[BBC News] Delegation visits USA

Newsbot

Has there ever been an International trip that the CM doesn't hail as a success. I'd have more faith in them if once in a while he came back and said not much had been achieved.

Ah, but then wouldn't you just brand the trip a complete waste of money?

Not if it was followed up with a commitment to target future trips to ensure there's a defined goal. At the moment they set off with a vague aim like "networking" and "raising the Island's profile". Well they only need too meet one person who's never heard of the Isle of Man to hailed as a success - but most Manx residents achieve that on their holidays.

There is undoubtedly a need to make some International trips to see how other places deal with certain problems and present the Island's case on occasion, but the presentation of these trips by the CM in particular is like a 1950's newsreel. "Chief Minister Tony Brown returned today from the Seychelles after flying the flag for the Island. Top Ho sir we salute you". My misgivings tie in with my feelings about Brown as a Chief Minister, a roll he came to as a fait accompli whether we liked it or not and were told it was for the best of the Isle of Man to end any debate quickly. In his first year he has seemed condescending to the point of arrogance, it's as if he thinks all he needs to say is "everything's fine" and we will be stupid enough to believe him.

Archived