Island Could Go Green?

manxman2004

http://www.iomonline.co.im/ViewArticle2.as...rticleID=886807

interesting article, the second green article i have seen about the Island in the last few weeks, but i do find it interesting these ideas are coming forward after the eye-sore incinerator and the new hospital have been completed.

Maybe i am just a cynic, but i would be interested in other thoughts/comments

These ideas are not new, just recycled (sorry for the pun). The main problems I have seen over the last twenty years is that even though these issues have allot of support on the outside, as soon as it actually comes to the crunch, 90% of supporters will bend to their wallet rather than their conscience.

With one of the biggest governments in the world refusing to act on pollution how can we expect our small government to make a stand.

If we want to change the world we need to force our government to make a stand, but to do this your MHK's need to know that such a stand would receive the voters support and not ridicule. Let them know what you support, don’t just presume they should know.

I for one wholeheartedly support a managed interaction with our planet rather then the virus like attitude we seem to have.

Just a Sunday thought.

Geo

BTW it will be interesting to see if such an important topic gets more interest than the usual innuendos and short term news unworthy topics.

I know there are recycling bins around the place, but perhaps more people would do it if it was easier. Is it right that some places in the UK offer people different coloured wheely bins to sort out recycling rubish from normal rubish.

I have to admit I'm one of the lazy ones who always thinks that recycling is a great idea but doesn't actually do it :( (although I do have a compost bin I use for all grass cuttings and vegetables bits)

Unfortunately, the idea falls flat on it's face when it reaches the words "with some vision and leadership. This the Isle of Man Government we are pinning our hopes upon...

So many energy saving ideas are simple ones and a lot would be feasable here on the Island.

As far as recycling is concerned, to be cost effective it is down to us individuals to take the steps. Why is it perfectly natural and embraced in some countries but begrudged in the Island and the UK?

Maybe we can not change the future of the world when countries such as the USA practically deplete the Ozone layer on their own, but that shouldn't stop us wanting to hold our heads up high for doing our bit.

If the Government wanted to appear serios about the enviroment, why haven't they passed "Smoleless fuels" Legislation?

Coal fires (as pretty as they are) are a big pollutant of the air we breath. There are plenty of smokeless coals around, yet we still regularly churn out tonnes of toxic emmisions, yet those on their high horses complain about the highly filtered (ugly as hell) Incinerator?

Archived