[BBC News] Delegation visits USA

Newsbot

The Manx Chief Minister hails his first official visit to the United States as a success.

Has there ever been an International trip that the CM doesn't hail as a success. I'd have more faith in them if once in a while he came back and said not much had been achieved.

Oh look, Alan Bell off on another freebie. No wonder we rarely see him in Ramsey, useless bastard.

Off to Canary Wharf for some R&R afterwards no doubt.

No they were on the lunchtime flight from Gatwick, all with their Virgin upper class labels on their bags.

My fantasy headline:

CHIIF MINISTER HAILS VISIT AS COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME

The chief minister recently returned with his delegation from a no expenses spared trip to Aspen Colorado branded the expedition as "a complete waste of taxpayer's money"

He went on to say "Whilst all members of the delegation had a wonderful time flying business class and staying five star, we achieved absolutely nothing in terms of recognition and increased trade for the Island"

Despite this setback another trip to the Maldives scheduled for January will go ahead, the treasury minister said " we may well come back empty handed from this one as well, but it's bloody freezing in Ramsey"

Well, what do you expect them to do? Sit at home?

We have a major perception problem in the US (they should really be pointing their guns at offshore jurisdictions closer to home) so there does need to be this kind of hand-pressing every now and again. How effective it is, is anyone's guess. As with all PR exercises, the results are not immediately quantifiable. But if they are able to catch the ear of just one person able to carry the message further, then the trip is worthwhile. Cold-calling for a commercial organisation is hard enough, imagine how difficult it must be to cold-call as a tiny jurisdiction, particularly in the face of uninformed antipathy.

Like it or lump it, the finance sector props up and feeds the economy on the Island. There are very many businesses who do a very professional job to the credit of IOM plc.

imagine how difficult it must be to cold-call as a tiny jurisdiction, particularly in the face of uninformed antipathy

I wouldn't imagine these trips are a lot of fun for Brown, Bell et al. They are being far sighted in my opinion and only have the interests of the Isle of Man at heart. There is no doubt that low tax jurisdictions face international pressure. If they can keep the message up that this is a well regulated place then all well and good.

Oh look, Alan Bell off on another freebie. No wonder we rarely see him in Ramsey, useless bastard.

Off to Canary Wharf for some R&R afterwards no doubt.

No they were on the lunchtime flight from Gatwick, all with their Virgin upper class labels on their bags.

You don't get it, I was alluding to the point that a certain gentleman might have a 'pied-a-terre' in the east end and fancy some massage with essential oils after such an arduous trip.

Archived