[BBC News] Parks closed to deter vandalism

Newsbot

Unrelated to this, but can anyone tell me what the hell Douglas Corporation are doing writing to ITV to try to get them to save Border TV?

http://www.manxradio.com/readNEwsItem.aspx?id=11761

What on earth is this to do with Douglas Corpy? They could stick to getting rid of dog crap, emptying bins, and closing parks.

Or is somebody going for MHK next time around and starting early?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So the park in Hutchinson Square is to close. No surprise there then. When I stayed in Hutchinson Square I saw youths sitting drinking in the park to all hours. I saw plants being pulled up by a child of no more than ten years of age. It's really gone to Hell hasn't it. I always thought the IOM was free from that sort of thing. I call for CCTV in ALL Manx parks.

So the park in Hutchinson Square is to close. No surprise there then. When I stayed in Hutchinson Square I saw youths sitting drinking in the park to all hours. I saw plants being pulled up by a child of no more than ten years of age. It's really gone to Hell hasn't it. I always thought the IOM was free from that sort of thing. I call for CCTV in ALL Manx parks.

seconded.

There seems to be no shortage of parking wardens hired by the DOT to keep naughty motorists in check

In fact they do a fantastic job in preventing anarchy and apocolypse breaking out by slapping forty quid penalties on law abiding taxpayers who have the audacity to take their cars into town

I wonder why the local authorities don't hire park wardens to do a similarly brilliant job keeping our public spaces free from trouble

• 1 month later...

Well for many years now I have meandered through the park at Derby Square to and fro' my evening trips to the town.

I am greatly disturbed that I have had to detour this last week or two but tonight, after a Christmas Party, I was pleased to find all 4 gates open and inviting - at half past midnight.

Either the Corporation has realised what a load of bollocks it is to close the park off at night (which I hope) or someone has neglected to lock the gate.

I hope these gates are left open forever more. I see absolutely no reason why they shouldn't be, although I think that as with anywhere these days, the young (and not so young) drunken/drugged wee bastards don't have the consideration to wrap their loudmouthed shite up at night and that is why the park has been closed.

• 3 weeks later...
Well for many years now I have meandered through the park at Derby Square to and fro' my evening trips to the town.

I am greatly disturbed that I have had to detour this last week or two but tonight, after a Christmas Party, I was pleased to find all 4 gates open and inviting - at half past midnight.

Either the Corporation has realised what a load of bollocks it is to close the park off at night (which I hope) or someone has neglected to lock the gate.

I hope these gates are left open forever more. I see absolutely no reason why they shouldn't be, although I think that as with anywhere these days, the young (and not so young) drunken/drugged wee bastards don't have the consideration to wrap their loudmouthed shite up at night and that is why the park has been closed.

is it jobs for the boys because how come one councilers firm got the contract to lock the park at 40 pound a time. the kids are still getting in, and it is also to save the council because can't afford to pay there workers. it is the law that the park must be open from sunrise to sunset

why were all the parks left open over christmas and new year

Archived