure is needed to prevent them vandalising things and making noise but legislation and the use of the police is completely punitive, although very much the norm on the Isle of Man when it comes to social 'problems', i.e. make it illegal or make the worsen the punishment.

In the short-term, yes, I think it is wise to lock the parks as it would really piss me off if it was going on near my home but it doesn't really solve the bigger problem. I am not giving long thought out remedies here but maybe if these kids are drinking in these parks and underage drinking is such a problem then let them go somewhere to drink that is indoors. You can't stop these kids from getting drink so better they are indoors than outdoors. They have as much right to drink at 15 and 16 as those over 18. Or maybe have these parks better lit at night. Maybe it is better to dissuade them by offering them incentives to go elsewhere, but where do they go?

A very simple solution.... deal with the people who commit the crimes. Our society today puts the limitations on the wrong people. Those people who want to use the parks cannot... those people who never wanted to use the parks anyway (those who vandalise it) will find something else to mess up. Do you think they care? "Gee... they locked the parks. Now we have nothing to vandalise..." ??? Good one Raina! That got em'.

Of all the options that they in authority could pursue.... they decide to lock the parks. Basically - the option that avoids them of having to deal with any issues at all. It's sad that on a small island like this, the police and government are not prepared to deal with the problems. Only turn a blind eye and hope that the 'bad guys' will get bored and run out of [bad] things to do.

I would agree completely with what you say about limitations. The Government does not have the right to put limitations on us. It seems to me they just chose the cheapest and quickest option. I don't know whether the government should or could sort out such problems, effectively anyway. All the government can do is legislate and such legislation would involve punishing these 'bad' people. These aren't really 'bad' people, they are just kids being pratts.

Archived