day trip to bangor

stopover

homarus

gayboyiom

manin

elleanvannin

playmate puzzle

The Original Munchkin

Bet there's a few names there that've never appeared on a government document before.

Btw nice report, John.

Stav.

Nice to see some of the MF comments have been used in this report. It is quite amazing what has been happening due to the forum over the past year: from the formation of the Safer Island Driving group, the Steam Packet Petition, and now this - as well as many MF items and issues appearing in local newspapers.

IMO politicians should be taking advantage of this forum more, as it is a simple way of maintaining contact with, and gaining feedback from, the electorate. For example, it would be nice to see a few politicians set up their own blogs on here - thus avoiding having to enter some of the threads, yet still contributing. I think if I was an elected politician I would tend to stay out of the threads, and certainly not be inclined to respond to all posts (perhaps doing what John Shimmin, Dudley Butt and Derek Flint do occasionally - post rarely, but succinctly and to the point - without getting sucked into long winded debates).

I do think, however, even though some of these are great results, that people should think carefully before starting petitions etc. - as people can quickly get 'petition fatigue'. Personally, I think the next effort should be next year, with a concerted effort in the run up to the next MLC 'elections' to insist that MLCs are all elected by Joe Public. That would be a great result for democracy on the island, and would receive a great deal of support regardless of what 'party' people would vote for. I also bet, especially seeing the Steam Packet story on the front page of the Independent this week, that PAG and Lib Vannin are both wishing they were this well organised and supported.

Archived