[BBC News] Parks closed to deter vandalism

Newsbot

This doesn't go far enough!

All young people should be kept in a very big locked cupboard on the Calf until they're old enough to enjoy reading ( and believe everything in ) the Daily Mail, be very clever in the financial world, drive a Tosser tractor and believe everything the Keys says.

No exceptions apart from day release in the care of the Masons for trouser rolling up practice.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem as I see it, is that it only takes 2 or 3 kids to cause thousands of pounds of damage. This then means that all of the other kids miss out, it's the way it has always been and this anti-social behaviour continues because the ones who ruin it for everyone are not being dealt with effectively. When I was 13 - 15 we had the kind of facility that Albert talks about above, games consoles, crisps, pop, heating! But barely a week went by without the same 4 or 5 kids causing problems, they would fight, kick stuff around, break things, take peoples possesions be abusive to the youth workers and nothing was done about it other than closing the facility for a week, which punished everyone.

What can be done to discourage anti-social behaviour? Closing things just moves it on, it's not discouraging them. Some of them will probably revel in the fact they have caused the parks to close, not feel shame at their actions. Like I said, it's probably only a small group of people causing the problems but they aren't dealt with and so it doesn't discourage more kids from doing the same, the group gets bigger and the problem multiplies.

I think the crux of the matter is ,that the corporation /authorities are not dealing with the issue at all?, they're passing the buck!.

Surely if they know there is a problem in certain public areas it can't be too difficult to organise regular park warden patrols in these areas backed up with a police presence, these people were elected on a promise to serve the public?.

It would be nice if they started serving !.

Instead of locking the gates and denying the public access to a facility they are paying for !.

As for young people using the parks ,they have as much right as anybody else to enjoy the facilities ,but if they abuse the privelige then they should be prepared to accept responsibility ,the same as everybody else!.

Five parks and squares in the Isle of Man close to the public in the evenings

Little shits..........5

Decent people....0

But Douglas Corporation find it easier to ban ratepayers from the parks that they actually pay to upkeep just so that they can make them chav-free zones.

Regarding drinking in public. Rather than having lots and lots of signs popping up everywhere about not drinking in that particular area, would it not be a good thing to have a total ban on drinking alcohol in public throughout the Isle of Man? How often do you really need to drink alcohol in public unless you are an underage wee shit intent on either shagging the chav-chick over there swigging the blue wkd or alternatively kicking shit out of a plant or park seat. Whichever comes soonest.

After a lot of negative press both on air and in print, they backtracked and re- opened the changing facilities.

I think something similar needs to happen regarding the parks .

Port Erin Commissioners discovered what happened when their perceived public opinion turned out to be quite wrong over the Bradda Glen debacle. If people do feel strongly they should react to the Corporation.

If many of you feel so strongly about the youth problem, why don't you get out and do something about it? Try to get involved in a sport or club that appeals to you and try to encourage youngsters to learn new sports/skills. Kids are generally good and will take part in an activity if it appeals to them.

Alternatively, do nothing and spend valuable time just sitting infront of your keyboards whining about virtually everything. (Yes, like I am doing now!)

I'm happy to help my children but where are the parent/s of the chavvies we are on about (rhetorical question only, I generally know the answer)

This whole matter rather effects my shortcut to the pub on a Friday night.

Regarding drinking in public. Rather than having lots and lots of signs popping up everywhere about not drinking in that particular area, would it not be a good thing to have a total ban on drinking alcohol in public throughout the Isle of Man?

As has already been inferred, we should not get into the habit of legislating for the lowest common denominator, we should get into the habit of tackling and dealing with the lowest common denominator who abuse our privelages and rights. Failure to do so is a cop-out, and results in the privelages and rights of ordinary decent people being taken away, and leads to the criminalisation of ordinary decent people.

...but surely ordinary decent people do not need to drink alcohol in public.

This opens up another area of debate but it could kill an awful lot of birds with one rather small stone.

This opens up another area of debate but it could kill an awful lot of birds with one rather small stone.

So you've never had a bbq at any beach or park and had a few beers? I don't think people should be prevented from drinking in public, not everyone has their own south facing, decked, patio heated garden. In the summer, it's nice to get together with friends and family and have a drink while the kids run about, I don't see the problem as long as the drinking is done responsibly.

Anything illegal? Partly one of the reasons why I dislike the idea of setting-up laws for this sort of thing is that these kids have had absolutely no say in what laws they and others are to live under. I think it unfair that they and anyone should simply live by the laws that have been set-up by governments voted in by people who can vote. My thinking on this makes me question just why these kids have the level of respect they do in society.

The little shits know the difference between right and wrong and surely that's the point.

You can bang on and on about upbringing, social responsibility, giving them something meaningful to do (apparently they can't think for themselves then), spending money on the effect and not the cause and all the rest of the BS excuses for bad behaviour and guess what? Nothing will change, that's what.

So while their parents have no idea where they are and what they're doing and probably care even less those responsible for spending YOUR money on the upkeep of YOUR facilities have no option but to close them to safeguard YOUR investment. Sure it's a seige mentality and it's very sad but until authority in the shape of parents and/or police start dealing with the little shits then they'll keep on doing it.

So you've never had a bbq at any beach or park and had a few beers? I don't think people should be prevented from drinking in public, not everyone has their own south facing, decked, patio heated garden. In the summer, it's nice to get together with friends and family and have a drink while the kids run about, I don't see the problem as long as the drinking is done responsibly.

I know what you are saying feelslikeitshould but:

I don't know how many times my family have had a picnic on the beach or a quiet afternoon camping, ruined by people coming along and having " a nice get together with friends and family who have a drink while the kids run about".

Inevitably the 'adults' soon start talking loudly, then laughing loudly, then talk pissed loudly. The kiddies are left to run riot.

Contrary to modern pop folklore, barbecue are not mandatory you know. If you don't have a South facing etc. then tough, but don't insist that you need one in public complete with alcohol etc.

I say again. There is no need for decent people to drink alcohol in public. Anywhere.

If you want to "have a drink" try your own private premises. Failing that, there are many and varied licensed premised designed specifically for the purpose.

I don't know how many times my family have had a picnic on the beach or a quiet afternoon camping, ruined by people coming along and having " a nice get together with friends and family who have a drink while the kids run about".

Inevitably the 'adults' soon start talking loudly, then laughing loudly, then talk pissed loudly. The kiddies are left to run riot.

Contrary to modern pop folklore, barbecue are not mandatory you know. If you don't have a South facing etc. then tough, but don't insist that you need one in public complete with alcohol etc.

I say again. There is no need for decent people to drink alcohol in public. Anywhere.

If you want to "have a drink" try your own private premises. Failing that, there are many and varied licensed premised designed specifically for the purpose.

I don't do a lot of drinking myself, I don't really like the taste of anything alcoholic but I know my husband enjoys a nice cold beer at the end of the day and it's even nicer in the height of summer to sit outside and have a drink with friends. Maybe you should keep your picnics and camping in your back garden if you're bothered about other members of the public interrupting your family time whilst in a public place. It could just as easily be a group of people with a couple of dogs that keep running over and trying to nick your sandwiches....people don't need alcohol to be annoying.

If you examine the gates of the parks you will find that they mostly have locks built in to them and that pre-supposes therefore that at some time in the past they used to be locked to prevent access after a certain time. It would be interesting to find out why they used to be locked, and then were not.

If you examine the gates of the parks you will find that they mostly have locks built in to them and that pre-supposes therefore that at some time in the past they used to be locked to prevent access after a certain time. It would be interesting to find out why they used to be locked, and then were not.

40 years ago the parks in Liverpool were locked 1 hour after sunset until about 8.am.

Then it seemed to stop, presumably because they would not pay the gatekeeper. The fences were about 6foot high and we never bothered going there when shut. A cold dark park in winter was not an attractive proposition anyway. I fail to see how anyone can be convicted of trespass on public property, even when shut. I believe in England it is always a civil matter and the only remedy is ejection.

Yes but what your advocating is looking to creating new legislation as if this seems to be the obvious option when there are social problems to be faced. Whether 'decent people' have a need to drink in public is not the point. 'Decent people' can mean different things to different people. Making it illegal is just a case of limiting people's freedoms.

[

The little shits know the difference between right and wrong and surely that's the point?

Exactly the point ! but I also think ' Feelslikeitshould ' is not far wrong when she says that it is probably a very small percentage of kids who use the gardens actually causing the damage !

but until authority in the shape of parents and/or police start dealing with the little shits then they'll keep on doing it.

With regards to criminal damage/vandalism of property

I.M.O.

Kids under the age of 16 should still be accountable for any sort of anti-social behaviour

Name and shame,work parties etc might be worth looking at ?

However once they have paid 'their dues ' no convictions are held against their names !

All you really need ,is a few coppers with the wit to catch the perps ?.

Archived