Humour? Or Racism?

Lonan3

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The comments simply weren't funny. If you think they were, you have a crap sense of humour. (Yes it is subjective, but nevertheless, I am right and you are wrong if you disagree. And you smell, and your friends don't like you (this is true regardless).)

A court is not the place to try out a crap sense of humour. If you think it is, you shouldn't be in a court.

Normally such comments would not be funny, but delivered by a man in a wig & gown in a position of such authority they are very funny indeed

The law courts are full of wannabe comedians dressed as judges, barristers and the like, in fact I know a very successful advocate here on the Island who's career is built on his dodgy sense of humour

As a lawyer he's the kiss of death, but if you fancy a laugh he's your man

Judges should not be making quips. As anyone else here would know having the pleasure of trawling through umpteen pages of judgement to find the nugget which is the ratio decidendi (the reason for the judgement) can leave your average law student cross eyed and almost suicidal. Then to find that a judge has entered the comedy market would make you wonder why you are looking at judgements at all; much better to read the Mirror.

We all have a sense of humour (and I have to say the legal profession, regardless of what you think, have quick minds, a good use of language and are unassailably witty - that is the essence of a good lawyer), but I would be much happier with the legal system if I could be sure that it was not a platform for narcisism; that can come later when the autobiography is written.

I don't believe that judges are any more impartial than the rest of us

Bear in mind that they are mostly ex barristers and as such have told lies for a living

The judge in the Anne Nichole Smith case was a prime example of someone trying to make a name for himself in the media when he should have been professional & impartial

It's not exactly racism but it's certainly not what is expected of a judge. It seems fair that he was suspended from the case as his comments clearly show that he isn't impartial.

Well what qualifies as racism then? I don't see it as anything else.

I wasn't defending it but I'm sure that most racists wouldn't even claim a guy has a flying carpet. This isn't racist - just idiocy.

Well what qualifies as racism then? I don't see it as anything else.

I wasn't defending it but I'm sure that most racists wouldn't even claim a guy has a flying carpet. This isn't racist - just idiocy.

I can see what you're getting at, but surely racism isn't defined by what "most racists" would choose to pick on. As I see it the judge's comments focus entirely on a caricature of Arabs, and so are definitely racial, but they seem fairly innocuous compared with the more obviously insulting slurs of the BNP and other racist organizations. They are however of a similar nature, and deserve to be classified as racism.

Imagine if a judge said to a black african something like "I hope you'll be able to hear me banging my gavel over the sound of you playing your bongo drums" - most of us would (hopefully) be appalled at such a statement, possibly because we're more sensitive to racism directed towards black people, but it's not that dissimilar to the comments made towards the Sheikh: neither are overtly disparaging about the person in question, but both choose as their focus some stereotype or feature that's been associated with their race. We're outraged by the hypothetical judge, however, because his comments, although not perhaps insulting the person themselves, is belittling them by reducing them to a collection of well worn stereotypes for the purpose of a joke; and so it is the case with regards to the instance we're discussing.

If defendents/witnesses started joking all the time there would be chaos - plus a lot more contempt of court judgements. Humour and emotion do need to be removed from courts, otherwise people don't take the law seriously - and remember the law is above everyone in this country, including politicians and judges. One silly comment in court can follow a judge for the rest of his career.

That said, the definitions of racism I'm hearing on here lead me to believe that we already do live in a theocratic dictatorship. The loose definitions of racism point to a PC brainwashed, scared-to-say-anything bunch of ill-informed leftie educated youngsters. Whatever people say this is still a predominately white and christian country. IMO, 'when in Rome people should do a little more of what the Romans do' - including learning to appreciate a little humour and not see every such statement as inherently racist.

Coming from the island, does that mean I have to break down and cry and take people to race-relations everytime someone makes a joke about me having three legs? FFS! - get a grip.

Archived