[BBC News] Call to smarten run-down property

Newsbot

It is not just absent landlords that are the problem. One of the partners of the firm which owns the two historical buildings in Castletown Sq is Manx and lives in Port Soderick.

A relative of his says they are waiting for buildings to become so dangerous they will have to demolish them then will be able to build new offices.

They rub their hands with glee as each winter approaches

The Govt and the Commissioners just do not be seen to be able solve this situation

It is not just absent landlords that are the problem. One of the partners of the firm which owns the two historical buildings in Castletown Sq is Manx and lives in Port Soderick.

A relative of his says they are waiting for buildings to become so dangerous they will have to demolish them then will be able to build new offices.

They rub their hands with glee as each winter approaches

The Govt and the Commissioners just do not be seen to be able solve this situation

Hence my suggestion above that buildings allowed to become unsafe or unfit for habitation should be considered as abandoned and possession taken by the local authority.

There's a lot of empty property in Port St. Mary with signs in the window saying "For Sale: Call 8xxxxx". A guy I know rang the number as he was genuinely interested in one of the properties but got strung along by the bloke selling. His impression was that this guy has no intention of selling but has the signs up to try to show people (PSM Commissioners?) that he's attempting to sell and not just sit on the empty property. It's obvoius what this guy is doing but hard to prove.

Further to my previous message.

I noticed Balcony House in Castletown Sq has a Sold sign attached and work inside is underway.

A coouple of questions revealed that the property is being completely renovated for a private buyer as a dwelling.

Archived